Is this ich?

somekindabonita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added three new fish to the tank - 2 weeks in my quarantine, and now 18 days in the main display. Noticed on Monday this white speck on my coral beauty. Today it looks to have gotten bigger, so not just my eyes playing tricks on me.

I'm in the process of setting a QT back up, but would like some opinions of what this might be!

Does it look the beginning of ich on the coral beauty's fin? It's only one single white spot, but has gotten a bit bigger over the last two days

Attachments

• PXL_20210428_223649597.mp4
    7 MB

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe that is ich....possibly lymph, though.

Ich spots don't typically grow in size...but they do grow in numbers.

OP
OP
somekindabonita

somekindabonita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe that is ich....possibly lymph, though.

Ich spots don't typically grow in size...but they do grow in numbers.

I'm not familiar with lymph, so looks like I have some reading to do tonight!
My first glance looks like lymph would start manifesting more with stress, would moving the fish to QT again cause more damage by stressing them out?
I had noticed my cleaner shrimp started hanging out in the angel's cave recently, I wonder if that stressed the fish out

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first glance looks like lymph would start manifesting more with stress, would moving the fish to QT again cause more damage by stressing them out?
I had noticed my cleaner shrimp started hanging out in the angel's cave recently, I wonder if that stressed the fish out
That is probably Lymphocystis, but the video isn't super clear. Cleaner shrimp will be attracted to that for "cleaning" so that would explain that.

I'm more worried about your "2 week" quarantine - what did you treat with? Most quarantines are a minimum of 30 days, and mine is 45+

Jay

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lymphocystis is a viral infection. Most just ignore this and some have shown that improved water conditions, less stress, and improved diet will help the fish fight it off. I wouldn't do anything more to stress the fish out...ie: leave it where it is and let it adapt to its surroundings.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I agree on lympho and hard to confirm as a 3 second video provides very little opportunity to see clearly.
Lympho is viral and with good water quality and diet provided, will fall off in a few short weeks on its own.
What test kits are you using and what is your current . . Ammonia-ph-nitrate-temperature and salinity readings?

OP
OP
somekindabonita

somekindabonita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is probably Lymphocystis, but the video isn't super clear. Cleaner shrimp will be attracted to that for "cleaning" so that would explain that.

I'm more worried about your "2 week" quarantine - what did you treat with? Most quarantines are a minimum of 30 days, and mine is 45+

Jay
I'd love to read about your quarantine procedure if you've posted it before!

I was following the 14 days from seachem's instructions on cupramine

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to read about your quarantine procedure if you've posted it before!

I was following the 14 days from seachem's instructions on cupramine

Here is a link to the quarantine protocol I use:

Jay

OP
OP
somekindabonita

somekindabonita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on lympho and hard to confirm as a 3 second video provides very little opportunity to see clearly.
Lympho is viral and with good water quality and diet provided, will fall off in a few short weeks on its own.
What test kits are you using and what is your current . . Ammonia-ph-nitrate-temperature and salinity readings?
Red sea test kits:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrates - 5
pH - 8.2 (Apex probe closer to 8.1 at the moment, but within normal for my daily fluctuations)

Salinity - 1.025 with refractometer (calibrated with BRS 1.0264 solution)

Temp between 77-78 with inkbird controller. Apex probe is in a different chamber and shows ~76.7-77.9 temp fluctuations through the day

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back