Is this ich?

peffy03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

Noticed a few specks that look like salt clung to the outside of my YT today. can someone confirm if this is ich?

I have a 150G Display tank, also have 2 10g quarantine tanks which arent nearly enough to house all of my fish.. if this is ich can i treat the DT with livestock in there? I have ich attack and Nox ICH on hand and could get something else if its recommended.
current stock
1 Powder Brown
1 YT
2 Clowns
1 Gramma Basslet
1 Green chromis
1 Pajama cardinal
1 Kauderns Cardinal
1 Blenny
1 assessor

Everyone looks happy, including the YT, everyone is eating, nobody is hiding or appears stressed.

IMG-1458.jpg IMG-1457.jpg

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you count the number of white spots or is there too many to count?

OP
OP
P

peffy03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i can count pretty high... honestly its pretty dense, i would guess 30-40 per side.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Ich; too big to be velvet. Decisions to be made. The thread below can help you decide. Nox Ich won't work. It's just malachite green.

Silentdeath5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would expect the Powder brown to be first to exhibit ick though but definitely not how it always is.

OP
OP
P

peffy03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i read through that page while i was waiting for a confirmation.
What is crypto? it looks to be different to ich, how should i treat it?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a very hand pictorial of the most common saltwater parasites/diseases:

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the freshwater version is in the genus Ichthyophthirius "ich". The marine version is Cryptocaryon.

Unfortunately for salt people crypto is much more difficult to deal with. Freshwater ich basically is just up the temp and add some salt, done deal. Marine requires more work and is frustrating. Good luck!

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a QT tank? If not you will have to go down the ich management route. Do you have a UV, like an actual sterilizer and not just a UV clarifier.

If you do ich management, good diet + good water and hope it goes away, but assume that it will still be in the tank.

OP
OP
P

peffy03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 2 10g QT tanks, one is doing a copper quarantine for some new fish (Green chromis) , the other is empty.

I dont have a UV sterilizer, I could buy one..

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go the ich eradication route all of your fish have to be pulled out of the display tank into your QT (s) and your display tank has to be fallow for 76 days. Same applies to velvet, I think.

You can treat ich using copper or if you don’t have copper you can use something like SeaChem’s Cupramine. I’ll leave the details to the experts.

If you decide to get a UV, once again make sure it’s powerful enough to actually contain the pathogens and their spread (it does so by using UV light to damage their DNA structure) and not just a UV clarifier which can only deal with mild algae issues (I think).

I think there’s a company that sells UV that divides their products into 3 levels: Level 0 is clarification, Level 1 has disease control and algae control capabilities, Level 2 is the highest level up from Level 1. Forgot their name so again I’ll leave it to the experts.

Hope your YT recovers soon.

Do you know the source of the ich? Anything new added in the last 30 days?

Edit: If your QT tanks really aren’t enough to contain all your fish (which means going fallow may not be an option for you), you may have to go down the management route.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
UV is effective before it happens. You have the ick. Start with freshwater dip and move on to quarantine with copper based treatment or chelated form known as cuprimine.
All occupants are at risk and unless your tank is a fish only- No Coral, quarantine will be of essence.

OP
OP
P

peffy03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just moved the YT to quarantine. added cupramine and prazipro. The YT is a new fish (sunday) i didnt quarantine him because of the copper sensitivity that some tangs have.. he didnt have the white spots on him when i picked him up and he was at the LFS for 3 weeks or so before i bought him so i felt pretty safe. Lesson learned i suppose. my last few additions, chromis, basslet, etc have all been through a copper quarantine before being added.

for the copper level, should i go to .50 or leave it less because its a tang? ive read / heard conflicting answers on that (leave copper low for tangs) or (if copper is low you might as well not do it at all).

I need to run to the LHS and get some pvc for this second quarantine, i could swing by the lfs if there is something else i should have to help. Right now hes hanging out in a bare bottom 10g with a bubble filter, heater, and a small koralia. Im going to pick up another ammoalert badge for this QT too..

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t know Cupramine’s actually chelated copper. Elliot Lim mentioned it in the BRS video. Thanks for the info.
Didn’t know Cupramine’s actually chelated copper. Elliot Lim mentioned it in the BRS video. Thanks for the info.
Cupramine is an "Ionic" copper as is Brightwells. Chelated coppers are Copper Power, Coppersafe.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back