Is this ich or Velvet

Khoi_La

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

My clowns just got off a 4 weeks qt to my 120 2 days ago. And now I'm seeing specs on it. But I'm not too sure if it's ich or velvet?

The tank had a history of velvet outbreak in June 10th, and it has been fallow since then with a UV sterilizer hooked up. The yellow watchman goby I added on September 1st is doing fine with no white spots on it so I don't think that the velvet is still present in the tank? I could be wrong.

But can someone help me identify this? Below is 2 pictures and a video.Thank you so much.

Screenshot_20210922-145922_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210922-145906_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• 20210922_143429.mp4
    27.4 MB
OP
OP
Khoi_La

Khoi_La

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's eating well, acting all normal. I just noticed the spots during lunch so I don't know if there is anymore ich spots appeared.
I guess it's time to scoop them out again lol

But thank you for your help
Looks like the beginning of ich, is he eating still? And have anymore spots appeared? - kali

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's eating well, acting all normal. I just noticed the spots during lunch so I don't know if there is anymore ich spots appeared.
I guess it's time to scoop them out again lol

But thank you for your help
Yeah - that is pretty clearly ich. Velvet is a real stinker - you basically will see the fish start breathing fast and then go off food. The fish often dies within 36 hours. With ich, the fish breath fine and still feed, often for days before the infection gets serious enough. Advanced ich is often confused with velvet.

Jay

OP
OP
Khoi_La

Khoi_La

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - that is pretty clearly ich. Velvet is a real stinker - you basically will see the fish start breathing fast and then go off food. The fish often dies within 36 hours. With ich, the fish breath fine and still feed, often for days before the infection gets serious enough. Advanced ich is often confused with velvet.

Jay
Thank you, I just want to make sure I don't have another run with velvet. Because I'm so close to quitting this hobby

Pimba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Advanced ich is often confused with velvet.
Is it correct to say the difference between advanced ich and velvet is that they both look similar but if the fish doesn't breath heavy and still feeding, it's an advanced case of ich?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it correct to say the difference between advanced ich and velvet is that they both look similar but if the fish doesn't breath heavy and still feeding, it's an advanced case of ich?
End-stage ich causes rapid breathing and non-feeding also. Prior to that point, the fish can have a lot of spots yet still be breathing o.k. and eating o.k. With velvet, you often just see rapid breathing, glassy eyes and then death. If you see spots, they will be very small and dusty looking, and typically at the end of the infection.

Visual disease ID is really tough, lots of variables. Using a microscope is sometimes the only way to confirm what is going on.

Jay

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back