Is this "non-reefing" tool one of the best tools for aquarium keepers to own?

Do you agree that the SHOP VAC one of the best tools for aquarium keepers to own?

• YES

Votes: 149 39.4%
  • NO

Votes: 105 27.8%
  • NOT SURE

Votes: 116 30.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 2.1%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll start off by saying the answer, in my opinion, is YES!

Yes what? Yes for the shop vac! Yes why? Yes because it loves to eat salt creep. It loves to clean up sumps. It loves to clean sand out of old tanks. It loves to work for us reef keepers! So do you agree?

1. Do you agree that the SHOP VAC one of the best tools for aquarium keepers to own?

2. What are some ways you use a Shop Vac for reefing?

3. What Shop Vac do you use and recommend?

61+ZAAkK2oL._SL1500_.jpg

bday1335

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect for cleaning up water spills after I forget to turn of the RODI system....

nacho GIF

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer an all encompassing solution for vacuuming the sump (40 gallons) and performing water changes. I find the vac storage receptacle is too small for any meaningful project on a larger tank. I use a transfer pump and hose. In my garage is the mixing station where I prepare up to 60 gallons of new saltwater. I use the transfer pump and hose to extract the water (and also vacuum the sump) into a utility sink. Next, swap the hose connections (use quick connects with shutoff) and pump the new water from the garage into the tank. Very fast process, clean and no buckets. 30 gallons every 7 to 10 days, 60 gallons once a month, vacuum the sump every other month.

For the sand-bed, I use a siphon into a 5 gallon bucket occasionally.

Sablah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never once needed to use one, and I can't think of when I would. Salt creep? Brush it off. Clean out a sump? I do that with a python when doing a water change. Cleaning up rodi? Towels (unless you forget to turn of rodi for a long time. Spilled salt? broom and a normal vacuum (if needed). A shop vac is just to big and cumbersome for me to find a good use for it.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is great for sucking out the sand when you move a tank. The first time I found this out I bought my first shop vac. If you have ever moved a 200+ gallon sand bed without a vac you know it can be awful.

a hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 7 different vacuums, in a 1000 square foot condo.

shop vac is a constant staple of use, but for aquarium related stuff I actually recommend one of these two

Hoover PowerDash Pet Hard Floor Cleaner Machine, FH41000, White

excellent For cleaning up after light spills and salt I do not have this newest model, mine is two years old. works well on all hard floor surfaces from concrete to hardwood to tile.

I also have a carpet cleaner vac. That is good for. big spills like when I overflowed my tank while meeting a girl for a first date. There was no second date . I used the shop vac too but the Float valve didn’t work and sprayed the wall a bit...

Bissell ProHeat 2X Revolution Max Clean Pet Pro Full-Size Carpet Cleaner, 1986, with Antibacterial Formula and Bonus 3" Tough Stain Tool

I have one of these, the model that the water tank is on the bottom part, can’t find the right link.

Benefit of this is the wand, you can clean inside wet areas including when cleaning empty tanks the last bit. It does great with larger grit like mud and even sand (although I’d avoid sand, that’s shop vac time). I also love these for scrubbing concrete floors and cleaning my car. Having a dog and carpet, it Gets used occasionally for the purpose it was designed for.

I live in Arizona and dust gets everywhere, along with orher particles from aquariums and vivariums. I vacuum a few times a week. Salt creep is sprayed down with rodi in a 5g spayer then sucked up or wiped off with towels.

As for shop vacs, bigger is better. Remember to change your filter. Aftermarket hoses that are more premium material are usually worth it.

Unless you need something small. I have bought into The dewalt 20v max tool line this year. They have this mini vac for dust management that also could be good for tight spaces.

I plan to pick one of these up for touch up work around tanks and when doing woodworking outside away from power outlets.

DEWALT 20V MAX Vacuum, Wet/Dry (DCV581H)

No more talking about vacuum cleaners, you will start looking at me funny
-Andrew

ps. I prefer a canister filter to vacuum my aquarium. Oversized stuffed with mechanical media. A few modifications for flow and you’re good to go. Either return the water or have it dump somewhere else.

pps. Posted links from Amazon and that’s what happened. They’re not affiliate links to my account afaik. I’m on mobile, if any mod wants to make them like the top comment link, go for it.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back