Is this GE Silicone ok to use in my sump?

AquaWorldPSC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add to the above:

The reason why I say that is I find that perfecto/AGA silicone has the perfect stickiness, and set time. You don't want something that dries too quick or takes forever to set.

Edit: you can also find it in Kmart, depending on your store.

Last edited:

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having made a GE silicone mistake in the past (despite no anti-mildew warnings on the bottle) I don't understand why people will try and save $4-8 on something so trivial. If you don't want any confusion or have to cross your fingers just spend the $4 on a tube or $10 on the caulking size at any local pet store.

You will spend more money on two fish than you will ever spend on a tube of Perfecto brand caulking, and the caulking will likely outlast the fish.

redddogg69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GE silicone 1 or GE silicone 2, either will do as long as there is no anti-mildew agent. Ideally I would seek out a tube of GE SCS 1200 construction silicone, this is what most tank manufacturers use.

DJ_in_WV

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ge 1 is ok, ge 2 has the mildew rest in it(gold colored tube)it will kill everything in your tank. Kmart carries the allglass tank silicone in 10 oz tubes for caulking gun about 10 bucks. ge scs is hard to find unless you order it most hardware stores dont carry it tho I have seen small tubes with the acrylic sheets at lowes on occasion.

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ge 1 is ok, ge 2 has the mildew rest in it(gold colored tube)it will kill everything in your tank. Kmart carries the allglass tank silicone in 10 oz tubes for caulking gun about 10 bucks. ge scs is hard to find unless you order it most hardware stores dont carry it tho I have seen small tubes with the acrylic sheets at lowes on occasion.

totally wrong!
ge makes both 1 and 2 in anti fungal/mildew also without
there is one full sized tube at home depot that works its a clear window/door/attic/basement formula

you will have to read the back of each one to be sure it doesnt have the mold guard or anti fungal on it
the right stuff will still have a warning saying not for aquarium use.

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best silicone is RTV 103 or 108 made by momentive. It used to be made by GE. If you cannot find it local you can always order it from mcmaster.com.

DJ_in_WV

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the mold and fugicide is the difference between 1 and 2 . For along time ge 1 said aquarium-safe and was removed for some reason I believe it was due to marketing or liability. Read the msda sheets before you call me wrong next time not trying to argue but I have used ge 1 many time and it is fine I wouldnt have even replied on this if I wasnt sure. I have seen this argument on many forums over the years so many times

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the mold and fugicide is the difference between 1 and 2 . For along time ge 1 said aquarium-safe and was removed for some reason I believe it was due to marketing or liability. Read the msda sheets before you call me wrong next time not trying to argue but I have used ge 1 many time and it is fine I wouldnt have even replied on this if I wasnt sure. I have seen this argument on many forums over the years so many times

how about you cart your way down to home depot and look for yourself or i guess my homedepot is the only one that has silicone 1 has with and without mold guard just the same with ge2

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how about you cart your way down to home depot and look for yourself or i guess my homedepot is the only one that has silicone 1 has with and without mold guard just the same with ge2

I have also used Ge I with no issues and not a single tube I have ever purchased has had the mold and mildew guard.

redddogg69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You are correct, anyone who actually goes and looks will find silicone I and II comes both ways, here in Canada the version without mold/mildew has a blue label, not sure if it's the same below the 49th or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct, anyone who actually goes and looks will find silicone I and II comes both ways, here in Canada the version without mold/mildew has a blue label, not sure if it's the same below the 49th or not.

exactly reddog and thats why im sitting here laughing. you cant argue with go look! yes its the same atleast here and to top if off when they order both they can get either type. atleast thats what home depot says

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
vasilithegreek

vasilithegreek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help guys. Im glad I could spark up some debate ;) If you go onto lowes web page and type in ge silicone you can click on the right side for fungal or not(something like that) but I used the ge 1 like recommended and man you can get high off of that stuff

Krazy_Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went and bought the GE Silicone 1 at Lowes and figured it would be fine since "100% Silicone" is the same from GE or an aquarium brand. I wanted to do some more research prior to my sump build and when I looked it up I was glad I did.

Shop GE 9.8 Oz. Clear Silicone at Lowes.com

Click on "Specifications" and you will notice that while it is 100% Silicone it is also Mildew Resistant. Gonna "splurge", get the real deal and avoid the headache.

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went and bought the GE Silicone 1 at Lowes and figured it would be fine since "100% Silicone" is the same from GE or an aquarium brand. I wanted to do some more research prior to my sump build and when I looked it up I was glad I did.

Shop GE 9.8 Oz. Clear Silicone at Lowes.com

Click on "Specifications" and you will notice that while it is 100% Silicone it is also Mildew Resistant. Gonna "splurge", get the real deal and avoid the headache.

you have to actually check the ones in the store. like i said there is multiple different ones and some can be used and some cannot.
you do not want the mold or mildew resistant at all. i just got some ge I kitchen bath and plumbing in a red tube now last week which does not have the mold or mildew.

Now Im confused since this product specifically designed for aquariums also says its mildew and mold resistent in the specs.

2.8 oz. Silicone Aquarium Sealant-00688 at The Home Depot

im pretty sure that on is a typo, unless they have actually changed the product

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used GE 1 without mold & mildew inhibitor in my plywood tank without any adverse effects,but it says plainly on the tube that it's not for aquarium use......in my tank with the way the glass is installed,the silicon is only used for a seal and not for structural support,I have also used it to install the baffles in my sump....

I wouldn't recommend using the GE 1 where it has to hold a tank together,as the structural support of it is nowhere near as strong as the RTV 103 or 108 as someone else suggested

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back