Is this Ick or Velvet? Check video

Newreefer2022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, just noticed this, quarantining other fish and treating them in copper.

I thought this was ick at first

but maybe it's Velvet as there are lots of dots and killed these 2 fishes already.

New reefer, advice please.
IMG_20210703_011533.jpg
IMG_20210703_011501.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Very high case of velvet. Velvet can take fish down in a hurry if not treated quickly. With ich, you can generally count the dots whereas with velvet, it represents the solar system as in the case of your tang. velvet spots on the fish that are much finer than the spots seen in Ich making it harder to catch until in cases too late to treat.
Some behaviors associated with a fish with velvet are :
- Scratching body against hard objects
- Fish is lethargic
- Loss of appetite and weight loss
- Rapid, labored breathing
- Fins clamped against the body
- rapid breathing and mucus around the gills

Fish with velvet will typically stay at the surface of the water, or remain in a position where a steady flow of water is present in the aquarium. As the disease progresses outwards from the gills, the cysts then become visible on the fins and body. Although these cysts may appear as tiny white dots the size of a grain of salt, like the first sign of Saltwater Ich or White Spot Disease, what sets Oodinium apart from other types of ich is that at this point the fish have the appearance of being coated with what looks like a whitish or tan to golden colored, velvet-like film, thus the name Velvet Disease.
Remove fish from main tank and give them a FW dip or bath and then place them into a QT with vigorous aeration provided. Treat the fish in the QT with a copper-based medication. Although many over-the-counter remedies contain the general name as ich or ick treatments, carefully read the box to be sure it is specifically designed to target "Oodinium".

THE UNFORTUNATE NEWS HERE IS . . . NOW THAT TANK HAS ENDURED VELVET, YOU WILL HAVE TO LEAVE IT FREE OF FISH FOR 6-8 WEEKS (known as Fallow) TO ASSURE ALLL TROPHANTS AND CYSTS HAVE STARVED AND PERISHED, THAT WILL NOT SURVIVE WITHOUT A HOST(the fish). AT WEEK #4 AND WEEK #6 . . . . SIPHON ALL SURFACES (rock and sand ) TO REMOVE ANY DEAD ONES AND EGGS THAT MAY BE PRESENT.

OP
OP
N

Newreefer2022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the detailed post, this is very useful.. Im wondering how I got velvet? A week ago I did buy a coral from a lock guy. I did dip the coral but maybe some velvet was still on it?

I did consider giving them a fresh water dip - just RO water in 25deg c temperature for a minute or two?

I still have corals, 1 cleaner shrimp and 2 hermit craps in the main tank, can they help keep the velvet infection cycling going?

I'm thinking of moving the corals and cleaning crew to another QT towards the end (in 3/4 weeks)and maybe fill the tank with fresh water few times and then empty it before filling with salt mixed RO water?
I might do the same to my sump. I know it probably kill the good bacteria?

I will leave the other fish in the QT and monitor for amonia and change little water daily. Thanks

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 100 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back