OP
D

DuvalTilWeDie904

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your budget? Not sure we ever got your tank size/dimensions either.
I have a 75 gallon 48x18 ... I heard T5s would probably be the cheapest option. Will any T5 fixture work? Was thinking about getting a 4 lamp one off amazon, but wasnt sure why regular T5 fixtures cost alot cheaper than ATIs...

BobL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an Amazon T5 fixture above my tank. I just replaced the bulbs with ATIs and it worked fine. I recently replaced it with a SmatFarm LED light from Amazon for a cleaner look though.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol test kits are the right way. People just give API and other test kits crap because they haven't used them enough to know what 0 looks like on the test kits.
Absolutely. I feel people just don't know how to read the levels on the syringes. There is a correct way, and 3 wrong ways. Look it up on goggle

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429

I would begin by asking what test kit they tested with but this is 2022 …. Test kits to confirm cycles is 1990’s way of reefing
Not to start anything, but you made a statement and did not say how you come to the conclusion whether a tank is cycled

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, can anyone assist with a question concerning lighting. Like i said before, Im trying to go the inexpensive route and want the cheapest light I can grow soft or easy corals with. I can possibly upgrade further down the line.
For lights .
I have never used anything other than t5’s
Current lighting is a diy 8 bulb fixture .
there isn’t anything that doesn’t grow or requires more light than I can provide .

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to start anything, but you made a statement and did not say how you come to the conclusion whether a tank is cycled
It was a joke or possibly a jab at timed cycles compared to tested cycles .
I truly do believe Brandon is on to something but I am not a believer yet .
I’ve been reefing too long to accept any new ways of doing things .
read the other comments . I have always tested each stage of the cycle .
when the system is able to Process ammonia to nitrates in 24 hours it’s good to start stocking .

that being said .for the beginning part I’ve always measured salinity , and temp .
Tested ammonia and nitrates after the initial ammonia source was added .
Alkalinity calcium and magnesium were after adding corals .

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. I feel people just don't know how to read the levels on the syringes. There is a correct way, and 3 wrong ways. Look it up on goggle

The issue with a lot of kits is that, while they demonstrate repeatable results, the colors are not easy tin interpret. API ammonia is the best example. I can guarenteee you when 0 is on that, where as a lot of people struggle. The reason is that I have done that test hundreds of times and simply know a 0 from a non 0.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue with a lot of kits is that, while they demonstrate repeatable results, the colors are not easy tin interpret. API ammonia is the best example. I can guarenteee you when 0 is on that, where as a lot of people struggle. The reason is that I have done that test hundreds of times and simply know a 0 from a non 0.
Well like I said if you look on google you will see not just words but examples about how far off you can be as to amounts. First it HAS to be at eye level. Then the plunger on an ATI is old school, and has to be in the proper position. I only have a salifert phosphate test kit. They addressed that problem nicely by making the plunger flat which is why I think people get better results. I don't disagree with the ammonia example you gave, but if I have to squint at it more than once I think its close enough. That being said I will get Salifert kits in the future if price point is comparable

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back