Is this mushy orange blob my yellow polyps

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
this is going to sound dumb but. . .

So I went to my local Fish Store, has been wanting to pick up some yellow polyps for my soft coral Tank, they only had a tiny bit growing in the bottom of a tank already overgrown with soft corals. . .

she grabbed the substrate that the polyps were growing out of, but there were a lot of other things tagging along. She hardly charged me for the coral, and gave me the stuff that was attached, but now I can’t figure out where the yellow polyps went. I’m trying to separate everything onto their own plugs. And I don’t wanna end up throwing out the yellow polyp. There’s a Kenya tree, some sort of paly, and some orange goo. . . Is the g just a super retracted polyp?

FCE70659-8486-47E2-99BA-B8543E5370D1.jpeg

EDIT: Never mind, I found the yellow polyps, they were sucked in, and their bases were a sort of green color, they blended in with the rubble they were on

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
this is going to sound dumb but. . .

So I went to my local Fish Store, has been wanting to pick up some yellow polyps for my soft coral Tank, they only had a tiny bit growing in the bottom of a tank already overgrown with soft corals. . .

she grabbed the substrate that the polyps were growing out of, but there were a lot of other things tagging along. She hardly charged me for the coral, and gave me the stuff that was attached, but now I can’t figure out where the yellow polyps went. I’m trying to separate everything onto their own plugs. And I don’t wanna end up throwing out the yellow polyp. There’s a Kenya tree, some sort of paly, and some orange goo. . . Is the g just a super retracted polyp?

FCE70659-8486-47E2-99BA-B8543E5370D1.jpeg
May be sponge but hard to tell at picture angle

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just put it in a cup until it expands.

Also, DO NOT handle the paly with your bare hands! True palys are generally pretty dang toxic. Really, don't handle any corals with your bare hands, use gloves or tongs. Aside from hidden sharp edges and bristleworms, if you have a little cut on your hand, you could get a toxin or bacteria in it. Don't touch your rock with bare hands, either. The only reef-related wet things that are OK for bare hands are any weak-stinging anemones, like rock flower anemones. No sharp edges there.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
EDIT: Never mind, I found the yellow polyps, they were sucked in, and their bases were a sort of green color, they blended in with the rubble they were on

And oops, definitely was handling the crap out of all the corals barehanded. . .

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Go wash your hands very well, without touching your eyes, and implement a policy of not touching anything in the palythoas/zoanthid group. Most of them aren't toxic, or are only mildly so, but it can be hard to tell which species something is. So it's best to just assume that most of them are at least somewhat toxic. And some can be really, dangerously nasty. Like, "permanent vision damage from getting the slime in your eye" nasty.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Heres a picture of the little guys, still a bit angry but they’ve only been in the tank less than 24 hours.

B76F0DC7-0B07-4D4C-ADF8-395E0D8CCA50.jpeg

also, in the background you can see the “palys”, at least that’s what the gal at the store thinks they are. I tried to get a better picture but they’re still pretty close up.

70DF5D7F-4C1E-4962-ADBD-5CED8A7198CB.jpeg

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That yellow one is beautiful! Is that the name... Yellow Polyp? I haven't heard of that before.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow polyps or yellow star polyps are awesome. I just bought a frag now to see how it’s doing after vacation as I forgot about it. Used to be common back in the day due to being invasive but seems to have fallen out of flavor due to almost no flouresence under blue (my experience)

The palys, taking a long shot, may be pandoras but honestly no clue?

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That yellow one is beautiful! Is that the name... Yellow Polyp? I haven't heard of that before.
I’ve seen them labeled as yellow polyps or yellow colony polyps. I guess they can be pretty invasive. When I was doing some research some people went as far as saying they were so invasive that they shouldn’t be sold in fish stores haha

But hey, this tank is going to be soft coral only, with plenty of “invasive” species, plus I put them on a little island by themselves. . .

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen them labeled as yellow polyps or yellow colony polyps. I guess they can be pretty invasive. When I was doing some research some people went as far as saying they were so invasive that they shouldn’t be sold in fish stores haha

But hey, this tank is going to be soft coral only, with plenty of “invasive” species, plus I put them on a little island by themselves. . .
Ya, I have a xenia type (supposedly it doesn't drop babies everywhere) and it's out in the sand as well. I love the color of yours so I think it will be worth risking the invasiveness although if I find one I might be back here a year from now saying "don't under any circumstances get this coral you'll regret it". Haha

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are yellow parazoanthus (gracilis). You can find them for sale at Tidal Gardens sometimes.

Back