Is this hobby a perpetual money pit ?

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
the other member said it... focus on the livestock not the trendy youtube and r2r gear.

I think initially it cost a lot.. go big with the equipment and you wont need to replace later.

As far as the corals... get what you can afford. One $25 frag a month for 12 months will fill your tank up.

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I left the hobby about three months ago. I still pop into the forums to see what’s going on and love seeing the beautiful tanks. I just could never get my tank to that level and was always frustrated. I went to Hawaii after selling all my stuff and watched the fish in their natural environment. I will stick with that for now. I can’t watch fish every day like I used to but I don’t spend all my time working on the tank and trying to fix problem after problem.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to Hawaii after selling all my stuff and watched the fish in their natural environment.
How do you know the fish you are seeing in Hawaii are the same ones from your tank? :rolleyes:

Infidel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only suggestions.
Buy once and cry once. For example one of my biggest mistakes was not buying Vortechs to begin with. I bought a lot of pumps trying to avoid spending the money for the 4 MP60s and 2 MP40s I ended up with.

By the largest package size you can use. With some stuff the cost goes way down if you buy larger quantities.
I no longer think month to month but months to months.
@Idech Buy once and cry once. If you mix this with only buying necessary items, you shouldn't have a problem. The current hobby is designed for you to buy a ton of expensive crap that you don't need. Back in the day, a lot of the "crap" didn't exist and we did just fine.

ECMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I need encouragements. Or not. Maybe this is just too expensive for my taste.

I am always, always very well prepared before going into a new project. I had done hundreds of hours of research, reading and watching videos to learn as much as possible on tons of different aspects of the hobby.

After that I set aside a budget, thinking I would have a lot of expenses in the beginning, and that eventually it would calm down . Like it does in freshwater (even though it’s a lot less expensive). After a while, you have all your gear and all you need to buy is food and maintenance products. And enjoy.

But that has not happened with my reef tanks…. So far I must have spent 8k-10k in 9 months. For a 12 gallons and 75 gallons tank (I already had the tank and stand). It seems there is always a problem to fix that needs specific equipment, or products. Every month, I’m thinking : okay, this was the last time I spent so much. But then I need something else that can’t wait.

What I want is to achieve a state where my tank is complete and where I only need to buy new stuff exceptionally, and because I want to (outside of all necessary items). I want my montly budget to be spent on corals, so I can have the tank I dreamed of.

Is this unrealistic ? Should I downsize ?

Right now I’m tight on money because of this hobby I love and it’s not a pleasant feeling. Yeah, I could spend less, but I’ve already spent so much how can I let it go to waste ? Sigh.

Your experience will be appreciated.
It’s all about the size.

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People often overbuild, overequip and buy overhyped stuff.
That's what is costing them time, money, their inspiration and finally their hobby....

It can be as simple as you want it to be and it can work just fine.

Tank :190 liters 110x40x45cm
Surface skimmer (not same as protein skimmer)
1000l/h Powerfilter
100watt ledlights
8K Flowpump
No waterchanges

This system had been running for 5 years even without waterchanges.
So.... it don't need to be a moneypit when you take the time to do some research
Lookup the #BUROBAK aka #EZ2Goreef

20210508_125235.jpg

Last edited:

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I need encouragements. Or not. Maybe this is just too expensive for my taste.

I am always, always very well prepared before going into a new project. I had done hundreds of hours of research, reading and watching videos to learn as much as possible on tons of different aspects of the hobby.

After that I set aside a budget, thinking I would have a lot of expenses in the beginning, and that eventually it would calm down . Like it does in freshwater (even though it’s a lot less expensive). After a while, you have all your gear and all you need to buy is food and maintenance products. And enjoy.

But that has not happened with my reef tanks…. So far I must have spent 8k-10k in 9 months. For a 12 gallons and 75 gallons tank (I already had the tank and stand). It seems there is always a problem to fix that needs specific equipment, or products. Every month, I’m thinking : okay, this was the last time I spent so much. But then I need something else that can’t wait.

What I want is to achieve a state where my tank is complete and where I only need to buy new stuff exceptionally, and because I want to (outside of all necessary items). I want my montly budget to be spent on corals, so I can have the tank I dreamed of.

Is this unrealistic ? Should I downsize ?

