Is this hobby a perpetual money pit ?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I need encouragements. Or not. Maybe this is just too expensive for my taste.

I am always, always very well prepared before going into a new project. I had done hundreds of hours of research, reading and watching videos to learn as much as possible on tons of different aspects of the hobby.

After that I set aside a budget, thinking I would have a lot of expenses in the beginning, and that eventually it would calm down . Like it does in freshwater (even though it’s a lot less expensive). After a while, you have all your gear and all you need to buy is food and maintenance products. And enjoy.

But that has not happened with my reef tanks…. So far I must have spent 8k-10k in 9 months. For a 12 gallons and 75 gallons tank (I already had the tank and stand). It seems there is always a problem to fix that needs specific equipment, or products. Every month, I’m thinking : okay, this was the last time I spent so much. But then I need something else that can’t wait.

What I want is to achieve a state where my tank is complete and where I only need to buy new stuff exceptionally, and because I want to (outside of all necessary items). I want my montly budget to be spent on corals, so I can have the tank I dreamed of.

Is this unrealistic ? Should I downsize ?

Right now I’m tight on money because of this hobby I love and it’s not a pleasant feeling. Yeah, I could spend less, but I’ve already spent so much how can I let it go to waste ? Sigh.

Your experience will be appreciated.

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a lot for just equipment.
I mean it does slow down after you have the right stuff. They key is to get the right stuff the first time.
Trying to save and getting cheaper equipment ends up costing more in the end.

I am curious as to what always comes up that costs so much?

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's as expensive as you want it to be. You say you have a problem that needs to be solved by an equipment...most will disagree. All fancy expensive equipments are just what the vendors push onto us. It's up to you to not buy into the hype. Reefing on a budget can easily be done.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"it seems there's always a problem to fix that needs specific equipment."

What problems are you running into that your basic filtration and dosing didn't accomplish?

I feel like you can successfully run a tank long term on this:

Tank
Sump/Filtration
Skimmer (becomes optional eventually but having one at the start is good)
Lights
Powerheads
ATO
Dosing Equipment

Anything more than that is usually things that are "nice to have" but not really necessary, even Dosing to some extent can fall into that category, but I feel like either water change, or dose, and I prefer to dose.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But that has not happened with my reef tanks…. So far I must have spent 8k-10k in 9 months. For a 12 gallons and 75 gallons tank (I already had the tank and stand). It seems there is always a problem to fix that needs specific equipment, or products. Every month, I’m thinking : okay, this was the last time I spent so much. But then I need something else that can’t wait.
Holy crap that is a lot of money. How? Why?

I've had plenty of marine tanks over my lifetime, and there should never be much money needed to be spent after the initial few months of setup. The only real thing that needs to be replenished is salt, plus maybe a few additives depending, and food. That should only be minimal, it sounds like you are spending a lot of money on a lot of unnecessary things.

Can I ask what exactly is costing you so much?

The last time I set up a large tank it costed me like 2 grand and that was it. Of course the tank itself was not great, but for a better set up it'd just say be 5 grand, live stock and products should be the same. I spent another $200 or so for the year after...

Last edited:

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Well, there are always expenses but I agree with your assumption that eventually the cost levels off and is mostly just maintenance. If you can keep yourself from upgrading and adding new tanks. Also be cautious of expensive new items that it seems like you must have based on chatter and what everyone is saying. No one “needs” an apex or trident or fancy algae scrubber or uv sterilizer. It might make the hobby easier or more fun for you but there are usually other solutions available.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you live on the websites.
You will spend. The new DC pump, new Skimmer, the latest lights.
If you control your urge to upgrade then it’s just maintenance but keep in mind things do wear out and need to be replaced
It’s a hobby, you invest time, effort and money in hobbies.
Beats sitting in a bar drinking it all away. Make a budget and don’t break it.
LOL
I should talk!

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I need encouragements. Or not. Maybe this is just too expensive for my taste.

I am always, always very well prepared before going into a new project. I had done hundreds of hours of research, reading and watching videos to learn as much as possible on tons of different aspects of the hobby.

After that I set aside a budget, thinking I would have a lot of expenses in the beginning, and that eventually it would calm down . Like it does in freshwater (even though it’s a lot less expensive). After a while, you have all your gear and all you need to buy is food and maintenance products. And enjoy.

What I want is to achieve a state where my tank is complete and where I only need to buy new stuff exceptionally, and because I want to (outside of all necessary items). I want my montly budget to be spent on corals, so I can have the tank I dreamed of.

Is this unrealistic ? Should I downsize ?

Right now I’m tight on money because of this hobby I love and it’s not a pleasant feeling. Yeah, I could spend less, but I’ve already spent so much how can I let it go to waste ? Sigh.

Your experience will be appreciated.
It's not too expensive LONG RUN imo. Early, yes it can be... the initial setup and headaches are real. Been there and done that, and in my particular experience they lasted for about 3 -5 years. I scaled back totally at that point. I was tired of dumping money into it. Low and behold a new tank emerged, which took more patience allowing what was within it that was surviving to thrive. No more new additions other than the odd 10 buck frag to see if it would hold. Today's equipment, is quite something, and it does what it's intended to do, but really I don't need it personally.
You and I have chatted, and I have a loose feel of your goals. PM me if you want again and we can discuss. There is no quick way as everything needs to mature, IMO for years, but also no need to break the bank. Lemme know.

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not too expensive LONG RUN imo. Early, yes it can be... the initial setup and headaches are real. Been there and done that, and in my particular experience they lasted for about 3 -5 years. I scaled back totally at that point. I was tired of dumping money into it. Low and behold a new tank emerged, which took more patience allowing what was within it that was surviving to thrive. No more new additions other than the odd 10 buck frag to see if it would hold. Today's equipment, is quite something, and it does what it's intended to do, but really I don't need it personally.
You and I have chatted, and I have a loose feel of your goals. PM me if you want again and we can discuss. There is no quick way as everything needs to mature, IMO for years, but also no need to break the bank. Lemme know.
I agree with this. Patience is key in this hobby. It’s not for instant gratification.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just stop spending. There is no piece of equipment that will be the "last piece needed" to magically fix something.

More nature, less technology...and I say this as someone who absolutely loves equipment. But after 17 years I've figured out what equipment is actually needed vs wanted.

Just let your tanks mature. It takes 18-24 months for these new dry rock tanks to mature. It sucks. I know. Just stop spending and let your tanks work themselves out.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.. But I know worse... Owning a boat. You better love the water because it's not cheap. Buying classic cars with zero knowledge of how to work on them yourself. (Not me) I can work on them. Hunting leases. Going back and forth, planting food plots etc.. You could eat wagyu beef every day cheaper..lol

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Money pit. Yes.
Salt and wcs are needed imo. Others will argue this.
You wanna grow coral? Take care of the water.
No different than plants and taking care of the dirt and the planter in general.

Coral has doubled or triples in price in 10yrs. The equipment and everything else seems to be the same cost.

Wish I had a better answer for you. Lol
D

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back