Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what did you do dubs?

I did a freshwater dip on the fish showing heavy infestation and treated with PraziPro. Today is day 2 and all the fish seem less active than before. Water parameter are okay. Is this a common side effect does anyone know?

TedsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hotrocks and others have been using a 14 day copper with transfer to sterile qt with success and are recommending this course of treatment. He states in this thread that the protocol he uses was developed/adapted with help from Humblefish and 4fordfamily

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-current-qt-process.483371/
I would like to point out that @HotRocks's treatment doesn't end after 14 days of copper. So only 14 days of copper may not have been enough (I'm assuming the fish had unnoticeable symptoms after the 14 day copper treatment). Here's the full excerpt:

After 14 days of therapeutic copper I transfer to a 2nd sterile QT. Temp/salinity matching.

After the transfer if I have a fish that is still showing signs of infection I would run a 14 day course of NFG. If no signs of infection is present I would skip NFG.

Last step is two rounds of Praziquantel using either GC or Prazipro. I prefer GC as it contains metronidazole as well and covers a few other diseases like Brook and uronema. This treatment is dosed into the water column to treat externally, as I have covered internal issues during copper with the food soaked meds.

14 Days of observation post medications prior to transfer to DT in order to make sure the fish are healthy and disease free.

I did a freshwater dip on the fish showing heavy infestation and treated with PraziPro. Today is day 2 and all the fish seem less active than before. Water parameter are okay. Is this a common side effect does anyone know?

@Dubs83 From what I've read it is normal for fish to be less active and have less of an appetite while treating with meds.

Last edited:

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper is only a single piece of the puzzle. As mentioned above.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. It is interesting that they showed up later. There was not a new fish thrown in the mix was there?

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper is only a single piece of the puzzle. As mentioned above.

I don’t understand. I’ve had these fish for over 2 years. Minus the hippo tang. They have all gone through 30 days of copper and two treatments of prazi regardless of symptoms. The hippo was going and successfully went through the same qt procedure when we decided to upgrade our tank. After two months of QT he joined the rest of my fish in a temp tank while my new tank was set up.

Two weeks later, I had an ich outbreak. I treated all of them for ich per the new recommended treatment then I moved them into a sterilized tank for observation. Did I miss a step?

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t understand. I’ve had these fish for over 2 years. Minus the hippo tang. They have all gone through 30 days of copper and two treatments of prazi regardless of symptoms. The hippo was going and successfully went through the same qt procedure when we decided to upgrade our tank. After two months of QT he joined the rest of my fish in a temp tank while my new tank was set up.

Two weeks later, I had an ich outbreak. I treated all of them for ich per the new recommended treatment then I moved them into a sterilized tank for observation. Did I miss a step?
It is a wee bit nuts that that it made it thru your QT with 30 days of copper. There are some forms of copper resistant ich according things I have read. But regarding your original fish QT...what copper did you use and what level did you keep it at? But I thought the recent thing was not ich but flukes of some sort? Did you do the 14 days copper, then new tank, then Prazipro or General Cure?

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a wee bit nuts that that it made it thru your QT with 30 days of copper. There are some forms of copper resistant ich according things I have read. But regarding your original fish QT...what copper did you use and what level did you keep it at? But I thought the recent thing was not ich but flukes of some sort? Did you do the 14 days copper, then new tank, then Prazipro or General Cure?

So, the copper I’ve always used was CopperSafe. I just ordered some copper power as I’m starting to run low. I’ve always tried to keep it between 1.75 and 2.00ppm but I’ve only had the API test kit so it was a guessing game at best.

The display tank has been fallow since it’s been set up. The fish were living in 40 breeders while I was setting up the new tank.

About 10 days after the move, the hippo tang finished his round of QT and moved in to join the others until the new tank cycled. I did that to keep the number of tanks that needed care to a minimum as my better 3/4s wouldn’t be happy lol.

About a week later, I noticed ICH. Treated for that using the current method of 14 days in copper. Did that using CopperSafe and a Hanna checker to make sure my levels were where they needed to be. On day 15 they moved into a sterilized 40b and a brute can. All I had. 10 days later, flukes.

I did not treat with prazi pro or GC because all of them have previously gone through it. I didn’t think I needed to.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better pictures maybe?

IMG_1165.JPG

IMG_1167.JPG

IMG_1170.JPG

IMG_1171.JPG

To add insult to injury, the Kole appears to have developed some type of mouth injury. I can’t win
IMG_1174.JPG

IMG_1166.JPG

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the copper I’ve always used was CopperSafe. I just ordered some copper power as I’m starting to run low. I’ve always tried to keep it between 1.75 and 2.00ppm but I’ve only had the API test kit so it was a guessing game at best.

The display tank has been fallow since it’s been set up. The fish were living in 40 breeders while I was setting up the new tank.

About 10 days after the move, the hippo tang finished his round of QT and moved in to join the others until the new tank cycled. I did that to keep the number of tanks that needed care to a minimum as my better 3/4s wouldn’t be happy lol.

About a week later, I noticed ICH. Treated for that using the current method of 14 days in copper. Did that using CopperSafe and a Hanna checker to make sure my levels were where they needed to be. On day 15 they moved into a sterilized 40b and a brute can. All I had. 10 days later, flukes.

I did not treat with prazi pro or GC because all of them have previously gone through it. I didn’t think I needed to.
That all seems very reasonable to me. It just goes to show how stress can effect fish so badly.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just aint easy. Part of it is our own fault wanting bigger and better and do overs. Not that I am blaming you. I am guilty of it too. We just need to have increased diligence and dedication to our fish during these times. Which you have demonstrated, of course.

Last edited:

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are prazi resistant flukes out there. I would dip and see if anything falls off. Slowly try to eliminate what it may be.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So we’re pretty certain these are flukes?
Hard to tell but dipping them in FW will certainly tell you if they are present. Given what you have treated, its tough to say if Ich is present again. Did you ever use the same buckets or equipment with your DT and QT when your DT was fallow?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back