Is this going to take over my tank?

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everytime I see plates at the lfs they are always on the sandbed or the bare bottom tank so I'm guessing they are supposed to be on the bottom

As stated in my post above they like med to low light and med flow. Also they can be damaged easily. Once damaged they die. He said something about a plastic plate. So if their was literally a plastic plate in their than their is a good chance the plate may have survived.

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They like moderate lighting and higher flow... feeding 2x per week is reccomended. Most will accept mysis shrimp/ krill/ other meaty foods

Theo15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
239f10f9143694f56ddc057f31504826.jpg
These are what my torches look like at night

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 if it indeed a plate. Proved me wrong[emoji6] is the plate flexible or like a rock?

As you can tell I don't know anything about corals. I thought it was like a frag plug but on a plastic plate. No one told me it had to be on the sand. I have very low flow and it's been dropped onto the sand and rocks a lot.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can tell I don't know anything about corals. I thought it was like a frag plug but on a plastic plate. No one told me it had to be on the sand. I have very low flow and it's been dropped onto the sand and rocks a lot.

Nobody knows it all. Everyone is here to learn. To clarify 100% what this coral is, is their anyway we can get a picture without the tentacles out?

GreensoldierUSA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had several LTP and you have to be very very careful not to let anything bump, scratch, fall on, etc... I had one for about 6 months aprox 9 inchs in size. Was beautiful until my float cleaner came loose and hit the edge of it. That is all it took for it to flesh and die.

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had several LTP and you have to be very very careful not to let anything bump, scratch, fall on, etc... I had one for about 6 months aprox 9 inchs in size. Was beautiful until my float cleaner came loose and hit the edge of it. That is all it took for it to flesh and die.

Well this one can take a beating I guess. I dropped it several times tonight and in the past.

GreensoldierUSA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But a torch head can be very large as well. for example in the pic the torch in the back has about 15 heads and the one in the front has just one.
torch arch.jpg

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's going to get as big as 9 inches?!!

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

By these past two pics I would rule out the plate coral once again. The first one looks like it is tucked down in the rock work and the second one looks like it has a flexible "body"(where the tentacles attach). It has a mouth like an anemone.

GreensoldierUSA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you picked it up was it flat on the plate. or did it have a branch between the head and the plastic plate

Theo15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But a torch head can be very large as well. for example in the pic the torch in the back has about 15 heads and the one in the front has just one.
torch arch.jpg
True ,but look how the tentacles drape over the body of a torch coral , the one in the picture is nothing like that , I think it's a plate still

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what the skeleton of a Plate Coral looks like. This one is dead of course but you get the idea.
c7d29063c46736eeeaa72379c7bc0306.jpg

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This physically can not be a plate coral in my opinion. A plate corals skeleton cannot retract or collapse so that it would fit down into a crevice like this.
I am wondering if perhaps whomever fragged this particular coral cut a torch coral head extremely close to the head and glued it to a flat frag plate? Or, less likely, perhaps an anemone has attached to a flat frag plate, but with all the moving around I would think it would have went on a walk about by now.
I could be totally wrong as I am no expert, but powers of observation, intuition and deduction are pretty strong tools sometimes! Plus, I can guess pretty good! Hahaha!

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This physically can not be a plate coral in my opinion. A plate corals skeleton cannot retract or collapse so that it would fit down into a crevice like this.
I am wondering if perhaps whomever fragged this particular coral cut a torch coral head extremely close to the head and glued it to a flat frag plate? Or, less likely, perhaps an anemone has attached to a flat frag plate, but with all the moving around I would think it would have went on a walk about by now.
I could be totally wrong as I am no expert, but powers of observation, intuition and deduction are pretty strong tools sometimes! Plus, I can guess pretty good! Hahaha!

On top of this the second picture he posted looks to have some flexibility to the disc. Very interesting. Maybe a toadstool of a kind?
c557d8fe0bebdab8a39fe5c0dc51a392.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back