Right now I’m tight on money because of this hobby I love and it’s not a pleasant feeling. Yeah, I could spend less, but I’ve already spent so much how can I let it go to waste ? Sigh.

Your experience will be appreciated.
8-10K in 9 months? Are you buying the more expensive fish and large/rarer coral colonies and then buying Ecotech Marine products for everything? I did the math and on my 90 Gallon I have between $3-$4K spent OVER nearly 5 years. That includes equipment (admittedly half of my equipment was used), rock, sand, fish, coral frags, etc. The point is that you don't need to spend anywhere near what you have in less than a year.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8-10K in 9 months? Are you buying the more expensive fish and large/rarer coral colonies? I did the math and on my 90 Gallon I have between $3-$4K spent OVER nearly 5 years.
No, not at all. I’m done buying fish (I have 6 and lost 2) and the most expensive by far was my Kole tang at 167$ CAD. My most expensive coral was about 40$ CAD.

As I said, it's probably closer to 8k, CAD. I’ve detailed the approximate costs in one of my posts.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not at all. I’m done buying fish (I have 6 and lost 2) and the most expensive by far was my Kole tang at 167$ CAD. My most expensive coral was about 40$ CAD.

As I said, it's probably closer to 8k, CAD. I’ve detailed the approximate costs in one of my posts.
You've got the full bones of the system you want up and running. Quality equipment, the fish are happy. It's only basic maintenance from here. There is no way you are spending at that rate next few years and down the road..... as we say, PM a few members you trust here with any questions when something looks off or out of balance.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idech,

It seems like you are trying very hard to do things right. It can be expensive or inexpensive there are a lot of variables to consider. If you want corals you need more expensive lights. If you want SPS you need even more expensive lights and better, and probably more, flow pumps.

Just about everything other than some kind of a tank and saltwater are optional. There have been and are many successful reef tanks using undergravel filters with powerheads. No protein skimmers, reactors, refugiums, dosers, etc. That is not to say you have been frivolous, I see nothing on your list that shouts "excess". Just weigh the advice against your own wants and finances. We can't all afford the latest and greatest. Buying used can help but not isn't the basic issue. I really think the issue is that we set unrealistic expectations with all of the vlogs, IG, etc. You can have a beautiful coral garden ASAP but at a cost or you can slowly add corals etc. as time, experience and budget allows.

The first year is usually the hardest. The tank is young and even small problems can seem big. It's easy to say "it's just diatoms, it'll pass" but a lot harder to see it in your pristine new tank. A lot of expense is one time, like your microscope (I've been in and out of the hobby for 45 years and I still don't own one, but probably should) or an RODI unit (but of course there's still the filters).

If, no when, you have problems you get lots of advice some good, some less so. Livestock has gotten expensive and we tend to get really small frags so we buy a lot of them, and then end up pruning and culling when we are successful.

I think you are trying hard to buy the right equipment and relying on advice from experienced hobbyists and probably a number of vendors. For just about every problem there is a technology and a natural method of control but the natural is usually more difficult and slower. You almost need to be a reef-whisperer. It will happen with time and patience. My only advice is to go slow, and treat most issues as non-emergencies. An ugly tank is ugly but not necessarily in need of major changes. Most of what goes on in a reef tank has to do with balance and balance comes with age (tank age--not yours).

Keep your chin up.

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course its a money pit.... :) So are most hobbies... You do it for fun... not as an investment.. It isn't Crypto currency.. :) It's a much healthier and more rewarding money pit then smoking, drinking or eating junk food.

You can do it as cheap or as expensive as you want. If you aren't having fun, considerer why and adjust... When I was 9, I had a reef tank in a 1 gallon Mason jar.. :) A single tiny pump, love rock, and sunlight.. and I loved it and it grew coral.

You don't have to do it.. :)

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of expense is one time, like your microscope (I've been in and out of the hobby for 45 years and I still don't own one
Thank you for your encouragements.

I returned the microscope. I wasn’t satisfied with the quality but I probably won’t be getting another one. It’s just not for me.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A nice tank is through the roof from what is used to be. Custom tanks can be of 6K alone. I wont buy anymore myself.

