Is this just algae or the big D?

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotten a little behind on wc's and this keeps popping up. I tried adjusting my powerhead because I thought it just wasn't getting flow, but it comes right back now. The rocks are getting a little fuzzy now too.

I'm about ready to do a big wc, just wanted some input before I get going.

Tia
PXL_20211118_201205178.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20211118_201216318.NIGHT.jpg

This is a 20g aio

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tanks a year old, I feed pretty heavy daily. 2 clowns and a firefish, tons of snails, some pom pom crabs, giant brittle star and a sand sifting star.

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested 2x, looks like NO3 0.0(API) and PO4 0.0(Salifert)
Well zeroing out on no3 and po4 for a long time is one way to get dinos. So I would say that it is dinos, maybe someone more familiar with dinos can confirm. Now whether it is dinos or not you need to raise ur po4 to 0.03 and ur no3 to 3-10 ppm. You can look into trying reef roids, redsea AB+, microbacter 7 or other bacterial blends (supposedly helps with out-competing the dinos) and feed more often. You might also want to reduce WCs, skimming, mechanical filteration etc.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks stringy enough to be dinos but need to verify as dinos and treatments get expensive and hazardous. Unfortunately there isn't just one species of dinos and a lot us (including yours truly) bought a cheap $30 kids microscope to be able to tell the difference. There's a giant dino treatment thread on here. I ended up with Ostreopsis (the worst) but it does have life cycle stage that makes UV a solid treatment option. Then it came back and I used UV with DinoX - that worked great and still don't have a return after a year, but both of my breakouts in 6 months ended up killing off all but one fish and my purple death palys. So I really hope it's not dinos for you.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks stringy enough to be dinos but need to verify as dinos and treatments get expensive and hazardous. Unfortunately there isn't just one species of dinos and a lot us (including yours truly) bought a cheap $30 kids microscope to be able to tell the difference. There's a giant dino treatment thread on here. I ended up with Ostreopsis (the worst) but it does have life cycle stage that makes UV a solid treatment option. Then it came back and I used UV with DinoX - that worked great and still don't have a return after a year, but both of my breakouts in 6 months ended up killing off all but one fish and my purple death palys. So I really hope it's not dinos for you.
How did the dinos kill off the fish though? Thats odd.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did the dinos kill off the fish though? Thats odd.
Not really...some species (including ostreopsis) of dinos are toxic (they are also what cause 'red tides' if you've heard of those). And even if fish and corals survived the first round they were weakened enough that the second round (I dialed the UV flow down too far - my fault) and the treatment with DinoX (which is basically algaecide) did the rest in.

I won't have a tank without proper sized UV and dedicated flow again.

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really...some species (including ostreopsis) of dinos are toxic (they are also what cause 'red tides' if you've heard of those). And even if fish and corals survived the first round they were weakened enough that the second round (I dialed the UV flow down too far - my fault) and the treatment with DinoX (which is basically algaecide) did the rest in.

I won't have a tank without proper sized UV and dedicated flow again.
Now Im scared of getting dinos because if my tank crashes because of it then that's it, im out lol. Any idea what led to you getting dinos?

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'm waiting on my microscope to come so I can look closer. I'm having a hard time reading through all the dino info and how to check before scope, so I'm just getting the scope.

I took out my chem pure, but I don't skim and use 2 filter flosses. I don't do heavy frequent water changes and feel like I feed pretty heavy daily. I have lots of reef roids and other sample coral foods I can start feeding with also.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its the start of Dinos.
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the start of Dinos.
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly
I can start on this, thanks. How big a wc do you suggest? It's only a 20 aio tank

I've never used peroxide in my tank, is this the regular peroxide that I have around the house for cleaning wounds??

I do have an anemone in there, will any of this hurt it? I have a smaller tank with just crabs in it I could move it to, or just keep the blues on for 5 hours.

I don't have liquid bacteria yet, but will definitely be getting some.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now Im scared of getting dinos because if my tank crashes because of it then that's it, im out lol. Any idea what led to you getting dinos?
dont let your nutrients bottom out, and don't be afraid of algae. A lot of people think algae is bad and kill it off, but algae is the main competitor that keeps dinos at bay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I can start on this, thanks. How big a wc do you suggest? It's only a 20 aio tank

I've never used peroxide in my tank, is this the regular peroxide that I have around the house for cleaning wounds??

I do have an anemone in there, will any of this hurt it? I have a smaller tank with just crabs in it I could move it to, or just keep the blues on for 5 hours.

I don't have liquid bacteria yet, but will definitely be getting some.
20% water change and peroxide very safe

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into an algae turf scrubber. Even a cheap $20 DIY one helps.
Don't feed more food then you can see them eat all up within 2 minutes.
This is treatable and panicking wont help. Just do what you can :)
I personally would stay away from any chemicals for now. Until all other options are exhausted.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to test for dinos before the 'scope arrives, you can do this:

The coffee filter test:
a) Syphon out a good sample of the gunk along with some tank water.
b) Place in a container with a lid and shake very hard for 30 seconds or so. The gunk should be dissolved now.
c) Pour the solution through a coffee filter into a clear glass. The water should be largely clear now.
d) Place the jar under a light source for roughly an hour.
e) If the gunk coagulates back into a glob, well, welcome to the club nobody really wants to be in.

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to test for dinos before the 'scope arrives, you can do this:

The coffee filter test:
a) Syphon out a good sample of the gunk along with some tank water.
b) Place in a container with a lid and shake very hard for 30 seconds or so. The gunk should be dissolved now.
c) Pour the solution through a coffee filter into a clear glass. The water should be largely clear now.
d) Place the jar under a light source for roughly an hour.
e) If the gunk coagulates back into a glob, well, welcome to the club nobody really wants to be in.
I've never heard of this test before. Sounds like a good one to do!
Thanks for sharing.

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know water changes are being recommended, IMO if they are indeed Dinos it would only fuel the fire, right now you want to increase your Nitrates and phosphates to encourage other algae to outcompete the dinos.

Only way I beat them fairly quickly in my last tank was dosing nitrates/phosphates, letting the tank get dirty, manual removal (w/o water changes) and UV. They never came back. Had to test often and dose nitrates to keep nutrients up and dinos at bay from thereon out.

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont let your nutrients bottom out, and don't be afraid of algae. A lot of people think algae is bad and kill it off, but algae is the main competitor that keeps dinos at bay
I really don't even know how I "bottomed out". I always thought I've slightly overfed so I thought that would help keep the tank slightly dirty.

Is it possible using chem pure with the filter floss pulled out too much?

Back