Is this Ich on my clown?

liamelias

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I’m 99% positive my clowns have ich but asking for advice. I’ve had my clowns for a month and a half. They are the only fish in the tank. About almost 2 weeks ago I started noticing the dreading tiny white spots which now have started covering the fish. Im not sure what to do. They’re still feeding great, very active and hungry. No weird behavior. I wonder if they are hardy enough to ride it through or should I setup a QT for them? Just afraid the QT will actually stress them out to the point they succumb to the disease. Any thoughts?
Here is a video and images that clearly show their white spots as they’re swimming IMG_0470.jpeg IMG_0469.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0468.mov
    14.8 MB

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The movie is short and the fish is too far away. A video longer than one minute under white light up close to the fish, showing both sides of the fish would be helpful. You can upload the video to YouTube then post the link to it here.

Definitely mucous extrusions. Also, unusual 'under the skin' grey areas. High probability of Cryptocaryon irritans (Marine Ich) if they go away and come back in a week. So, don't know how long these extrusions have been there. How long have you seen these; have they gone away and come back?

Have you done any on Chemoprophylaxis treatments?

Clownfishes have such a thick mucous coating that their diagnosis from a parasite to bacterial infections can be challenging.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Please repost under white lighting as this is either secondary bacterial lesions which I believe it is or mucus cones

OP
OP
liamelias

liamelias

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The movie is short and the fish is too far away. A video longer than one minute under white light up close to the fish, showing both sides of the fish would be helpful. You can upload the video to YouTube then post the link to it here.

Definitely mucous extrusions. Also, unusual 'under the skin' grey areas. High probability of Cryptocaryon irritans (Marine Ich) if they go away and come back in a week. So, don't know how long these extrusions have been there. How long have you seen these; have they gone away and come back?

Have you done any on Chemoprophylaxis treatments?

Clownfishes have such a thick mucous coating that their diagnosis from a parasite to bacterial infections can be challenging.
Thank you for the response! I’ve seen these spots for about 2 weeks, but they started covering the fish a bit more in the last week . I have not done any treatment in fear it stresses the fish out more.
Here is a link to a youtube video I just posted under white light. Hopefully this works betters

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey guys. I’m 99% positive my clowns have ich but asking for advice. I’ve had my clowns for a month and a half. They are the only fish in the tank. About almost 2 weeks ago I started noticing the dreading tiny white spots which now have started covering the fish. Im not sure what to do. They’re still feeding great, very active and hungry. No weird behavior. I wonder if they are hardy enough to ride it through or should I setup a QT for them? Just afraid the QT will actually stress them out to the point they succumb to the disease. Any thoughts?
Here is a video and images that clearly show their white spots as they’re swimming IMG_0470.jpeg IMG_0469.jpeg
Thank you. Here is my video

This appears to be marine ich and fish will have to be placed in Quarantine and treated with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank may have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a starter kit from Walmart or second hand store which most of the needed essentials.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This appears to be marine ich and fish will have to be placed in Quarantine and treated with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank may have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a starter kit from Walmart or second hand store which most of the needed essentials.
Way to many spots for the opening outbreak on a fish. Also look at the pics and cloudy mucous dorsal side. These fish will be dead in a week without immediate formulin treatment.

OP
OP
liamelias

liamelias

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way to many spots for the opening outbreak on a fish. Also look at the pics and cloudy mucous dorsal side. These fish will be dead in a week without immediate formulin treatment.
What do you suggest I do? Im not sure what formulin treatment is. What steps can I take?

OP
OP
liamelias

liamelias

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for ask the advice. So for the QT I don’t need to cycle it? I understand no sand or rocks and just a piece of pvc. But how do i control ammonia without having to do daily water changes which is a little hard for me.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you suggest I do? Im not sure what formulin treatment is. What steps can I take?
Vetteguy or Jay are the experts for treatment. Ich treatment is much different then brook medication. I had clowns with brook so I'm familiar with the symptoms. It is a common deadly disease for clowns and other fish. You don't typically see clowns with ich that much. Ich starts with just a couple dots the goes away for awhile then comes back with more white dots and so on. Brook looks like fish us covered with salt specs and cloudy dorsal side appearance which is mucous coat defensive mechanism.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you for ask the advice. So for the QT I don’t need to cycle it? I understand no sand or rocks and just a piece of pvc. But how do i control ammonia without having to do daily water changes which is a little hard for me.
You will have to monitor ammonia levels within tank and change accordingly. You can also add a hang on power filter and remove carbon from cartridge which will reduce micron particulates. Any seeded material like a sponge or pourous block helps with bacteria.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Vetteguy or Jay are the experts for treatment. Ich treatment is much different then brook medication. I had clowns with brook so I'm familiar with the symptoms. It is a common deadly disease for clowns and other fish. You don't typically see clowns with ich that much. Ich starts with just a couple dots the goes away for awhile then comes back with more white dots and so on. Brook looks like fish us covered with salt specs and cloudy dorsal side appearance which is mucous coat defensive mechanism.
Brook generally does not envelope the entire fish with dots and this form of ich which I could not remember name which i did now is called Amlyoodinium which is a single cell flagella will cause excess mucus and at times loss of scales from fish and as an encrusted cell releasing cysts , it covers the fish as in the pics

