Is this going to make a colorful rainbow chalice? Do RB chalice just stay colors they are but get bigger or do more colors come in?

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won a bid an ebay cb rainbow crush chalice for 199.99 and now I am not sure if I made the right choice! I didint really consider the way they grow but after talking more to the seller it seems they just become a larger version of what you start with unless you get lucky!

He is also trying to up sale me with a more expensive colorful one as well so not sure if I can trust that statement being true. It does make sense though because I have been shopping on here and other places for a while and i have seen many plain ones like jellybeans that are half one color and half another with maybe a green and orange rim, possibly different color eyes! That is not at all what I want.

What I want is one of those crazy pis you see when you google rainbow chailce or the ones that cb has as the mom with the teeny tiny one they are auctioning the size of a bean! LOL

I know that I am kicking myself because I spoke with someone on offerup that is only 45 minutes from me (which means no shipping fee) and he had some prime cuts for 225 and and really good ones for 199 as well. I didnt hear back from him until yesterday and he said he sold them on here! I dont know how I missed his add! They sold in one day though, that's how nice they were but some how I missed him when I searched for rainbows!

Sorry to blabber on, just want opions on this particular piece and wanted to know if its true that they just get bigger and colors may not likely come in unless I start with a prime cut! Also about how fast or slow do they grow? I hear they are slow growers are there some rainbows that grow faster then others?

I may add a lot more money and get the prime piece or trade for a nice holy grail hammer or at one point he was auctioning PD blastos real cheap but one thing I won't do is stiff the guy. I always honor my bids!

Really appreciate any advise and help because I am going crazy! LOL

Is that blue coming in on the left of the red? If it is thats a good sign right? At least I know it wont be half red and half blue if it is! Very hard to tell from pic!
First pic is the one for 199 2nd is mom 3rd is a sc dynamite I could have got for 225 and no shipping and 4th is jellybean he also had for 199. See whY i am so upset!! OMG! THose were some nice cuts! and bigger too with no shipping fee! B4 he put it on here and was on offer up he was going to sell me both for 400!. I knew of a huge one delivered for 300 so I was sitting around thinking about it! Then I went back and looked at the pics of big one and not a true rainbow like I want! I guess its always a gamble with these guys! I know I have always wanted one though! Definitely a show stopper!
myrainbowcrushfrag.jpg my rainbowcrushmom.jpg sc dynamite.jpg jelly bean.jpg

Last edited:

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any experience to offer, but I see at least 4 colors on the piece you won and I do see some blue on the red as you mentioned. ‍

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe the other colors should eventually come in since it's in the DNA, but I don't think there's any way to guarantee that it will for sure happen. I do think it usually does.

Johnnyrainbowreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a collection of rainbow chalices and yes you will get all the colors over time. A very long time. It takes about 18 months to double in size from that frag. Very beautiful I think you scored big for 199.00 now I’ve been watching his stuff on eBay, I do think he embellished the mother colony. He shows the same mother colony picture in several of his listings. But that piece is fire. Be patient! Be very very patient.

Attachments

• 6D3767A4-7E7D-4724-9C23-C9A3B4473DC4.jpeg
    6D3767A4-7E7D-4724-9C23-C9A3B4473DC4.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 40
  • FE402FDA-4ECF-4ABB-AA8F-E074ED62B5EA.jpeg
    FE402FDA-4ECF-4ABB-AA8F-E074ED62B5EA.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 42
  • C7AAB2CD-49EE-4007-8215-2CF2456CC972.jpeg
    C7AAB2CD-49EE-4007-8215-2CF2456CC972.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 39
  • C73FB17E-8D50-40A3-9FAB-FC36CD0780AE.jpeg
    C73FB17E-8D50-40A3-9FAB-FC36CD0780AE.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 33
  • E158C47C-6AB8-44EB-9E89-C58F228167BE.jpeg
    E158C47C-6AB8-44EB-9E89-C58F228167BE.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 70AEE178-0F81-4DA9-BA5F-F2AB882E402C.jpeg
    70AEE178-0F81-4DA9-BA5F-F2AB882E402C.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 35
  • DE9E3914-E8C4-4FBC-9F91-20EE67CA116D.jpeg
    DE9E3914-E8C4-4FBC-9F91-20EE67CA116D.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
nano reef

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks but I dont own it anymore! He canceled the order! I dont think he liked me asking so many questions and to trade up on the other two LOL. He also could have thought it freed me up to bid on the one that went off tonight!

The funny thing is the more I look at it the more I like it! I think I could get it back though but now that I ididnt do tonight's auction I dont think I will. They went off alot higher but he had nicer pieces that were starting at .99 cent opening bid! one went for 145 and one for 149. What I should have done was just bought them all! It was going to cost 663 total but just one shipping fee! I would have had 5 chalices totaling 2 1/2 inches! Where can you get that kind of assortment for that price? Granted not very big, only on a 3/4 inch post so they are only about 1/2 inch! Thats what stopped me from doing tonight's auction was the size! SO tiny!

So now back on the hunt! There is someone else on here that said he would ship me one on a 3 inch disk for 400! Problem is only half is colored up! Then there is a huge one for 800 but thats a lot of money but its huge I think its at least 5 inches!

