OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my recommendation: 30 days in copper and antibiotics(if you see bacterial infections). Then give the fish a 37% formaldehyde/formalin bath for 60 minutes. I use formalin-ms. I think directions said 20 drops per gallon. Preferably do this bath outside because it’s a carcinogen. In wintertime, I would do the bath in a heated bucket in the garage using a mask, goggles, and gloves. After the bath, do a 80-100% water change on your QT and then toss the fish back in and observe them for 30 days just to be sure.

I understand the frustration. I have two QT 20 gallon longs running and it always seems to be something such as loss of appetite or spots. One of my QTs, I have a clown and a sailfin tang which have had issues for months now. I have literally tried everything from cupramine with a Hanna to chloroquine phosphate. One week they would have spots or ragged fins. The following week, the spots would disappear. So I did the 60 minute formalin bath and while that was happening, I did a 95% water change on the QT and added the fish back for observation. Its been 12 days and the clown and tang are doing well with no symptoms. Perhaps 2 more weeks of observation I will toss them in the display. I hope your fish get better.

Believe me, This maybe the next step. Thanks for the support!

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I pointed him towards an alternative that had a few refinements to make it easier to use. No excuse for a non mechanical stage in this day and age. We’re not animals

Apparently we are, the one you recommended did not qualify for Prime..... so much for taking your advice! [emoji6]

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is lymphocytosis, then it is probable that we have been on the wrong path since the second go round of white spots. It makes me think the tang just needs a break from medications. For the tang, My inclination is to stop medications and provide excellent nutrition, water and hiding places. But hotrocks is more familiar with these other medications and how well they are tolerated.

Yea I know. I’m with @HotRocks the more I think about it. I think I’d like it to be as simple as Lympho but deep down inside I know it’s not. I know it’s not Brook and I know it’s not Velvet.

After the FW dip I know it’s not Flukes. I don’t want to jump the gun again but it seems as though their color has gotten brighter since starting a third Furan2 and Kanaplex treatment. This maybe bacterial after all.

Tomorrow is day 14 of copper, so I think we’ll find out soon enough. But unless it’s some nuclear surviving strain of ich, I think I maybe in the clear.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awww man, I’m sorry. I didn’t even notice

I can pack up and ship you mine next day. You might not like the price though...

7e79adf391b2b5e975e144a4e2ae9d67.jpg

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 13. Copper is 1.81. I’ll be setting up the new 40b tomorrow in preparation.

Kole tangs lips are pretty swollen again. I’ll treat with epsom salt, which seemed to help last time, if it doesn’t improve. At this point, I just want copper to be over so they can get their immune system back in shape.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, today is day 14. Copper is at 1.80.

Just to keep annoying you guys, tomorrow, I’ll move them into a new, sterile 40b. New filters, new heater and new hiding spaces.

My plan is to stop copper, and do another 4 days of Furan2, kanaplex and metro plex. This would bring a total of 8 days of antibiotics. Should I continue this past the 8 days since I’m basically doing a 100% water change and not the 25% called for by Furan2? I’m tempted to go ahead and restart with another 8 day treatment of anti biotic followed by a large water change and then a deworm treatment using Prazi.

What do you guys think?

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, today is day 14. Copper is at 1.80.

Just to keep annoying you guys, tomorrow, I’ll move them into a new, sterile 40b. New filters, new heater and new hiding spaces.

My plan is to stop copper, and do another 4 days of Furan2, kanaplex and metro plex. This would bring a total of 8 days of antibiotics. Should I continue this past the 8 days since I’m basically doing a 100% water change and not the 25% called for by Furan2? I’m tempted to go ahead and restart with another 8 day treatment of anti biotic followed by a large water change and then a deworm treatment using Prazi.

What do you guys think?
Is this for all of the fish?

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this for all of the fish?

Yea. I think, based on very limited knowledge, that I should probably treat them all together. Just thinking if one has something, they all probably do. I’m also trying to save some work load for my fiancé as I do go away Tuesday for 5 days. Figured I’d prepare enough salt water for her so she can do some water changes should the need arise.

If you still think I should separate the two tangs I’m not opposed to it.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would treat them all together.

As far as the anitbiotics go you will want treat for a full 10 days. Moving them to the new tank with new water is no big deal as far as the meds are concerned.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would treat them all together.

As far as the anitbiotics go you will want treat for a full 10 days. Moving them to the new tank with new water is no big deal as far as the meds are concerned.

Okay perfect. So today is day 4 of antibiotics. I’ll keep it going this week. Should I be using Metro in the water column or is Kanaplex+Furan2 sufficient? I’m currently feeding it.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay perfect. So today is day 4 of antibiotics. I’ll keep it going this week. Should I be using Metro in the water column or is Kanaplex+Furan2 sufficient? I’m currently feeding it.
I would use it in the water column + feed it.

Clownfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my 20 gallon QT regarding furan 2 and metroplex, I do a half dose per day for 7 consecutive days and if I still see infections or symptoms I take it to 10 days. After this, I do a 5 or a 10 gallon water change.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Graduating from copper today. Hippo and purple tang still show white flakey dots. I’m moving everyone to a clean tank in hopes that it is something bacterial. Will continue with Metro+Kano+Furan2 to finish the 10 days.

Quick question. Can I use prazi and NFG with the three medications I listed above?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have NFG, I would use it instead of the other trio. Don't combine them.

I also have never mixed prazi with NFG. I'd only use it by itself. Then move to prazi post antibiotics.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have NFG, I would use it instead of the other trio. Don't combine them.

I also have never mixed prazi with NFG. I'd only use it by itself. Then move to prazi post antibiotics.

Okay. Yea I just got NFG in the mail. I’ll discontinue the trio and go with NFG. Should I continue to feed Metro?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Yea I just got NFG in the mail. I’ll discontinue the trio and go with NFG. Should I continue to feed Metro?
I would run a full 10 days of NFG.

I would also continue the metro soaked food until you have done so for 14 days consecutively. As long as you are using focus to bind it, there shouldn't be any issue.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, feed metro for a full 14 days. It addresses ailments internal, including internal component of uronema on the off chance that applies as well.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back