Is this Flukes or something else??

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this guy from TSM two weeks ago. He came in in great shape and immediately was acclimated to a 55 gallon conditioning tank. As the fish was quarantined by TSM my plan was simply to observe for two weeks then transfer to display. The 55 gallon was set up from dry tank two days prior to the fish arrival.

I firsT started to notice his appearance four days ago. He acts the same as he has from day one. Still a very aggressive eater. No accelerated or labored breathing. Might be light sensitive as he comes out more when I turn the tank light off.

This will sound strange but I swear the same stuff in him is also on the glass. I have attached a picture to show. The third picture shows the comparison where I cleaned the glass for the picture .
5387A15F-E8C4-4C5D-8462-496D7A5F7BD5.jpeg
AF41B534-6BFE-431E-83C1-72D2F41F8090.jpeg
C962FE31-A04E-4418-8068-76C760B13AC5.jpeg
6BEA3D62-463B-45B5-A1C0-A166BFC5E241.jpeg

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like Ich to me. Let's see what the experts say. Awesome you didn't put it directly into the display. What fish was in the observation tank previously, how long ago, and did you treat prophylactically with copper? I only ask to help understand sources of potential cross -contamination.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like ich. ich is microscopic to our eyes so that’s not what you see on the glass. The white dots you see on the fish are the the places the ich parasite has left the fish, leaving a tiny wound. It’s a beautiful fish, I hope it pulls through!
Edit to add: you can do a freshwater dip to confirm if flukes are present. This will also provide temporary relief from the ich until you decide if you are going to treat or manage.

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful annularis, I hope he makes it. I'd say looks like ich as well. Dry tank prior would indicate it got through TSM's quarantine process. I know they state how thorough they are, do they have any guarantee that livestock is pest or disease free?

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That second picture to me looks like velvet. But it’s kinda hard to tell from the glass as well.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this tank was dry and hadn’t had fish in it for a couple weeks before the Annularis. I didn’t treat the fish with anything as TSM pre quarantines their fish. Thanks!
Looks like Ich to me. Let's see what the experts say. Awesome you didn't put it directly into the display. What fish was in the observation tank previously, how long ago, and did you treat prophylactically with copper? I only ask to help understand sources of potential cross -contamination.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It saying no to ich at all but two points. It didn’t show up until ten days after I had him and there wasn’t an inciting event to change the balance or at was level of the tank. Second TSM emailed me back at 6:35 this morning and asked me if the white spots on the glass move. I look at the do move around the glass! Appreciate the input and looking to start treatment today.
It does look like ich. ich is microscopic to our eyes so that’s not what you see on the glass. The white dots you see on the fish are the the places the ich parasite has left the fish, leaving a tiny wound. It’s a beautiful fish, I hope it pulls through!
Edit to add: you can do a freshwater dip to confirm if flukes are present. This will also provide temporary relief from the ich until you decide if you are going to treat or manage.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful annularis, I hope he makes it. I'd say looks like ich as well. Dry tank prior would indicate it got through TSM's quarantine process. I know they state how thorough they are, do they have any guarantee that livestock is pest or disease free?

I would have to look and see if they offer any type of guarantee but it really doesn’t matter much to me. I honestly don’t think there is a QT protocol that you could provide a 100% guarantee.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That second picture to me looks like velvet. But it’s kinda hard to tell from the glass as well.
Hopefully not. Fish hasn’t flashed at all, doesn’t show any labored breathing, doesn’t wink in power head and the outward slime coat manifestations have been present for five days now.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does not look like flukes to me at all. There was several threads on here where humble fish and a few others did fresh water dips to test for flukes.

The second picture does LOOK like ich. But I have to think that whatever is on the glass is something else.

Maybe @Big G can weigh in. Or @HotRocks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Appears to be Velvet. First recourse is to give the fish a freshwater bath at matching tank temp. Flukes if present will also fall off looking like sesame seeds. Velvet has a lifecycle similar to ich and confused with ich. Velvet’s lifecycle is typically faster coveringfish in 4 days on average, and the attacking free swimmers are more numerous than ich. Also, velvet dinospores can remain infective for up to 15 days, where with ich , it’s only 48 hours because velvet tomonts and dinospores are both capable of using photosynthesis as a means of obtaining nutrients allowing them to multiply.
After freshwater bath, your treatment options are :
Formalin – Do the bath for 30-60 minutes max, but remove the fish immediately at the first sign of distress. Aerate heavily both before & during the bath, and temperature control the water. The following products contain formalin: Formalin-MS, Quick Cure, Aquarium Solutions Ich-X, or Kordon Rid-Ich Plus.
After bath, place fish in QT. While in QT, use a wide spectrum antibiotic such as Seachem Kanaplex, or Furan-2 for the first week to ward off any possible bacterial infections. Secondary bacterial infections are very common in fish with preexisting parasitic infestations such as velvet.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It saying no to ich at all but two points. It didn’t show up until ten days after I had him and there wasn’t an inciting event to change the balance or at was level of the tank. Second TSM emailed me back at 6:35 this morning and asked me if the white spots on the glass move. I look at the do move around the glass! Appreciate the input and looking to start treatment today.
Did they say what might be on the glass?
Also, what treatment are you planning on?

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appears to be Velvet. First recourse is to give the fish a freshwater bath at matching tank temp. Flukes if present will also fall off looking like sesame seeds. Velvet has a lifecycle similar to ich and confused with ich. Velvet’s lifecycle is typically faster coveringfish in 4 days on average, and the attacking free swimmers are more numerous than ich. Also, velvet dinospores can remain infective for up to 15 days, where with ich , it’s only 48 hours because velvet tomonts and dinospores are both capable of using photosynthesis as a means of obtaining nutrients allowing them to multiply.
After freshwater bath, your treatment options are :
Formalin – Do the bath for 30-60 minutes max, but remove the fish immediately at the first sign of distress. Aerate heavily both before & during the bath, and temperature control the water. The following products contain formalin: Formalin-MS, Quick Cure, Aquarium Solutions Ich-X, or Kordon Rid-Ich Plus.
After bath, place fish in QT. While in QT, use a wide spectrum antibiotic such as Seachem Kanaplex, or Furan-2 for the first week to ward off any possible bacterial infections. Secondary bacterial infections are very common in fish with preexisting parasitic infestations such as velvet.
Will dip him soon and move to a new sterile tank. Any ongoing velvet treatment that you would recommend after dip?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Will dip him soon and move to a new sterile tank. Any ongoing velvet treatment that you would recommend after dip?
I like formalin in whole. You can give copper treatment if it persists but formalin or quick cure should work.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back