Is this Flukes I'm Dealing With?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I'm really sorry for making a similar post earlier but I didn't notice how early it was due to where I am and I don't know how to delete my former post. This is pretty important though since I'm traveling internationally in 1 week...a few days ago I bought two small butterflyfish for my new FOWLR tank and I'm having trouble getting them to eat anything, despite seeing them picking at rocks. However, today one of them has been staying in the dark cave I made with rocks as if he's trying to avoid the light or maybe he's lethargic and trying to sleep. The other continues to swim around and pick at rocks some. I've looked at them closely and until today I didn't notice any white spots. Now there are a few on each one's tail (but only a few). I think they've both been breathing a little bit heavily since yesterday. I know fish take time to adapt to a new tank and I'm not trying to rush that process, I just want to be sure they aren't sick. I've tried pellet food, fresh clams in the shell, and today I tried Masstick which they were clearly interested in since they both (even the one hiding) swam over to where I put the Masstick but they won't eat it despite being clearly interested. What does this sound like to you guys and how do I treat it?
BTW, the girl in the store said they were pellet trained, I just forgot to ask to see them eat in the store.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I'm really sorry for making a similar post earlier but I didn't notice how early it was due to where I am and I don't know how to delete my former post. This is pretty important though since I'm traveling internationally in 1 week...a few days ago I bought two small butterflyfish for my new FOWLR tank and I'm having trouble getting them to eat anything, despite seeing them picking at rocks. However, today one of them has been staying in the dark cave I made with rocks as if he's trying to avoid the light or maybe he's lethargic and trying to sleep. The other continues to swim around and pick at rocks some. I've looked at them closely and until today I didn't notice any white spots. Now there are a few on each one's tail (but only a few). I think they've both been breathing a little bit heavily since yesterday. I know fish take time to adapt to a new tank and I'm not trying to rush that process, I just want to be sure they aren't sick. I've tried pellet food, fresh clams in the shell, and today I tried Masstick which they were clearly interested in since they both (even the one hiding) swam over to where I put the Masstick but they won't eat it despite being clearly interested. What does this sound like to you guys and how do I treat it?
BTW, the girl in the store said they were pellet trained, I just forgot to ask to see them eat in the store.
What species are they?
What size are they?
Any other fish in the tank with them?
Can you post a short video of them? The rapid breathing can be a super serious symptoms.
What are the water quality test results for the tank?

Flukes do not cause fish not to feed or breath fast until the infection is near terminal. I'm more worried about water quality issues or velvet - those issues stop a fish from feeding and cause rapid breathing from the very start.

Jay

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a yellow butterfly (C. andamanensis) and I believe the other is an auriga but not sure 100% because not all his colors have come in yet

They are very small and are the only two fish in a FOWLR

No other fish in the tank

I don't have my phone with me right now so I can't post a video but they're definitely breathing rapidly...to be honest, I think the yellow one is about over for

It's a newly cycled tank and nitrates are about 15 since I've been trying to get them to eat, I've been adding a little too much food but have been doing water changes to keep the nutrients down...phosphate is a little high because of this

I didn't expect velvet since I've dealt with it before and the spots are so sparse they're barely noticeable...I pinned the lack of eating on them being young and not adjusted to what I was trying to feed them because they were picking at the rocks until today
What species are they?
What size are they?
Any other fish in the tank with them?
Can you post a short video of them? The rapid breathing can be a super serious symptoms.
What are the water quality test results for the tank?

