Is this ich on my Sailfin tang?

Onixom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i've noticed some white spots on my sailfin tang.
I've recently added a sun coral that i bought from my LFS (they received it from a customer who dismantled their tank the day before) so im wondering if the coral had anything on it to transfer disease? (I never add the water the fish or corals come in)
If a better photo is needed i can don my cameo and stakeout the tank as he will sit steady and they has to show off when stood near the glass
20220522_211141.jpg

OP
OP
Onixom

Onixom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like ich to me. Are the spots fuzzy or more defined? Any flashing?
#fishmedic
Corals, rocks, and inverts can all carry ich on them.
Best way i can describe them is they have a slight rise to them in the center (if you look from the side of them) they dont look to be fuzzy.
Not sure what you mean about flashing?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tail spots seem a bit large to be ich, but maybe? There are three smaller spots along the dorsal that are more the right size.

Corals, anything wet really, can transfer ich from one tank to another. Lots of variables involved; how much water got moved, how active the ich infection was in the first tank, water temperature, and resistance on the fish themselves.

I would watch those three large spots on the tail - if they drop off and new ones pop up in different locations, it is more likely ich and will need to be treated - typically in a treatment tank....copper or hyposalinity, Then, your main tank needs to remain fishless for 45 to 75 days.

Jay

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best way i can describe them is they have a slight rise to them in the center (if you look from the side of them) they dont look to be fuzzy.
Not sure what you mean about flashing?
Flashing is when fish will quickly rub themselves against rocks - like scratching an itch for them, and is often an indicator of parasites including ich.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like possibly lymphocystis but Hay gave a good suggestion

OP
OP
Onixom

Onixom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flashing is when fish will quickly rub themselves against rocks - like scratching an itch for them, and is often an indicator of parasites including ich.
They've not been rubbing against rocks except for when they're hunting to the food in tank.
Well atleast from when ive been watching theres been no scratching

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with "maybe."

I would just observe for now, waiting to see if it gets worse and to see if anyone else shows symptoms before trying to catch and treat.

OP
OP
Onixom

Onixom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update- When lights when off the spots disappeared. When they came on they reappeared but today they have gone completely even with lights on

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update- When lights when off the spots disappeared. When they came on they reappeared but today they have gone completely even with lights on
Okay. Spots will come and go as part of ich's life cycle. A couple spots that come and go would indicate mild ich. If it gets to the point where there are lots of spots, I would get all fish out and treat in QT. Until then, I would just keep an eye on it. It takes a severe case to cause death, and it's really slow coming, if you're dealing with ich.

Back