Is this hobby a perpetual money pit ?

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you stir up a bees nest! I spent 1200 on a 125 that came with everything except a heater. Over the years I have upgraded the pumps and the sump . Live rock 7 dollars a pound 700 live sand yep we know . Coral fish ,snails ,shrimp,crabs etc. Etc. It is all part of your little plan. But I still love feeding my fish and watching new stuff pop up out of the live rock. I had a friend who set up a 29 gallon tank and put one large piece of live rock in it that was it. Over the years stuff grew out of it like magic. And you wonder why!!!

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No you don’t need to spend the money on expensive equipment. The YouTubers and influencer’s is what gets people. The most expensive thing in my tank was my tank lol water box. The reset was one AP700 hydros controller and 4 fish I’ve had for years and corals I’ve bought on fb I haven’t spent money on my tank in months and the only thing is Red Sea salt. When I did buy corals it would be 10 dollar corals and now those corals and every where lol. Probably spent 5 to 6k and that is with everything literally everything. I know I would be annoyed if I spent a lot of money monthly that’s why I don’t go to my reef store lol

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hum, how did you fill your tank with corals then ? I mean, once it’s filled, I won’t have to buy anymore, but I have to start somewhere.

Around here, for 200$, you get 5 small frags. One head per coral. Maybe 6 if you‘re lucky. I only buy the most reasonably priced corals, between 15$-30$. When someone advertises corals on social media, I buy that also. Only the ones at 20$ or 25$ a piece.

I think that’s very reasonable.

The pumps, yeah, they’re expensive. But they work on my tablet or iphone, and they practically can make breakfast for me. So they were a good buy. For me.
I would throw out that you don’t need 5 corals. If it’s 200 dollars buy one coral every few months. By that time the coral should be pretty big depending on coral obviously.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would throw out that you don’t need 5 corals. If it’s 200 dollars buy one coral every few months. By that time the coral should be pretty big depending on coral obviously.
What you’re saying is buy one single large coral for 200$ every few months ? You think that would fill my tank faster than multiple smaller ones ?

I was thinking if I can keep my 40$-50$ corals alive (just bought 2) then the next step would be to pay about 100$ for one. Maybe I’ll try a bigger one for 150$ once and see how I like it.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Holy crap that is a lot of money. How? Why?

I've had plenty of marine tanks over my lifetime, and there should never be much money needed to be spent after the initial few months of setup. The only real thing that needs to be replenished is salt, plus maybe a few additives depending, and food. That should only be minimal, it sounds like you are spending a lot of money on a lot of unnecessary things.

Can I ask what exactly is costing you so much?

The last time I set up a large tank it costed me like 2 grand and that was it. Of course the tank itself was not great, but for a better set up it'd just say be 5 grand, live stock and products should be the same. I spent another $200 or so for the year after...
I was thinking “wow you haven’t spent that much”.

It does get less costly after the initial equipment and live rock purchase, but I wouldn’t recommend this or most other hobbies for anyone that doesn’t have a lot of extra money. Someone in that position is probably better off using the time to increase their earning ability.

clown99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Money pit. Yes. But the majority of equipment cost is at the beginning and you can stay within budget by researching for what you need. And some DIY would help. For me, I built the tank stand, the LED lights and sump.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does get less costly after the initial equipment and live rock purchase, but I wouldn’t recommend this or most other hobbies for anyone that doesn’t have a lot of extra money. Someone in that position is probably better off using the time to increase their earning ability.
Some people (like me) will never increase their earning ability. For a lot of reasons. I think it’s a bit harsh to say you need a lot of extra money or don’t be in this hobby.

I’m hoping with a reasonable amount of extra money I’ll make it. :)

CayeCaulker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rabbit hole is deep and it's made of solid gold! The more you dig the more you spend. But in the end, you just cruise along and trade/sell frags. You make friends and talk shop!

Sure beats going to the bar.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it's a money pit. But tell me one hobby that if you get into it deep enough that isn't. For example vehicle customization. If you totaled your truck your insurance company won't see the value of spending 20k on a lift and light kits. Its considered personal preference. This hobby is much the same. You can start with a Petco 40b and a hob filter but that won't be where most will end up. Lol

olavvk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you mean, just wanted to plan a short holiday, so need to get a osmolator. Flow could be better, bought a new powerhead. It was already said but I think buying good quality equipment for first time can save you a lot of money. I also agree that a nice hobby can/should cost money.

Back