Is this good Chaeto?

Just_Pete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had my new tank setup for about a month now. Chaeto has been in for about two weeks. Is my chaeto is suppose to look like this? Thoughts?

Fish: two blennies, clown, chromis, cardinal, two peppermint shrimp and a handful of CUC.

Phosphates and nitrates are both at 0.

When setting up my tank, I placed a piece of LR from my old tank that was slightly covered in GHA to help kick start new tank. The GHA is starting to spread in the DT now. I'm pulling out as much as I can each day but seems to be a loosing battle. Is my GHA out competing my fuge and chaeto is starting to die off?

Attached are day one pic of chaeto and now. Light is a GE LED daylight 100w 5k. On a reverse light cycle for about 9hrs.

Sump is starting to look nasty BTW, ugh!

42FC149F-C6C7-4A98-898E-E70827952B4F.jpg

IMG_2168.JPG

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good to me.... You might not want to keep your nutrients so low if you want to keep it.

Maybe pull some out so it will spin if you don't like the other algae growing on it?

You are just going through the uglies, just give it some time to settle in.

Last edited:

zyer1090

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks normal to me the bubbles and the cyano is from the lack of flow but shouldn't be a problem. Looks like you also have strands of caulerpa, you can pull those out if you don't intend to grow them. Chaeto don't need to spin to grow they will expand and grow with no problem.

OP
OP
Just_Pete

Just_Pete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks normal to me the bubbles and the cyano is from the lack of flow but shouldn't be a problem. Looks like you also have strands of caulerpa, you can pull those out if you don't intend to grow them. Chaeto don't need to spin to grow they will expand and grow with no problem.
Thanks for the reply!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back