Is this goni dead?

airedwin

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Or is it just closed up? It's been like this for about a week, some cyano grew over it which irritated it I think about week ago and I blew it off

20220526_161240.jpg

AquaCave Logo Banner
Printed Reef - Custom Reef Accessories
CLICK TO VIEW LIVESTREAM
OP
A

airedwin

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I'm having a real hard time with them recently as well. I'm currently 1 for 3 on my last glitterbombs(if this one doesnt die). Sucks hard dude. They're my single favorite and I just want a small colony in my tank!
Yes, I think mine died cause of the cyanobacteria, I also have an amazeballs that is doing well so far.

Never Wash Another Nasty Filter Sock Again!
OP
A

airedwin

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
There's not really a lot that you can do at this point. It's probably toast but you never know...
Well before it looked dead but now it seems like the polyps are starting to extend again. My question is should I try to frag it? Like the part that is still alive

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Well before it looked dead but now it seems like the polyps are starting to extend again. My question is should I try to frag it? Like the part that is still alive
It's a catch-22, especially if it is recovering slightly. Myself, I'd be inclined to not stress it further (at least for a little while, anyway), but ultimately you probably have a better vantage point to observe how it's actually doing.

Tidal Gardens
OP
A

airedwin

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
It's a catch-22, especially if it is recovering slightly. Myself, I'd be inclined to not stress it further (at least for a little while, anyway), but ultimately you probably have a better vantage point to observe how it's actually doing.
Thanks, I'll leave it alone

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Thanks, I'll leave it alone
I had four small goniopora frags and one colony that weren't doing great, One looked similar to yours does now, and despite a bit of color/flesh I finally threw in the the towel after a month. I moved the colony and it's done a 180, one of the frags has totally perked back up and the others are doing well - but the two remaining have developed some black spots just along the edges of the skeleton (not sure if they're long for this world or not, either).

My biggest challenge is keeping them upright as some of the reef life is determined to keep knocking them unglued...

Last edited:

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
One was given to me free that looks like yours. Initially one polyp tucked away, now extends slightly after a month or so. Id leave it alone too. Seems to be recovering on its own. The stress or fragging it might be too much.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
A

airedwin

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I had four small goniopora frags and one colony that weren't doing great, One looked similar to yours does now, and despite a bit of color/flesh I finally threw in the the towel after a month. I moved the colony and it's done a 180, one of the frags has totally perked back up and the others are doing well - but the two remaining have developed some black spots just along the edges of the skeleton (not sure if they're long for this world or not, either).

My biggest challenge is keeping them upright as some of the reef life is determined to keep knocking them unglued...
you moved it to a new tank?

OP
A

airedwin

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
One was given to me free that looks like yours. Initially one polyp tucked away, now extends slightly after a month or so. Id leave it alone too. Seems to be recovering on its own. The stress or fragging it might be too much.
ya mine was healthy to start but seemed to go downhill after cyano

When it comes to feeding fish and coral.....

• I have a lot to learn

Votes: 78 44.8%
  • I'm still learning a little

Votes: 76 43.7%
  • I've got it mastered

Votes: 17 9.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 1.7%
Coral-vault.com