Is this ick pls lmk fast

Donovan354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7D5EE44B-23D2-4795-9A59-AFAF99447F70.jpeg

hi is this ick please lmk fast the first pic is when i first got my pink tail trigger a few days ago and the second is what he looks like today it may just be scratches because he does like to squeeze in between the rocks and my eel and frogfish have not shown signs of ick but i came home today and the trigger was almost laying down in the sand but he saw me and got back to swimming so idk 42F6C9B6-DA99-4BE9-B3D6-98860A28E23D.jpeg

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like ich spots to me.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
7D5EE44B-23D2-4795-9A59-AFAF99447F70.jpeg

hi is this ick please lmk fast the first pic is when i first got my pink tail trigger a few days ago and the second is what he looks like today it may just be scratches because he does like to squeeze in between the rocks and my eel and frogfish have not shown signs of ick but i came home today and the trigger was almost laying down in the sand but he saw me and got back to swimming so idk 42F6C9B6-DA99-4BE9-B3D6-98860A28E23D.jpeg
Yes this guy has ich which is a parasite and needs to be treated in quarantine at your soonest. Best treatment would be coppersafe or general cure with coppersafe my choice at therapuetic level 2.25-2.5 monitored with a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna brand, not Api
Also monitor ammonia level with a reliable test kit during treatment and would not be a bad idea to add an air stone for added oxygen during treatment
You will also need to leave display tank FishLess (Fallow) for at least 6-8 weeks to assure the cysts and trophants have completed their life cycle without a host and have died off

OP
OP
D

Donovan354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this guy has ich which is a parasite and needs to be treated in quarantine at your soonest. Best treatment would be coppersafe or general cure with coppersafe my choice at therapuetic level 2.25-2.5 monitored with a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna brand, not Api
Also monitor ammonia level with a reliable test kit during treatment and would not be a bad idea to add an air stone for added oxygen during treatment
You will also need to leave display tank FishLess (Fallow) for at least 6-8 weeks to assure the cysts and trophants have completed their life cycle without a host and have died off
dang ok what about my frogfish does he look like he has ick it’s hard to tell

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 54

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like ich on the trigger to me as well. Frogfish are really succeptable to ich, but it is really difficult to see it on them. I've also had difficulty treating frogfish...they handle copper o.k., but perhaps because they have thick mucus, the copper treatments don't work well on them. Eels typically won't get ich.

Jay

OP
OP
D

Donovan354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea the eel definitely doesn’t have it the only thing i’m worried about is the frogfish but it doesn’t look like he has it yet i’m gonna take the trigger back to lfs tomorrow and wait and see if they can treat him and then see if frogfish gets it

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
dang ok what about my frogfish does he look like he has ick it’s hard to tell
dunno how I can possibly see ich on this fish but assume if in the same tank it may have it but I see nothing that jumps out

OP
OP
D

Donovan354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dunno how I can possibly see ich on this fish but assume if in the same tank it may have it but I see nothing that jumps out
image.jpg

Hi guys morning update my trigger looks like some of the spots came off so i have a feeling that those spots were the suporid worms in my tank i’m still gonna keep a close eye on him and see if it gets worse because i don’t want to stress the fish out over nothing please lmk what you think

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Hi guys morning update my trigger looks like some of the spots came off so i have a feeling that those spots were the suporid worms in my tank i’m still gonna keep a close eye on him and see if it gets worse because i don’t want to stress the fish out over nothing please lmk what you think

Just be careful - the life cycle of ich has the trophonts (the spots you see) dropping off to reproduce. That makes it look like ich goes away - but then it comes back in greater numbers. When ich first gets started, they all drop off at once since they are on the same schedule. After time, the spots will show up all the time and increase in numbers....

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
image.jpg

Spirobid worms dont hitch onto fish. Cysts may be reproducing. Be careful avoiding treatment

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you don’t want to hear this but it’s best to go fallow about 80 days (there’s debate regarding length of time). This will allow you to treat the parasitic infection properly, and as stated, will give time for the parasite to die off due to not having a host.
I have been through this and now properly QT all new fish, which I’m in the QT process as we speak.
Good thing for me during the fallow period was that my NO3 and PO4 levels were perfect! Hahaha

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Full ich cycle id up to 4 weeks. Tomonts can survive up to 45 days or shorter in warm temperatures. No reason to go 80 which is your call But very unncessesary. The stages are below and many are reproductive until final stage and without a host will die off
Old recommendation was Up to 72 days and now with studies 45-60 days

Stages:
- Trophont
- Protomont
- Tomont
- Tomite
- Theront

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be very careful. I got a pinktail from probably the same batch from the same distributor as you, about a week or so ago. It had ich and velvet. It was a living bomb. Looked fine at the lfs, then ich then velvet.

OP
OP
D

Donovan354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be careful - the life cycle of ich has the trophonts (the spots you see) dropping off to reproduce. That makes it look like ich goes away - but then it comes back in greater numbers. When ich first gets started, they all drop off at once since they are on the same schedule. After time, the spots will show up all the time and increase in numbers....

Jay

thanks i did not know this.LFS gave me some icy medicine i put the trigger in a separate quarantine tank with filter and he said there’s no need to worry about the frogfish until he starts acting funny and i see stuff that looks like icy

OP
OP
D

Donovan354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you don’t want to hear this but it’s best to go fallow about 80 days (there’s debate regarding length of time). This will allow you to treat the parasitic infection properly, and as stated, will give time for the parasite to die off due to not having a host.
I have been through this and now properly QT all new fish, which I’m in the QT process as we speak.
Good thing for me during the fallow period was that my NO3 and PO4 levels were perfect! Hahaha
thanks i’d rather hear how to do it properly then not

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back