Is this marine velvet or what?

Reef8008

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small blue tang who has always scratched himself since introducing him about 3 weeks ago. But his scratching has gotten worse and now I don't know if he is scrapping his scales off or if this is marine velvet or what. ? He eats well and is active. I've never been able to spot or watch respirations, etc. so can't really give that data. I do not have a quarantine tank.

Aquarium Parameters:
Aquarium type: Reef
Aquarium water volume: Biocube 32g
Filtration type: floss (three sizes), carbon, MarinePure, introduced Phosguard and Purigen 1 week ago to help bring down parameters.
Lighting: built in standard with 7hr full light cycle
How long has the aquarium been established? 7 weeks
Digital image of the aquarium under white light: see attached

Water quality (be sure to indicate what measurement units you are using)
Temperature: 79.8
pH: 7.84
Salinity / specific gravity: 35
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: haven't tested
Nitrate: 10
Phosphorus: .61
Copper: not tested

In-depth information:
Have you lost any fish to this problem yet? No
Are any invertebrates affected? Not that I have noticed.
Respiration rate of affected fish (in gill beats per minutes, count for 15 seconds and multiply by 4): Can't tell
Are the affected fish still feeding? Everyone eating fine.
What remedies have you tried so far? None
Digital image of the fish with the health issue, taken under white light: couldn't get
Short video of the fish (linked YouTube videos work well): see attached

Attachments

• Blue Tang stuff.mp4
    15.4 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can’t see video but if it has so many dots that you can’t count them looking like the solar system, velvet
Other symptoms- rapid breathing, swimming into current of power heads, and change in feeding habits
A freshwater dip will offer temporary relief

OP
OP
Reef8008

Reef8008

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t see video but if it has so many dots that you can’t count them looking like the solar system, velvet
Other symptoms- rapid breathing, swimming into current of power heads, and change in feeding habits
A freshwater dip will offer temporary relief
Thank you. If marine velvet..... best treatment? And considering I don't have a quarantine tank, and there are corals and inverts in the tank. ?

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small blue tang who has always scratched himself since introducing him about 3 weeks ago. But his scratching has gotten worse and now I don't know if he is scrapping his scales off or if this is marine velvet or what. ? He eats well and is active. I've never been able to spot or watch respirations, etc. so can't really give that data. I do not have a quarantine tank.

Aquarium Parameters:
Filtration type: floss (three sizes), carbon, MarinePure, introduced Phosguard and Purigen 1 week ago to help bring down parameters.

In-depth information:
Respiration rate of affected fish (in gill beats per minutes, count for 15 seconds and multiply by 4): Can't tell
Digital image of the fish with the health issue, taken under white light: couldn't get

If you haven't introduced anything else since you did the hippo, I imagine that it's definitely not velvet. He wouldn't have made it 3 weeks with velvet in the system.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you. If marine velvet..... best treatment? And considering I don't have a quarantine tank, and there are corals and inverts in the tank. ?
Quarantine is literally a must. Reef safe treatment such as polyp lab Medic worked for me with ruby rally pro but I believe is more of a coincidence than a successful remedy
Copper which states @ TREATS OODINUM is best but NO inverts or coral when using any form of copper . Quarantine is fairly cheap to set up and valuable for future fish and any medicating

OP
OP
Reef8008

Reef8008

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are still shots.

Attachments

• IMG_3038.JPEG
    IMG_3038.JPEG
    254.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3039.JPEG
    IMG_3039.JPEG
    248.6 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
Reef8008

Reef8008

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantine is literally a must. Reef safe treatment such as polyp lab Medic worked for me with ruby rally pro but I believe is more of a coincidence than a successful remedy
Copper which states @ TREATS OODINUM is best but NO inverts or coral when using any form of copper . Quarantine is fairly cheap to set up and valuable for future fish and any medicating
Thanks. Yeah, definitely seeing that. Being a new hobbyist, I definitely see the need for immediately setting up a QT tank. I'll get started on that. And in the meantime, see if my LFS will quarantine for me.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1631286439286.png

From the video... video is blurry when I pause it but looks like velvet to me since the whole fish looks like powdery in the video. Hope I am wrong!

There isn't anything really 100% effective in a reef tank. If there was, we wouldn't bother QTing everything in a separate tank lol.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Yeah, definitely seeing that. Being a new hobbyist, I definitely see the need for immediately setting up a QT tank. I'll get started on that. And in the meantime, see if my LFS will quarantine for me.
All the fish in tank should be treated at this point. I wouldn't rely on that LFS for anything.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Aquarium Parameters:

In-depth information:

I am suspicious that your tang may have flukes. Tough to see because it was moving so fast, but velvet would cause rapid breathing and lethargy. The still pictures show grayish lesions that isn’t marine ich.
I would dose the tank with Prazipro 2x, 7 to 10 days apart with good aeration. This is typically a safe treatment, so a good first start.
Jay

Back