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple answer is yes. The question is how big of a pit do you let it to be?
Yup going in my first time I had to upgrade every single thing I got. Went with an All in one biocube thinking it was good. Had to spend another 2.5k with upgrades which I could have gotten the first time round. Let's not talk about how much I spend on little frags I see and must have too :) my second tank I plan on getting will be much cheaper.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I returned the microscope. I wasn’t satisfied with the quality but I probably won’t be getting another one.
I have a microscope. It is over 100 years old, maybe even 120 and I like it. I got it in an antique shop. The only lens that works is 40 power which is as small as I care to see. Pods look like Godzilla at that magnification and I don't really have to see their eye lashes. :oops:

It is a fun thing but not needed at all in this hobby. Probably the least thing needed and if you want one, get a real cheap one unless as I said, you need to see pod eyelashes or toenails which I was never really in to.

I took this through my 120 year old microscope. It is a just new born yellow clown gobi. Do I need to see this to be successful? No

Is it cool and do I get brownie points? Maybe.

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Based on the prices you paid, it looks like you're requirement is to buy new in box, name brand/high end items direct from vendors, potentially brick and mortar.

If that is the case, then yes this hobby will be a money pit. No matter how good the vendor, they will always have something you "need" with a steep entry price.

This is not a knock at all, but reality. And it won't get better bc as you're skill set progresses you may be drawn to higher end, harder to keep corals.

IMO this hobby is a a world class enabler. If you are spendy by nature this hobby won't ever tell you no. Same for those that like to: Tinker, waste time, conduct pseudoscience etc.
I think this is very true for most people. For those who have a lot money to spend in this hobby they love, they will keep spending it on new tanks, upgrades and technology. For those who who have less money to spend, many will still spend more than they should. A lot of hobbies today involve expensive technology which is expensive and reef keeping is is no different.

My advice is re-examine your financial position. Set a budget going forward and commit to sticking to it. Put a hold on spending for your tank for a short while if necessary. Start saving money for a new chair and needed items. Stop making your reef tank the priority in your life.

Reefing brings a lot of joy and satisfaction into all of our lives, that why we have them. Don’t give it up, just create a balance.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I think too, but I don’t think I have bought anything unnecessary. I refrain myself from buying a lot of stuff that I don’t REALLY need.

As for the 1 k, 3 buckets of Red sea salt come to about 325$ delivered (it’s too heavy for me, I can’t pick it up myself).

Then Hanna testers are 80$ bucks each + 25$ for the reagents + delivery. Red Sea Foundation pro kit is 75$. All for reef is another 80$. That’s about 700$ right there, off the top of my head. It adds up very fast !

It depends on your income, doesn’t it ? I couldn’t afford a sailboat, really.

I don’t need anything specific. I just buy what it is I need to buy when something happens. The only thing I will need down the line is two more AI Prime 16 HD (have 2 right now). And that will have to wait.

Canadian money. I buy everything new, and only good quality products. I can’t do plumbing, or electricty and basically no diy, so it does cost more.

That’s what I can’t wait to happen. Hopefully soon, not in two years…

Never, I only buy good products and when there is a problem, I use the warranty to get a replacement or get my money back. I’m very diligent about that.

I know it’s hard to believe but I don’t think I need any of this stuff. Like I bought a magnetic stirrer to mix the All for reef powder I bought. You might think it’s not necessary, but I can’t physically do it myself and it has to be stirred well. So I needed something to help with that.

I can’t do plumbing. And I don’t really want multiple tanks. The Evo was a test, to see if I liked reefing. Then I was going to break it down, but had problems with dinos and couldn’t put the new corals I had bought in my DT.

I haven’t even started dosing. I’m waiting for my order today. My calcium and magnesium are getting low (I waited until I had no more choice) and I can’t do enough WC to compensate, as I am not physically able.

I’ve been battling dinos for a while now. I started the battle manually, but got nowhere. So I got the UV to help. I got advice here from experienced members and followed their recipes. I was told I should get a microscope, but didn’t want to until I had tried everything. That’s where I am now. The dinos aren’t going away and I need a correct id to fight the right battle. The dinos are affecting the corals so I can’t let it go.

I have been thinking about this. It’s something I will definitely do when things settle down a bit.

Yes, that’s what I want to do : have a specific plan and budget, and order once a month only.
Not sure if you have a reef society or club near you, but I do and I just joined. I found out they get together (well pre-Covid anyway...) and make fish food and then split up and everyone takes home to freeze. One person shops for all the ingredients and then everyone pays their share - if you have a lot of fish to feed, it's more economical vs buying commercial frozen food. :) Just a thought!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back