Is this hobby ever going to be fun, ha

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Even though I’m kidding mostly, with a new tank the idea of fun seems a long way away. Just passing along a thought.
There will be a lot of work. Believe me. I wish there was a set it and forget it button. Where I could throw everything in and it takes care of itself.

D4652F7F-CC03-419A-887C-088DB82D542B.png

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Even though I’m kidding mostly, with a new tank the idea of fun seems a long way away. Just passing along a thought.
Your officially a marine farmer. Right now your sowing. If all your hard work pays off, you will reap what you sow. Simple as that.

After 2 years, I'm finally reaping.

Screenshot_2019-08-08-17-15-08-1.png

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your officially a marine farmer. Right now your sowing. If all your hard work pays off, you will reap what you sow. Simple as that.

After 2 years, I'm finally reaping.

Screenshot_2019-08-08-17-15-08-1.png
Hmm.. that doesn't look very appetizing ;Vomit

I'll stick with reaping corn on the cob. ;):p

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi

As others have suggested, there is different kinds of fun at different stages. Initially the fun is dreaming, then the adventure of getting the equipment and setting everything up, then the new tank where the fun is solving problems, then....

It goes from there until you decide to add a new tank, then...

Whether it is a vicious or virtuous cycle depends on your patience, attention to water quality, tank parameter stability, level of knowledge and commitment to learning, and (if you have corals) lighting.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To all of you, thanks! I look at this as being a rollercoaster, one minute you are up, then down. My coaster will go up again.
That’s life IMO. If you fall down and refuse to stand back up, you’ll never find that pot at the end of the rainbow. I’m still looking....

ducati1212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the gadgets. Im in my sump more than my tank. I like the chemistry and the tech and then all the little creepy crawlies. I spend more time getting pods to multiply and watching hermits and snails. I think I have bought 1 of every pump, I now have a test kit from each brand. I like to tinker. Next up is making my water station and water change much fancier with some automation and bigger storage.

Fish and corals are just the frosting.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really enjoy the setup stage!

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

It does get fun and a lot easier but no matter where you are in the hobby you will run into new problems. :)

When I started it was trying to find equipment that didn't break my budget and fish that played nice together.

When I started getting into SPS I would look at things and they would die, if one single parameter fluctuated they would die

When I finally started getting better I wanted a bigger tank and all new problems came with that upgrade.

Nowadays I have an established massive SPS garden and I am running out of room, corals killing other corals and pests (xenia, aefw, apistasia etc) take on a whole new meaning. Thankfully I am at the point in the hobby where my params can fluctuate and my corals don't really mind much. Last year I went on vacation, alk dropped to 3.6 because my calc reactor drip clogged; came back fixed it but over comped and had alk jump up to 12 within 2 days. Not a single coral cared and I fluctuate between 8.0 and 9.5 throughout the week. I have worms but not convinced they are the tank killer people say they are; living with them should be the norm as I am a firm believer you will never rid of them and I don't sell corals so easy life for me!

This hobby is always difficult, it's just that things that caused you stress become nothing and new problems take over. :) I don't even measure a lot of doses, just dump stuff in with a "looks good to me" smirk.

Take your time because no matter how much success you have, you will always, always go back and wish you did things differently. I have very little space left for new corals, wish I would have placed them differently but I was so caught up into getting them to grow I never thought about what would happen IF they did.

FlaW1lM.jpg

Last edited:

Jimmy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does get fun and a lot easier but no matter where you are in the hobby you will run into new problems. :)

When I started it was trying to find equipment that didn't break my budget and fish that played nice together.

When I started getting into SPS I would look at things and they would die, if one single parameter fluctuated they would die

When I finally started getting better I wanted a bigger tank and all new problems came with that upgrade.

Nowadays I have an established massive SPS garden and I am running out of room, corals killing other corals and pests (xenia, aefw, apistasia etc) take on a whole new meaning. Thankfully I am at the point in the hobby where my params can fluctuate and my corals don't really mind much. Last year I went on vacation, alk dropped to 3.6 because my calc reactor drip clogged; came back fixed it but over comped and had alk jump up to 12 within 2 days. Not a single coral cared and I fluctuate between 8.0 and 9.5 throughout the week. I have worms but not convinced they are the tank killer people say they are; living with them should be the norm as I am a firm believer you will never rid of them and I don't sell corals so easy life for me!

This hobby is always difficult, it's just that things that caused you stress become nothing and new problems take over. :) I don't even measure a lot of doses, just dump stuff in with a "looks good to me" smirk.

Take your time because no matter how much success you have, you will always, always go back and wish you did things differently. I have very little space left for new corals, wish I would have placed them differently but I was so caught up into getting them to grow I never thought about what would happen IF they did.

FlaW1lM.jpg
So true

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The only time in my years I have found it "not fun" is dealing with some gha. Some of our products took care of that! ~Shaun K

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back