Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1335.jpg

Is there a good how to on how to scrape this off to examine what the heck this stuff is?

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll hook you up on a couple techniques later- out walking with the kids just now.

I’m so sorry about your fish man, this sucks

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catch them in a larger glass measuring container, dump most of the water back into the tank until a side is exposed to air swab with a Q Tip and release back to tank. Have someone else do the swabbing so you can focus on the fish, mind the scapel in tangs.
Do you have a 2.5 gallon glass aquarium? I use it for fresh water dips and it is great for pictures.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catch them in a larger glass measuring container, dump most of the water back into the tank until a side is exposed to air swab with a Q Tip and release back to tank. Have someone else do the swabbing so you can focus on the fish, mind the scapel in tangs.
Do you have a 2.5 gallon glass aquarium? I use it for fresh water dips and it is great for pictures.

I do as a matter of fact. I’ll clean it up now and paint it black

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 days copper minimum and 2 separate treatments of prazi pro, I do this with every fish I buy and I’ve never had any outbreaks

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 days copper minimum and 2 separate treatments of prazi pro, I do this with every fish I buy and I’ve never had any outbreaks

Yes, all the fish in QT have gone through QT when purchased over 12 - 18months ago. I admittedly did not QT new frags or inverts. I’m assuming something infiltrated the old DT via frag or invert. This became a thing during a “temporary” move from an old DT while setting up a new DT.

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, all the fish in QT have gone through QT when purchased over 12 - 18months ago. I admittedly did not QT new frags or inverts. I’m assuming something infiltrated the old DT via frag or invert. This became a thing during a “temporary” move from an old DT while setting up a new DT.
Yes that’s probably what happened. I’m so paranoid of ich I qt everything, inverts, corals, even macro algae. May be over kill but I don’t want to deal with Ich ever.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that’s probably what happened. I’m so paranoid of ich I qt everything, inverts, corals, even macro algae. May be over kill but I don’t want to deal with Ich ever.

Yea. I was newbieish at the time and didn’t consider coral as a threat. I learned over time but this is so deflating it’s not even funny. I woke up today motivated to get things done for my ongoing upgrade and when I saw the QT today it just destroyed any motivation I had.

I’m going to petco now to pick up somethings and separate them all. I think I’ll do the angel and clowns together since they seem to be most healthy looking, kole yellow and wrasse in another tank and the purple and hippo in a 3rd. I’ve just painted the 2.5 gallon and will do dips once it dries and record the thing to share with you guys. I’m tempted to wait for the microscope to get here so we can identify it.

I’m not sure if I can do another go at this if this fails. I’m already getting funny looks from the wife unit. Grateful she’s been patient with this this long.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 gallon long is the way to go. That sounds like a good idea. Maybe keep the heater vertical in the new tank to keep the dang wrass away from the heater! LOL.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, change of plans. I’m not allowed any more tanks. Lol. I tried. I have 1 40 breeder currently being occupied, 1 never before used which will house them after 14 days. And 2 20 longs. One of those 20s is currently occupied by inverts.

So two tanks I can use. I will start another Furan2 and kanaplex treatment tonight and continue to feed Metro and selcon. On Thursday, I’ll get a scrape of what’s in them and share with you guys once micro scope shows up. I believe they finish copper in 4-5 days and we can go from there.

The yellow tang has passed :/

Edit: Day 9
Copper 1.73

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, since I’ve been toying with my camera again I figured I’d post the yellow tang post mortem. I’m assuming he died due to infection?

10746250608_IMG_1165.JPG

10747742416_IMG_1166.JPG

10746477904_IMG_1169.JPG

10747717040_IMG_1170.JPG

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did he have that crater in his side before he died or was that from other fish after he died?

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After. I think it’s imprint of the pipe I found him under

Edit: Day 10
Copper 1.74

Last edited:

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I QT all of my fish but I am lax with corals etc also but after reading this my outlook has changed and now everything will be QT’ed. I’m sorry this is happening to you. Keep at it you’ll beat it.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today... day 12, copper 1.72.

I was getting ready to put the tooth pick to work and get a sample to put under the microscope... the fish appear to be clean.

@HotRocks
@4FordFamily
@Humblefish

Sorry to include you all, but how do I proceed? I’m halfway through first treatment of Furan2 and half way through first treatment of Kanaplex. I’m feeding Metroplex. I’m seeding a foam pad from my DT to prepare of their transfer on Day 15 to a sterile tank. Do I continue with FW dip today? Or just do a water change and finish the Furan 2 + Kanaplex treatment?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today... day 12, copper 1.72.

I was getting ready to put the tooth pick to work and get a sample to put under the microscope... the fish appear to be clean.

@HotRocks
@4FordFamily
@Humblefish

Sorry to include you all, but how do I proceed? I’m halfway through first treatment of Furan2 and half way through first treatment of Kanaplex. I’m feeding Metroplex. I’m seeding a foam pad from my DT to prepare of their transfer on Day 15 to a sterile tank. Do I continue with FW dip today? Or just do a water change and finish the Furan 2 + Kanaplex treatment?
I would finish the antibiotics, abandoning them midway is almost always a bad idea. If you're almost sure they're not necessary, abandon ship at day 10. I would use biospira for the sterile tank, that stuff is liquid gold. I don't think a freshwater dip is going to hurt anything.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agh. I jumped the gun. I’m sorry you guys. I got incredibly excited. Still white dusting over the hippo and kole tang. Ugh. Sorry you guys. I’ll keep with the plan. FW dip and I’ll finish the copper. 2 more days then I’ll run Prazi and NFG in observation.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good plan! No problem, it's nerve wracking sometimes!

Back