Is this large filter material safe to use, Chemical free. no leaching. ??

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy.. Help me out here... have a large tank and it has two over flows,, one per side. That then runs into a large horse vat sump in the basement. the overflows have a plate that allows me to use a filter media before the water goes into the basement. I would like to know if you see any issues with this product. Looking to cut this stuff into sheets as a first stage filter media on the plates before water goes into the basement.. I did post in the general discussion but no responses... NO Tackifiler which I understand to mean no chemical adhesive ?? Thank you

https://www.grainger.com/product/AIR-HANDLER-Air-Filter-Roll-4WZ72

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How could anyone here answer your question? It is an industrial product for a totally foreign application. Even if it has no tackfiler how would anyone know it doesn't have lubricants or other byproducts from the manufacture process on it.

You only hope would be if someone has already used it and even then different manufacturers could have different contaminants.

I would also point out that using that the way I think you intend to would quickly back your overflows up and have to be changed every day.

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for the comments.. the overflow cannot back up.. once the filter material is "cloogged" if funnels over and down to the standpipe and then into the basement... For those that might not be aware many of the blue and white padding you are buying in the stores is cut to size.. Who manufactures these large 100 foot rolls by 3 feet.... I have heard that is exactly what i am looking for and possible listed in my thread..

way to much to buy from BRS... I am looking to purchase the 3 foot by 100 foot roll. I will check brs again.. maybe I missed it.

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you... lets see ... I am still wondering if this similar product relabled... liked that sold by grainger.. Merv 7 v Merv 8 ... one has tackifilier other does not.. Looking to know exactly what this products are .... I note the link for the pink.. nots airfilters .... Thank you for the link WVNed... I will let you know what they come back with on pricing for large rolls if anyone else is interested...

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search "Filter Floss Roll" on Amazon. Lots of good, affordable options. I would steer away from the Pinkie rolls, only because they're the same stuff as others for more than double the price.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to buying this ‘Hobby Lobby pillow filling’ type stuff, I believe other threads have users who have tried it— but they caution to avoid the flame retardant variety of fillers. But you may want to research the issue further. Best wishes.

(PS: I am a big filter floss fan; put some in a BRS media reactor chamber all by itself and you will be amazed what it can pull out, and it can really polish your water.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep... i am currently using the stuff that is NOT flame retardant from Walmart.. but was now looking for the blue and white poly large rolls... filter floss on amazon does not seem to have the 36 inch wide by 50 foot rolls.. maybe I am just not looking hard enough..

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides the concerns about what the Grainger stuff is made of, it says it filters down to 3-10 microns, which is way too small if the idea is just to use it as a prefilter, it will clog super fast.

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I run are mesh socks to keep the algae out of my pumps.
That horse trough sounds like a great idea.
Mine looks like Frankenstein's lab.
IMG_2997_heic-M.jpg

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my Frankenstein sump...grow out ect. LOL... DYI ROLLER above sump receives water from overflows up above..
Roller and Sump.jpg

Back