OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my Torch Coral, excuse the cyano....

20170331_152226.jpg

Looks the same. So I believe it's a torch. Just want to be able to still add other corals but I'm afraid it will grow across my tank at this rate!

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will not take over your tank in the sense that an invasive, quick growing coral would. It might "take over" your tank meaning it could sting any other coral that happens to be close to it. Looks like a torch coral so you will not be able to decrease the size as it sits now.

Is it going to cont to grow and spread?

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it going to cont to grow and spread?

It's not gonna just spread like wildfire. I have a frogspawn in my tank and it's been on like 3 months and it's only doubled in size. They just grow new heads so it's like the hair on your head getting longer... it won't spread to your back or chest or face lol

Best way to compare it sorry haha

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, your link definitely isnt a torch. Thats a plate coral. Usually found on the sand from what Ive seen. Torch corals grow up and out, branching as it makes new heads. Think like when a tree grows up and splits to make new branches.
I will say the link looks a lot like your original picture of whats in your tank. Is it just sitting on the rock or is it glued down?
What does it look like at night when it closes up?

Last edited:

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Theo15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not a torch coral , it's definitely a long tentacle plate coral , the tentacles are too spaced out and they don't have a central point like a torch would , and if it was a torch, for it to be that size it would have more than one mouth, I'm almost certain it's a long tentacle plate, below is a photo of my torches, you can see the difference....
95eeeeec3769b2924b3921a9cfd6effc.jpg

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually looking back and comparing... I take my post back that it's definitely a torch cause it also looks like a plate.. I agree a pic of the lower half if it has one would be great

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the OP got a HelioFungia (Long tentical plate) to not only grow that for up in the tank but also have it sitting on the ruggedness of the rocks he is doing something right! Plates are very easily damaged and are very sensitive to light, flow and parameters. Even an air bubble under the skeleton over a weeks time on the sandbed can kill it. That's why I do not believe it is a plate. I do agree with @fishwerx about the night or skeleton picture. It looks to have a hard skeleton. Maybe a wall torch?

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking back at the original, now it's harder to tell whether it's a torch or a plate (the link you put up was not a torch) can you get a photo of the coral's base? If its a torch coral, it's base should look more branch like whereas a plate coral's base looks disc shaped (like a plate). This photo below is of my torch coral
436f315f86ca4826fcda07852b182785.jpg

It's on a plastic plate

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not a torch coral , it's definitely a long tentacle plate coral , the tentacles are too spaced out and they don't have a central point like a torch would , and if it was a torch, for it to be that size it would have more than one mouth, I'm almost certain it's a long tentacle plate, below is a photo of my torches, you can see the difference....
95eeeeec3769b2924b3921a9cfd6effc.jpg

Agree!

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, your link definitely isnt a torch. Thats a plate coral. Usually found on the sand from what Ive seen. Torch corals grow up and out, branching as it makes new heads. Think like when a tree grows up and splits to make new branches.
I will say the link looks a lot like your original picture of whats in your tank. Is it just sitting on the rock or is it glued down?
What does it look like at night when it closes up?

It's just sitting on a rock. The base is a plate. I had to move it today and saw that. Looks like a plastic plate at the base.

Theo15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just sitting on a rock. The base is a plate. I had to move it today and saw that. Looks like a plastic plate at the base.
Cool, I'm not sure if plate corals are supposed to be on rock work but it looks cool, definitely threw everyone for a loop lol

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, I'm not sure if plate corals are supposed to be on rock work but it looks cool, definitely threw everyone for a loop lol

+1 if it indeed a plate. Proved me wrong[emoji6] is the plate flexible or like a rock?

Theo15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 if it indeed a plate. Proved me wrong[emoji6] is the plate flexible or like a rock?
Everytime I see plates at the lfs they are always on the sandbed or the bare bottom tank so I'm guessing they are supposed to be on the bottom

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 137 60.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.8%
Back