Is this flukes? Please help

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this blue flasher wrasse a week ago from a new fish store I’ve never tried before. It’s in qt and I’ve noticed a few symptoms:
Cloudy eye on the right side
Not swimming around just hanging out in the bottom corner of tank
Doesn’t swim too well
Looks like white stringy and big poop

I did a freshwater dip and found these fall off of it, it’s circled in black below. I’ve never dealt with flukes before and I’m in Canada so I’ll have to hope it crosses the border and any help about using prazipro would be appreciated.
C0FA258D-44C1-444C-BD68-5E9981033CFB.jpeg
A03499E3-ACA0-432E-B250-4B25A66A8527.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The focus isn’t real good - only one type of fluke, Neobenedenia , is large enough to be seen in dips without a microscope - they are oval, but two of these look round.
Hyposalinity works for flukes.
Is the wrasse still eating? It may have multiple issues.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just got this blue flasher wrasse a week ago from a new fish store I’ve never tried before. It’s in qt and I’ve noticed a few symptoms:
Cloudy eye on the right side
Not swimming around just hanging out in the bottom corner of tank
Doesn’t swim too well
Looks like white stringy and big poop

I did a freshwater dip and found these fall off of it, it’s circled in black below. I’ve never dealt with flukes before and I’m in Canada so I’ll have to hope it crosses the border and any help about using prazipro would be appreciated.
C0FA258D-44C1-444C-BD68-5E9981033CFB.jpeg
A03499E3-ACA0-432E-B250-4B25A66A8527.jpeg
It is possible but a difficult pic to work with due to reflections. Some symptoms generally are rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color.
Youve described some of these symptoms so, I would recommend treating in quarantine opposed to display tank which you technically can.
Treatment will be Prazi pro and recommended to dose at 80% of recommended and allow it to do its thing for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The focus isn’t real good - only one type of fluke, Neobenedenia , is large enough to be seen in dips without a microscope - they are oval, but two of these look round.
Jay
Still eating but not like the other flasher in there, only eats a little bit

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible but a difficult pic to work with due to reflections. Some symptoms generally are rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color.
Youve described some of these symptoms so, I would recommend treating in quarantine opposed to display tank which you technically can.
Treatment will be Prazi pro and recommended to dose at 80% of recommended and allow it to do its thing for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
It has a few of those symptoms for sure. I’ll order the prazipro and just hope it gets here in time to save it. Thank you for your help! It’s greatly appreciated

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
Not sure if this pic is any better
272B0FA3-9B9E-45D4-80C4-3BED5E985415.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not sure if this pic is any better
272B0FA3-9B9E-45D4-80C4-3BED5E985415.jpeg
sort of. neobendenia flukes are visible by the naked eye and if so best treated with hypo salinity opposed to prazi pro and this is unconfirmed as to if flukes or not

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sort of. neobendenia flukes are visible by the naked eye and if so best treated with hypo salinity opposed to prazi pro and this is unconfirmed as to if flukes or not
Okay thank you, I’ve read that ph is super important with hypo is this true? Never done hypo before and want to make sure I do it right

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would prazipro work on them?
Yes, but they are tough to control because they have eggs and the prazi doesn't kill the eggs. You need to dose the prazi multiple times, 8 or 9 days apart to try and break the life cycle. It can take as many as 5 treatments. I prefer to run the fish in half salinity (no inverts of course) for 35 days, that seems to work better, takes less time and is less expensive.

Jay

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but they are tough to control because they have eggs and the prazi doesn't kill the eggs. You need to dose the prazi multiple times, 8 or 9 days apart to try and break the life cycle. It can take as many as 5 treatments. I prefer to run the fish in half salinity (no inverts of course) for 35 days, that seems to work better, takes less time and is less expensive.

Jay
Ok I will give hypo a shot. Thank you for all your help

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Update: lost the blue flasher this morning. But I still have a Mccoskers flasher in the same tank that I added 2 days ago. I’m guessing the Mccoskers will probably get the flukes right? I don’t see any symptoms on it now but I think I still need to run hypo

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: lost the blue flasher this morning. But I still have a Mccoskers flasher in the same tank that I added 2 days ago. I’m guessing the Mccoskers will probably get the flukes right? I don’t see any symptoms on it now but I think I still need to run hypo

Sorry to hear. Yes, the Neo eggs will hatch out over the next 8 to 12 days, and can reinfect the McCoskers.

Jay

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are moving your fish to a hospital tank (or anytime in treatment), I have found it helpful to do a saltwater dip in Ruby Reef Hydroplex. It will kill the bugs on them and provide low stress relief. You will still need the treatment Jay recommends long term.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are moving your fish to a hospital tank (or anytime in treatment), I have found it helpful to do a saltwater dip in Ruby Reef Hydroplex. It will kill the bugs on them and provide low stress relief. You will still need the treatment Jay recommends long term.
I’ll take a look into that, thank you

MarineLunatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there is a bad batch of fish going around at the moment the amount of people that I have seen post this about wrasses in the last few weeks is unbelievable I bought fish from the lfs a few day ago and he was ok for the first half day then he started to look ill and stressed with heavy breathing and stuff the day after he had a few patches and then today one eye was cloudy and he looked really ill I managed to get him out and freshwater dip him with some medicine and when I put him back in the tank his eye had cleared and looks healthy and swimming freely until the last hour in which I has noticed some patches coming back so tomorrow I'm traveling 70 miles to a fish shop to collect prazipol to nuke the entire reef with them bare in mind in the 5 years I have been reefing I never lost a fish or had any pest other than some hair algae and aptasia which I got rid of

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back