Is this ich or velvet? Help save my fish please!

OP
OP
Luttky08

Luttky08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal would a furan-2 bath work? That's all we currently have on hand and local fish store is closed

OP
OP
Luttky08

Luttky08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given your last post about the dragonet, and looking at the clownfish, I do think they have Brooklynella. Ich would produce more discrete white spots and Velvet causes rapid breathing as one of the first symptoms.
The only other diagnosis would be a bacterial disease, but I just don't think it is that. The only thing that doesn't really add up is that Brook is usually seen on new clownfish, not long term captives. I guess the wrasse might have brought it in, but then, the timeline from the wrasse's arrival and the dragonet dying seems pretty quick.

You really only have two treatment options, and both involve moving the fish to a treatment tank. You *might* get away with just moving out the infected fish, as Brook does not affect all fish equally. Here is a thread:

Jay
We don't have a tank set up. Is there a way we can take water from display tank and treat that? We don't have a second tank set up that is cycled. im afraid that if we make fresh water and set up a brand new tank we will lose all our fish. Any advice?

OP
OP
Luttky08

Luttky08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice on how to set up a qt tank and fast without waiting for the tank to cycle? Can I use display tank water for now and just treat it? I don't have time to wait for a tank to cycle. And can't lose all my coral too.
You should be able to get your clowns out as a starter. Over the last 20 years I've found my clowns are probably the easiest fish to remove.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice on how to set up a qt tank and fast without waiting for the tank to cycle? Can I use display tank water for now and just treat it? I don't have time to wait for a tank to cycle. And can't lose all my coral too.
You don't need to worry about cycling a QT tank. Just keep an eye on ammonia. With two clowns it should go a couple days without needing to take action.

You can use DT water (which may have infected water) but your clowns have it already, so I doubt it matter but I'm no expert in this area.

Just have a heater, water and power head for flow.

You can use water changes or Prime to control ammonia. But if you use Prime, make sure it's compatible with any medications you dose.

You can fill the QT tank today with your DT water and move the clowns over immediately.

OP
OP
Luttky08

Luttky08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to worry about cycling a QT tank. Just keep an eye on ammonia. With two clowns it should go a couple days without needing to take action.

You can use DT water (which may have infected water) but your clowns have it already, so I doubt it matter but I'm no expert in this area.

Just have a heater, water and power head for flow.

You can use water changes or Prime to control ammonia. But if you use Prime, make sure it's compatible with any medications you dose.

You can fill the QT tank today with your DT water and move the clowns over immediately.
Ok and what about my other fish? Do I need to worry about putting them into qt too? I'm afraid I'll lose them all. We have a yellow tang and I really don't want to lose him since they are very hard to get right now and very expensive! We Also have 2 other clowns in the display tank.

OP
OP
Luttky08

Luttky08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok and what about my other fish? Do I need to worry about putting them into qt too? I'm afraid I'll lose them all. We have a yellow tang and I really don't want to lose him since they are very hard to get right now and very expensive! We Also have 2 other clowns in the display tank.
We have 3 blue damsels, 4 clowns (2 only 6 months old which are not infected) yellow tang, yellow coris wrasse and a dart fish. As of right now looks like the 2 older clowns and the wrasse are infected.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll let others chime in here. I have never encountered nor treated brook.

I assume you will need to remove all fish. It's easier than it seems.

I have a 300g and have successfully removed any fish I needed.

You can just plastic mesh screen to divide the tank in to smaller and smaller sections to isolate the fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal would a furan-2 bath work? That's all we currently have on hand and local fish store is closed
Sorry, no - Furan=2 is an antibiotic, and this is most likely a protozoan disease.

Jay

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try a freshwater bath. That provides temporary relief of symptoms.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Luttky08

Luttky08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brook acts quickly and you need to buy yourself time. From a medical standpoint, you don't delay medication because they're "fine for now."
I totally understand. We are losing our heads over here... want to keep our fish alive without the supplies we need due to limited stores around us and not being open on the weekend. We will fresh water bathe them for 5 min. Then put them in the qt tank with our general cure (metroplex)

Can you get femeldahyde at a drug store? Idk where to get it and Amazon won't have it to me until Thursday.

Can I bathe them in formalin after having them in metroplex?

OP
OP
Luttky08

Luttky08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Qt tank set up and fish look better already after dosing with general cure. The "white" that was on them is nearly gone. Praying we caught it in time. The wrasse looks completely healthy no spots at all.
20210222_120431.jpg

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Qt tank set up and fish look better already after dosing with general cure. The "white" that was on them is nearly gone. Praying we caught it in time. The wrasse looks completely healthy no spots at all.
20210222_120431.jpg
That’s great that you were able to catch almost all the fish! You’ll have to tell me your secrets on catching your Yellow Coris Wrasse. I have a big guy who I would like to move into my 90 gallon soon.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to catch every fish in my tank with a fish trap. I used one that had a heavy glass door that closed like Thor's hammer and a long trip line.

Here's my flame that thought he was smarter than me:
Flame-trap_zps0e9c7a70.jpg

My Rhomboid didn't have a superiority complex and he went pretty quickly:
rhomboid-trap_zps35db4839.jpg

OP
OP
Luttky08

Luttky08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s great that you were able to catch almost all the fish! You’ll have to tell me your secrets on catching your Yellow Coris Wrasse. I have a big guy who I would like to move into my 90 gallon soon.
We took all our rock out. Watched where he went in the sand and netted the sand and the wrasse. Lol they are fast!

OP
OP
Luttky08

Luttky08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210224_233849.jpg

Day 4 of quarantine. They seem to be doing ok. Our yellow wrasse appears to have no white on it anymore but the clowns still do. I did notice big momma had some white poop so we are also treating for internal parasites by feeding metroplex in with frozen food. They are still eating but not as aggressively as they use to. Still very concerned but we are doing all that we can do. First 48 hours dosed general cure did a 5 gallon water change and now treating with metroplex in the water as well.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210224_233849.jpg

Day 4 of quarantine. They seem to be doing ok. Our yellow wrasse appears to have no white on it anymore but the clowns still do. I did notice big momma had some white poop so we are also treating for internal parasites by feeding metroplex in with frozen food. They are still eating but not as aggressively as they use to. Still very concerned but we are doing all that we can do. First 48 hours dosed general cure did a 5 gallon water change and now treating with metroplex in the water as well.
General Cure and Metroplex both contain Metronidazole. Although is is fairly well tolerated, you are essentially upping the dose. Also, metro is REALLY bitter. Fish rarely feed on food medicated with it unless the dose is really low (and then of course, not effective).

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back