Is this HLLE on my tang?

moorjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2D926393-B33E-47E2-9308-0E3FCADA91A8.png
7E4B5605-BB8F-4273-B8BD-BB7C1393E06E.png

Just curious to know if this is HLLE? I’ll admit- I wasn’t feeding my tang seaweed sheets as much as I probably should- mostly because I didn’t see it eat it that much. I used to grab a little piece and crumble it with my hand in the water and let it disperse in the water. I then started to notice the spots so I researched it and came up that it might be HLLE and it could be from a lack of nutrients. So 2 days ago I grabbed a seaweed holder so it can pick at it all day (though still don’t see it each much if it- I find most of it in the filter) but it eats all the other food fine.
Just curious to know if it really is HLLE and if so- how long until I might notice a difference?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, agree, it looks like early HLLE. And while GAC particles are the most likely cause, poor nutrition will prevent lesions from healing.

OP
OP
moorjames

moorjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok- I’m a moron. I didn’t realize chemipure was gac. So does that mean I need to stop using chemipure? Or are there other options that will help treat the fish?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ChemiPure uses fairly high quality GAC, but even it will have some dust. And if you use it in a reactor or high flow area without rinsing it thoroughly first, it's a good bet that some of it will get into the display area. Same goes true for any GAC, pretty much. Probably the lowest dust highest quality GAC available to hobbyists is ROX 0.8, but even that has a bit of dust. If you need to use GAC, rinsing it well before use and not allowing turbulent flow through it can help avoid HLLE in tangs and angels, in some cases.

OP
OP
moorjames

moorjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for the help. I thought I did rinse the chemipure well but maybe not. I even took it out a couple days ago to rinse (was about a month old) and noticed some more brown coming out like the first time. I’ll be sure to make sure that doesn’t happen again. I appreciate it

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2D926393-B33E-47E2-9308-0E3FCADA91A8.png
7E4B5605-BB8F-4273-B8BD-BB7C1393E06E.png

Just curious to know if this is HLLE? I’ll admit- I wasn’t feeding my tang seaweed sheets as much as I probably should- mostly because I didn’t see it eat it that much. I used to grab a little piece and crumble it with my hand in the water and let it disperse in the water. I then started to notice the spots so I researched it and came up that it might be HLLE and it could be from a lack of nutrients. So 2 days ago I grabbed a seaweed holder so it can pick at it all day (though still don’t see it each much if it- I find most of it in the filter) but it eats all the other food fine.
Just curious to know if it really is HLLE and if so- how long until I might notice a difference?
While that is probably HLLE, it could also be a related issue called epithelial thinning. Can you post a picture taken under white light?
There is an article here on HLLE that I posted back in October that might give you more info.
Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back