Flukes do not cause fish not to feed or breath fast until the infection is near terminal. I'm more worried about water quality issues or velvet - those issues stop a fish from feeding and cause rapid breathing from the very start.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a yellow butterfly (C. andamanensis) and I believe the other is an auriga but not sure 100% because not all his colors have come in yet

They are very small and are the only two fish in a FOWLR

No other fish in the tank

I don't have my phone with me right now so I can't post a video but they're definitely breathing rapidly...to be honest, I think the yellow one is about over for

It's a newly cycled tank and nitrates are about 15 since I've been trying to get them to eat, I've been adding a little too much food but have been doing water changes to keep the nutrients down...phosphate is a little high because of this

I didn't expect velvet since I've dealt with it before and the spots are so sparse they're barely noticeable...I pinned the lack of eating on them being young and not adjusted to what I was trying to feed them because they were picking at the rocks until today
The auriga shouldn't be a problem feeder. I haven't worked with andamanensis, but my understanding is that they are like speculums and bennets, so can be a bit hit or miss getting them to start feeding.

Very often, primary velvet symptoms are not feeding and rapid breathing. the spots, if they even show, are very small and come on later in the infection.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Were they eating only pellets at purchase? When I had my pet store, most butterflies took days for them to eat and it was brine shrimp and clam on the shell.
I was then pleased to see them pecking on glass and rocks and a good sign IMO. As Jay stated- eating is hit and miss as is Masstiks food for finicky fish. I would ask for a handful of those pellets store said they were eating and see if it changes things.
Any red blotches/patches on their skin ?
Are you able to increase O2 with an airstone/pump ?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The auriga shouldn't be a problem feeder. I haven't worked with andamanensis, but my understanding is that they are like speculums and bennets, so can be a bit hit or miss getting them to start feeding.

Very often, primary velvet symptoms are not feeding and rapid breathing. the spots, if they even show, are very small and come on later in the infection.

Jay
That would actually make sense since I have another tank currently in fallow because of velvet. I was trying to be really careful but it must have gotten cross contaminated so far...Thank you for telling me like it is even though it's obviously not what I was hoping to hear...it's a FOWLR so I guess I can start a fallow period with the heat turned up...I've lost a good number of fish over the past year to velvet and it's kinda discouraging since I even went through a fallow period earlier this year only to find out that there were still a few parasites alive somehow

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were they eating only pellets at purchase? When I had my pet store, most butterflies took days for them to eat and it was brine shrimp and clam on the shell.
I was then pleased to see them pecking on glass and rocks and a good sign IMO. As Jay stated- eating is hit and miss as is Masstiks food for finicky fish. I would ask for a handful of those pellets store said they were eating and see if it changes things.
Any red blotches/patches on their skin ?
Are you able to increase O2 with an airstone/pump ?
No red blotches but yes, I've been using two air stones to increase oxygen as much as possible...the yellow one died during the night, the other looks about the same as last night...he's still active at least

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Since I'll be traveling internationally next week, what's my best course of action? I have cupramine but I know it takes a couple weeks at the right concentration to kill all parasites on the fish...I'm not sure my friend who's going to be watching my fish knows how to do water changes to keep the ammonia down during the cupramine treatment. What should I do?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I'll be traveling internationally next week, what's my best course of action? I have cupramine but I know it takes a couple weeks at the right concentration to kill all parasites on the fish...I'm not sure my friend who's going to be watching my fish knows how to do water changes to keep the ammonia down during the cupramine treatment. What should I do?
Sorry, logistically this is going to be an issue. Cupramine is pretty stable, I think if you get it up to a full dose, it will stay pretty close to the proper dose while you are gone, but the ammonia will be a problem since you can’t use ammonia detoxifiers with Cupramine.
Jay

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, logistically this is going to be an issue. Cupramine is pretty stable, I think if you get it up to a full dose, it will stay pretty close to the proper dose while you are gone, but the ammonia will be a problem since you can’t use ammonia detoxifiers with Cupramine.
Jay
What would you recommend that I can use ammonia detoxifiers with?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
Can I put zeolite in the hospital tank for the ammonia or will that cause the copper concentration to change?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I put zeolite in the hospital tank for the ammonia or will that cause the copper concentration to change?
Zeolite doesn't work in seawater, only freshwater. You would need to manage the ammonia level through water changes and/or bacteria supplements like Dr. Tim's.

Jay

Back