Is this "non-reefing" tool one of the best tools for aquarium keepers to own?

Do you agree that the SHOP VAC one of the best tools for aquarium keepers to own?

• YES

Votes: 149 39.4%
  • NO

Votes: 105 27.8%
  • NOT SURE

Votes: 116 30.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 2.1%

• Total voters

Willis19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect for cleaning up water spills after I forget to turn of the RODI system....

nacho GIF
It hurts.....

arussellnsg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no sump, how would I need to use this? Rhetorical. No way to turn down the suction... IDK. I use the python suction method into 5 gal buckets. I have a few buckets so it's a process, but I love "mettling" with wifely (husbandry) duties of my tank and friends lol

arussellnsg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no sump, how would I need to use this? Rhetorical. No way to turn down the suction... IDK. I use the python suction method into 5 gal buckets. I have a few buckets so it's a process, but I love "mettling" with wifely (husbandry) duties of my tank and friends lol
Might add, I have sand bed with many inhabitants. I don't vacuum their home

rui.manuel.gaspar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one Karcher WD2 and use it all the time when cleaning the SUMP.
Just do a normal empty SUMP with hose to sewer and then the last bits of water and gunk I use the WD2
SUMP looks new after that.
Also really handy to clean all related aquarium spills, etc. Salt destroys almost everything and that's what I like about the WD2 as everything is plastic it can easily be cleaned afterwards with tap water.

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Him on water change day

I prefer an all encompassing solution for vacuuming the sump (40 gallons) and performing water changes. I find the vac storage receptacle is too small for any meaningful project on a larger tank. I use a transfer pump and hose. In my garage is the mixing station where I prepare up to 60 gallons of new saltwater. I use the transfer pump and hose to extract the water (and also vacuum the sump) into a utility sink. Next, swap the hose connections (use quick connects with shutoff) and pump the new water from the garage into the tank. Very fast process, clean and no buckets. 30 gallons every 7 to 10 days, 60 gallons once a month, vacuum the sump every other month.

For the sand-bed, I use a siphon into a 5 gallon bucket occasionally.
Agreed completely..after this poll, I got frustrated with reg pump and found a portable transfer pump at harbor freight with plastic valves and a rubber impeller with window to see clogs.. I even have quick connects which make thing so easy....its self priming and powerful. It makes cleaning a breeze using a wide angle return nozzle it cleaned my outbreak so well on the glass and reduced to ¼ inch for corners and crevices and normal clear 1 inch tube with a scrub brush attached w zip tie for rocks..all right to sump in filter sock.. and also agreed..anything with cleaning a mid or larger tank while draining water, a bucket is no good..it fills way too fast. And if it doesnt..you dont have enough power (u may think you do..till u use this..lol) bad = Overflowing buckets if big tank..instant empty tank if small. Transfer pump to filter sock/sump.. the best.. and I've tried it all.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 55 56.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 30 30.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back