Is this Lymphocystis or what?!?!

kennyymacau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just bought this fish from my LFS and it showed white spots but it’s abit more chunky so is it Lymphocystis? I’m worried, it is a a Orange tail emperor angel. And it has been in my quarantine for 3 days now, not eating. I did a 60% water change in my QT so my water chemistry is better if it is Lympho.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Difficult to see clearly- the spots on the tail fin do look like Lymphocystis, and emperor angels are notorious for getting that, but the smaller spots on the body are something else. The fish not eating is of course a bad sign. What size QT is it? Can you post the latest water quality results? What was the fish's history, do you know where it was collected, and how long ago? The reason I ask is that your tagline say Macau, and there is a huge issue with fish importers in Taiwan selling huge, but mishandled angels that really never do well. I know less of the fish suppliers in HK, but maybe there are the same issues there?

Have you begun any treatments yet?

Jay

OP
OP
K

kennyymacau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok what I did really worked well I think it is Lympho. Because after that 60% water changed he looked much better today morning macau time, like much much better. I also did a hour and a half of Paraguard dip. This fish is from maldives and in macau we don’t get Taiwan fish at all.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok what I did really worked well I think it is Lympho. Because after that 60% water changed he looked much better today morning macau time, like much much better. I also did a hour and a half of Paraguard dip. This fish is from maldives and in macau we don’t get Taiwan fish at all.

Good! Maldives is a great fish source! I am concerned though - a dip would not have controlled Lymphocystis like that, unless the lesions were physically abraded off. Please watch that they don't regrow. I've never held an adult emperor in a 14 gallon tank, but it sounds kind of small. That said, I have held them in small cubicles in a larger system and they ate of for me.

Jay

OP
OP
K

kennyymacau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good! Maldives is a great fish source! I am concerned though - a dip would not have controlled Lymphocystis like that, unless the lesions were physically abraded off. Please watch that they don't regrow. I've never held an adult emperor in a 14 gallon tank, but it sounds kind of small. That said, I have held them in small cubicles in a larger system and they ate of for me.

Jay

Don’t worry it’s a quarantine tank haha

OP
OP
K

kennyymacau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been looking much better now I will update a picture tomorrow or the day after

OP
OP
K

kennyymacau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pics of my emperor 80% healed

0F6AADF3-C69C-40C9-99F1-564E61D98A7E.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Maintain good water quality and diet
Very pretty fish
Add liquid vitamins and garlic extract for its immune system

OP
OP
K

kennyymacau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added more ceramic rings plus a 60% water change really helped. I feed it garlic pellets and it loves it. I will quarantine it for another 4-5 days then it is going into the display. My display is a fowlr tank no corals

OP
OP
K

kennyymacau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was such a long wait to get a straight striped maldives orange tail emperor. Such a amazing fish. Around 80 USD here in Macau. I am so lucky here in macau that fish prices are so cheap. A normal yellow tail emperor is only 35-45 USD.

LA Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Huge congrats..one of my dream fish. Nyaquatics has one currently for sale but they want $500 usd..ouch!

Happy he's doing much better for you.

OP
OP
K

kennyymacau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
500?! What the heck here I could buy a black tang and a gem tang together in macau. I recently bought a passer angel for 200 USD around 13cm, great size but very aggressive at this size. In macau you could also get even cheaper fish if you order right way from Hong Kong wholesalers, but I never trust their fish because it’s not treated correctly. I really want to know why western countries do not use ceramic rings, they are the best. Especially Sera Siporax ceramic rings. They also maintain copper levels Stable and allows you to have densely populated tanks with no problem.

OP
OP
K

kennyymacau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to get the message out their about the pros of using ceramic rings compared to live rocks for fowlr tank. Because people with fowlr tanks do not need to quarantine much since you can add medication. Live rocks from my experience are the worst in fowlr tanks, they can suck up medication and spit it out anytime which creates unstable water chemistry. Ceramic rings, huge skimmer and carbon are the formula to fowlr tanks in my country.

Back