Is this flukes?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes can cause cloudy eyes but so can several other parasites. I suggest narrowing this down by process of elimination to ensure you're treating properly. I know you did a FWD for 5 minutes and think you saw something. Try it again since they did well and try 7-8 minuted in dark bucket and see if you see flukes afterwards. Quick question, can you describe the spots you saw in more detail since the previous photo was hard to see anything...

OP
OP
C

codytbuckner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes can cause cloudy eyes but so can several other parasites. I suggest narrowing this down by process of elimination to ensure you're treating properly. I know you did a FWD for 5 minutes and think you saw something. Try it again since they did well and try 7-8 minuted in dark bucket and see if you see flukes afterwards. Quick question, can you describe the spots you saw in more detail since the previous photo was hard to see anything...
The spots kind of looked like ich spots but were single spots on the eye. They were white spots that stuck up like they were attached to the eye. After the dips, they were gone. I’m almost sure it’s flukes. I looked at symptoms of other things and I just don’t see any of those being it. I’ll do another FW dip when I get home this afternoon. Would there be more flukes after yesterday’s dip? If it’s another parasite, can I treat with general cure?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes there could be. You just need to identify flukes for sure. Make sure the RODI water you use for the dip is the same temp and PH as your display. General Cure is not reef safe so if your intention is to treat in DT prazipro would be the best option.

OP
OP
C

codytbuckner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes there could be. You just need to identify flukes for sure. Make sure the RODI water you use for the dip is the same temp and PH as your display. General Cure is not reef safe so if your intention is to treat in DT prazipro would be the best option.
After a second dip, this is what I see in the bucket. Does anyone else see flukes?
0C4C135E-19F4-4E18-AF42-E9488B777E28.jpeg
A4FB620F-D3F9-4D26-A5DE-25C4642FAC63.jpeg

Last edited:

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they look small for flukes but it could be angle or depth of the photo skewing it.

Since you're in front of the dip bucket do they resemble the video at all?

OP
OP
C

codytbuckner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they look small for flukes but it could be angle or depth of the photo skewing it.

Since you're in front of the dip bucket do they resemble the video at all?

After looking at this and the bucket, it’s not looking like flukes at all.......back to square one.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cloudy eye could be a bacterial infection. Since you don't have a QT and the fish are eating you could start by feeding kanaplex + furan2 + metroplex + focus two times daily. See if you have any improvement. This trifecta of meds will handle several possible issues. However, since you stated you saw spots earlier this could be early stages of ich, velvet or even brook. Keep an eye on it and maybe think about a small QT down the road if you intend on getting more fish.

Seanybaggs123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased clowns with similar symptoms recently. One unfortunately didn't make it.

The stress of matching temperature and ph for freshwater dips seems like a lot of work to me. So, instead I gave the remaining clown a 45 minute dip in an ich-x bath (formalin/methylene blue). After that I put him in a QT tank with prazi pro where I could clearly see flukes on the glass bottom.

I have a lawnmower blenny that I got the same day. Since I can't catch him, I've dosed the display tank with prazipro.

Ich-x (formalin/meth blue) will cure a wide variety of parasites, and the prazi will take care of flukes. Personally, I'd rather manage an ammonia spike than guess what the fish may have.

That's what worked for me anyway

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back