Is this either bacterial tufts or mucus plugs and how do I get rid of it?

benscorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These fish have been in QT in Chloroquine at 60mg/gal for 4 weeks now. They have all gone through 2 doses of General Cure as well back to back. I dosed kanaplex and metroplex 24 hrs ago and havent really seen any affect. Ive been looking through a lot of other threads and no one seems to have found a cure. What is the best course of action to take? I also have glucan on hand and I also have Ciprofloxacin on hand for baths.

IMG_5022.jpg IMG_5026.jpg IMG_5031.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the fish eating and not breathing fast?
Is the water quality all in line?
What other fish are in the tank?

This may be mucus plugs. Some tangs develop these when stressed, and it isn’t always readily apparent what the stressor is - but in this case, it could have been mixing chloroquine and metro.

It could also be bacterial, but less likely. If it is, the antibiotics can take up to 5 days to begin resolving the issue.

Jay

OP
OP
B

benscorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are all eating. He isn't breathing super fast. The water quality is pretty good ammonia is slightly high but have been dosing prime to keep it in check before I started the general cure and metro and kana. I have a purple tang in another cube that has the same virus/disease however only has a few spots currently but is developing more and nothing else is showing any signs of it. I have an epaulette in there, 12 Chromis, a square pink, a lyretail, a desardin sailfin tang, 6 neon gobies, and a cleaner wrasse. They started way before I dosed the metro or the general cure when all that was in the water as far as chemicals/meds go was the chloroquine.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are all eating. He isn't breathing super fast. The water quality is pretty good ammonia is slightly high but have been dosing prime to keep it in check before I started the general cure and metro and kana. I have a purple tang in another cube that has the same virus/disease however only has a few spots currently but is developing more and nothing else is showing any signs of it. I have an epaulette in there, 12 Chromis, a square pink, a lyretail, a desardin sailfin tang, 6 neon gobies, and a cleaner wrasse. They started way before I dosed the metro or the general cure when all that was in the water as far as chemicals/meds go was the chloroquine.
Well, almost all external bacterial diseases start with an abrasion or injury. I’d say these are mucus plugs. On a lighter colored fish, they wouldn’t be nearly as noticeable.
You might as well continue with the Kanaplex, just for added security.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I do water changes to take out the chloroquine as well?

Yes, it’s been four weeks. Here is a thought: degradation of chloroquine happens, but at an unknown rate. Some people try to offset that by partial dosing after the first dose. That can lead to an overdose situation. If you just added one proper dose, four weeks ago, that wouldn’t be an issue.
Jay

OP
OP
B

benscorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Dosed metroplex and kanaplex another 3 times to no avail. Lost a few more fish and then decided to do a tank transfer to a new system with the same salinity with completely new salt water and then dosed metroplex and kanaplex the first night, and symptoms went away 90% in the first 6 hours and then completely over the next 3 days.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Dosed metroplex and kanaplex another 3 times to no avail. Lost a few more fish and then decided to do a tank transfer to a new system with the same salinity with completely new salt water and then dosed metroplex and kanaplex the first night, and symptoms went away 90% in the first 6 hours and then completely over the next 3 days.

Here is a thought: mucus plugs result from some type of environmental stress. you moved the fish to a new tank. What if that removed the environmental stress at the same time?

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back