OP
OP
liamelias

liamelias

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brook generally does not envelope the entire fish with dots and this form of ich which I could not remember name which i did now is called Amlyoodinium which is a single cell flagella will cause excess mucus and at times loss of scales from fish and as an encrusted cell releasing cysts , it covers the fish as in the pics
I will mix water and set up the QT tomorrow. Do you recommend any procedure before putting the fish in QT? FW baths or any other kind of baths? Should I also dose copper as you directed in combination with any other medication or copper will just suffice?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think this is Brooklynella, the fish have been infected too long and are still swimming well, not “mopey” like Brook makes them look. I think this is late stage ich, when the mucus development tends to hide the individual trophonts.

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I will mix water and set up the QT tomorrow. Do you recommend any procedure before putting the fish in QT? FW baths or any other kind of baths? Should I also dose copper as you directed in combination with any other medication or copper will just suffice?
Go to copper as described.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think this is Brooklynella, the fish have been infected too long and are still swimming well, not “mopey” like Brook makes them look. I think this is late stage ich, when the mucus development tends to hide the individual trophonts.

Jay
My clowns acted fairly normal at first also. I think this is why they refer to it as clownfish disease. Clowns are prone to it and seem to last a little longer then other infected fish. Clowns just have a strong survival mode. I saw it with my Clowns but once the disease took hold everything started going fast.

I'm sure you would agree the OP is not having normal ich progression with his fish. They are filly coveted in spots and mucous.

OP
OP
liamelias

liamelias

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns acted fairly normal at first also. I think this is why they refer to it as clownfish disease. Clowns are prone to it and seem to last a little longer then other infected fish. Clowns just have a strong survival mode. I saw it with my Clowns but once the disease took hold everything started going fast.

I'm sure you would agree the OP is not having normal ich progression with his fish. They are filly coveted in spots and mucous.
Is there anyway I can diagnose for sure what they have? I’m afraid to treat them for ich, but ends up being brook, or vice versa

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under the circumstance of uncertainty this is what I would:
Get Ruby Reef Rally Pro.

Dip at 2x concentration, for 90 minutes. Be sure to: (a) Temperature control the bath water by using a heater. (b) Provide plenty of oxygen by using an air pump + air stone. (c) Ensure salinity, pH and temperature of the dip water matches the tank the fish is coming from (or use water the fish is currently in and maintain temperature). Then move fish into quarantine tank - same salinity, pH and temp as was the dip water. QT should not be where the fish or any fish with Brook or misc parasites came from.

Now treat with copper (be sure to have and use the Hanna High Range Copper Checker)

Monitor ammonia.

OP
OP
liamelias

liamelias

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under the circumstance of uncertainty this is what I would:
Get Ruby Reef Rally Pro.

Dip at 2x concentration, for 90 minutes. Be sure to: (a) Temperature control the bath water by using a heater. (b) Provide plenty of oxygen by using an air pump + air stone. (c) Ensure salinity, pH and temperature of the dip water matches the tank the fish is coming from (or use water the fish is currently in and maintain temperature). Then move fish into quarantine tank - same salinity, pH and temp as was the dip water. QT should not be where the fish or any fish with Brook or misc parasites came from.

Now treat with copper (be sure to have and use the Hanna High Range Copper Checker)

Monitor ammonia.
This is extremely helpful thank you so much for all the detailed steps. One last question. Since I’m just setting up the QT as emergency, it is not cycled. Could I throw in a sponge from my current DT? Or just monitor ammonia and do water changes. I ask only because if i throw in a sponge from my DT, don’t want the possibility to reinfect the fish in QT. Unless the sponge doesn’t carry the parasite

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 43.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back