is this green gracilaria

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s the thin strand in the middle of the snails it came with and i was wondering if that’s what it is and if i should keep it

image.jpg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green Gracilaria is not specific enough. That’s like saying Red Ogo for red Macro.

The term Red Ogo originated in Hawaii and specifically referred to Gracilaria Parvispora, which the Hawaiians eat as a staple. If Gracilaria Parvispora is grown with low light intensity, it will turn light green.

I have no idea what the snails are eating.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not consider Red Ogo easy to grow.

[This particular species features long, cylindrical, alternating branches that are attached by a single holdfast. The coloration varies depending on the depth collected and ranges from bright red to yellow or green. Gracilaria Parvispora is by far the most popular species of Red Gracilaria used among marine aquarists today. It' i easily grown under a variety of conditions and provides an excellent food source to many herbivorous fish and invertebrates. It is typically not as attractive as other varieties of Gracilaria, but has enjoyed a long history of use in the refugium filter of reef aquariums worldwide. Many have had success growing good quantities in both small culture tanks and large scale aquaculture with this hardy variety]

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't that a strand of some Caulerpa? I would put that in my toilet tank faster than it can flush if I found it.

Giving this idea a little more thought, I might treat it in the bowl with pool acid before I flushed to prevent an accidental introduction at the municipal sewage treatment plant.

I'm very afraid of any plant that looks like Caulerpa, and my botany skills are weak. Lots of folks have it in their sumps and fuges ,.. not me.

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't that a strand of some Caulerpa? I would put that in my toilet tank faster than it can flush if I found it.

Giving this idea a little more thought, I might treat it in the bowl with pool acid before I flushed to prevent an accidental introduction at the municipal sewage treatment plant.

I'm very afraid of any plant that looks like Caulerpa, and my botany skills are weak. Lots of folks have it in their sumps and fuges ,.. not me.
yea i ended up throwing it out

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back