I will come back tomorrow and posts some pics of my new prospects and you guys tell me what you think!
@REEFERADDICT01 You selling any of those? Also, if you like that one he will probably repost it! It really is a nice piece! I just wish it was bigger! If I dint have to pay to ship and was local I would deinetly get it! I can do better because I have put in countless hours on the keyboard hunting lol

Beautiful piece BTW! Great job on winning that one!!
I have a collection of rainbow chalices and yes you will get all the colors over time. A very long time. It takes about 18 months to double in size from that frag. Very beautiful I think you scored big for 199.00 now I’ve been watching his stuff on eBay, I do think he embellished the mother colony. He shows the same mother colony picture in several of his listings. But that piece is fire. Be patient! Be very very patient.
I don’t have any experience to offer, but I see at least 4 colors on the piece you won and I do see some blue on the red as you mentioned. ‍

OP
OP
nano reef

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like number 3 and 7! Are they for sale? Are you saying it takes 18 months to grow i/2 inch? It makes me think I should buy the one that is 3 inches and frag it now and triple my money! IT has one nice side with lots of colors, actually about 1/3 to 1/4 the the rest is all blue and green eyes I think.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You have a nice frag. It should develop nicely. I have a SC dynamiye from tck corals. Lucky to grab a few live sale s ago. It’s growing slow but coloring. Happy w it. I think u will b happy too
D2A014FA-0BFC-436E-BD03-5422B5DE68A1.jpeg

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@nano reef said "Thanks but I dont own it anymore! He canceled the order! I don't think he liked me asking so many questions"
------------
Personally, I don't trust CB corals at all. I bought several corals from one of his auctions and all were very tiny and half of them did not look at all like the pictures. I think he has good reviews because he offers you 2 free corals on your next order if you give him a good review.

OP
OP
nano reef

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a nice frag. It should develop nicely. I have a SC dynamiye from tck corals. Lucky to grab a few live sale s ago. It’s growing slow but coloring. Happy w it. I think u will b happy too
D2A014FA-0BFC-436E-BD03-5422B5DE68A1.jpeg
Now thats a gorgeous piece! I think I like the sc dynamites the most and the cb rainbow crush! The colors are more vibrant then jelly beans! Some people say they are all the same!
@nano reef said "Thanks but I dont own it anymore! He canceled the order! I don't think he liked me asking so many questions"
------------
Personally, I don't trust CB corals at all. I bought several corals from one of his auctions and all were very tiny and half of them did not look at all like the pictures. I think he has good reviews because he offers you 2 free corals on your next order if you give him a good review.

I have never ordered from Cb! I have thought about it many times but their auctions go for a crazy amount of money and I noticed the frags are super tiny! The person I got that from was reef-habit. It was just a cb rainbow crush!

I never knew they give oyu two free corals next order though! That makes it more enticing plus I live in Fl and he only has 20 buck shipping fee in Fl. What are the rules or limitations on free coral?

Johnnyrainbowreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like number 3 and 7! Are they for sale? Are you saying it takes 18 months to grow i/2 inch? It makes me think I should buy the one that is 3 inches and frag it now and triple my money! IT has one nice side with lots of colors, actually about 1/3 to 1/4 the the rest is all blue and green eyes I think.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think the piece you bought was georgous. Heck I would have bought it. I have always wanted one but could never find a deal and gave up.Too bad on your situation. You may be over thinking it. From my experience with buying corals. Every time I'm waffling over buying a coral I like. Someone swoops in and buys it before I make up my mind.

So my advice is. If you like it. Just get it.. you can always add others you like to collection. Great eye and great pieces you picked out.

Johnnyrainbowreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks but I dont own it anymore! He canceled the order! I dont think he liked me asking so many questions and to trade up on the other two LOL. He also could have thought it freed me up to bid on the one that went off tonight!

The funny thing is the more I look at it the more I like it! I think I could get it back though but now that I ididnt do tonight's auction I dont think I will. They went off alot higher but he had nicer pieces that were starting at .99 cent opening bid! one went for 145 and one for 149. What I should have done was just bought them all! It was going to cost 663 total but just one shipping fee! I would have had 5 chalices totaling 2 1/2 inches! Where can you get that kind of assortment for that price? Granted not very big, only on a 3/4 inch post so they are only about 1/2 inch! Thats what stopped me from doing tonight's auction was the size! SO tiny!

So now back on the hunt! There is someone else on here that said he would ship me one on a 3 inch disk for 400! Problem is only half is colored up! Then there is a huge one for 800 but thats a lot of money but its huge I think its at least 5 inches!

I will come back tomorrow and posts some pics of my new prospects and you guys tell me what you think!
@REEFERADDICT01 You selling any of those? Also, if you like that one he will probably repost it! It really is a nice piece! I just wish it was bigger! If I dint have to pay to ship and was local I would deinetly get it! I can do better because I have put in countless hours on the keyboard hunting lol

56cbr600rr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a nice coral for a decent price. Looked more like a Jellybean to me. Also, I think the growth estimate was exagerated. I Mine went from 2 mouths to 8 in like 6 months. Tripled in size I'd say... I bought from here from reefsupreme.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back