senorsancho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
81E76A93-795D-4643-9DCF-B34F8D6570E5.jpeg

182155E3-0198-4B42-AFF6-FD7BA3D14E28.jpeg

B3F2ADE0-461D-4B6A-8739-BB5430DCABE5.jpeg

Hello, I am trying to diagnose whether this is ich or velvet that my sailfin tang has right now. I have a good amount of fish in my tank and I see most of them scraping sometimes but they seem to be fine. I believe my clownfish may also have the disease as well I need to get pics of them too. However, the sailfin right now is the worst. I just had a trigger die of whatever this is (ich or velvet) I figured it was ich since he was stressed for a while from another fish bothering him and had spots on him and figured if it was velvet they would have died quicker, unless it was from something I added recently like a coral or something. Can somebody just help me ID this, I am hoping it is ich and I can help my tank out.

OP
OP
senorsancho

senorsancho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to me like ick.
Spots are countable and not round in shape.
Well that's a relief because that means I still have options to possibly treat them and such. The tang has what looks like some kind of black patches on him on his face and then his tail is also a bit mucusy looking too. Could this just be an infection or something similar?

OP
OP
senorsancho

senorsancho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That thing looks to be in really rough shape.
Yeah I'm not sure why, he doesn't fight with anything, he eats good but for some reason besides the couple spots just has those weird black splotches on him, guessing it has to be infection or something

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant say much else, I see “something” (in addition to ick) but can not discern its cause.
Hopefully @Jay Hemdal might chime in, his expertise in this regard will be very helpful.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
81E76A93-795D-4643-9DCF-B34F8D6570E5.jpeg

182155E3-0198-4B42-AFF6-FD7BA3D14E28.jpeg

B3F2ADE0-461D-4B6A-8739-BB5430DCABE5.jpeg

Hello, I am trying to diagnose whether this is ich or velvet that my sailfin tang has right now. I have a good amount of fish in my tank and I see most of them scraping sometimes but they seem to be fine. I believe my clownfish may also have the disease as well I need to get pics of them too. However, the sailfin right now is the worst. I just had a trigger die of whatever this is (ich or velvet) I figured it was ich since he was stressed for a while from another fish bothering him and had spots on him and figured if it was velvet they would have died quicker, unless it was from something I added recently like a coral or something. Can somebody just help me ID this, I am hoping it is ich and I can help my tank out.
That looks like a dual infection; ich and skin flukes. If you can give the fish a FW dip, that may buy you some time. Ich kills faster than flukes do, but there is no way to tell you how long the flukes have been going on.
You might want to consider hyposalinity for these fish - it will control ich, as well as two common fluke types. You need to get them to a specific gravity of 1.009 over 48 hours, no invertebrates present of course.
Jay

OP
OP
senorsancho

senorsancho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a dual infection; ich and skin flukes. If you can give the fish a FW dip, that may buy you some time. Ich kills faster than flukes do, but there is no way to tell you how long the flukes have been going on.
You might want to consider hyposalinity for these fish - it will control ich, as well as two common fluke types. You need to get them to a specific gravity of 1.009 over 48 hours, no invertebrates present of course.
Jay
Does flukes spread between fish? Does it stay in the water? Or how does it work? Have never heard or dealt with flukes only ich

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, flukes can spread via larva through the water to other fish. However some flukes are specific parasites of certain species. Flukes are tiny worms. Ich is a protozoan.

Jay

OP
OP
senorsancho

senorsancho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, flukes can spread via larva through the water to other fish. However some flukes are specific parasites of certain species. Flukes are tiny worms. Ich is a protozoan.

Jay
How can I eliminate flukes from my tank? If I remove all fish and treat them in a qt tank, and leave the main tank fallow, will that eliminate the flukes?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0173EA2D-31C5-47ED-8417-E28383CA503A.jpeg

here is a white light picture
Advanced ich more likely. Brooklynella won’t have distinct spots, just mucus sheets. Ich will create mucus though, in moderate to severe cases.
Jay

OP
OP
senorsancho

senorsancho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Advanced ich more likely. Brooklynella won’t have distinct spots, just mucus sheets. Ich will create mucus though, in moderate to severe cases.
Jay
I believe I have had ich in my tank but never really was noticed except for one fish who would be bothered by a fox face at time, I think I have gotten a frag or a fish that may have had flukes though, so that is probably the reason for the ich outbreak now. I had donated my foxface to somebody with a QT and I believe he had some blackish looking spots on him so I feel like it's a good chance I do have flukes. Now what would be the best route? I think my tank was fine managing ich before, would you think I can just dose prazipro in my DT and possibly heal the fish that are sick after they get some freshwater dips?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a lot of spots IMM.
I’d get them all out and fallow that DT.
Save what you can and rid your DT of the infestation.
It replicates over and over as long as fish present.

Back