Is this not a cleaner wrasse

cpalminteri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
put what I thought was a cleaner wrasse in QT with my Blue tang and today I found out about false cleaner blenny….. he hangs out and isn’t always swimming. Is he a false cleaner that’s probably just stressing my tang???
3CA9E8A2-B8EA-4372-A8B9-BE25149BB9E7.png

Attachments

• IMG_3252.MOV
    54 MB
OP
OP
C

cpalminteri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a juvenile. But now I’m also thinking it’s not. And it’s sticks to my tang like one now I’m wondering if he’s been nipping at it

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
put what I thought was a cleaner wrasse in QT with my Blue tang and today I found out about false cleaner blenny….. he hangs out and isn’t always swimming. Is he a false cleaner that’s probably just stressing my tang???
That looks to me like a neon cleaner goby (Elcatinus oceanops), which acts as a cleaner but may still stress a tang if it does not want cleaned. They don't cause direct harm, but some fish like the cleaning and others do not.

I have seen my butterflyfish want the cleaning and get annoyed by the cleaning at different times.

OP
OP
C

cpalminteri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks to me like a neon cleaner goby (Elcatinus oceanops), which acts as a cleaner but may still stress a tang if it does not want cleaned. They don't cause direct harm, but some fish like the cleaning and others do not.

I have seen my butterflyfish want the cleaning and get annoyed by the cleaning at different times.
3E9CC6AA-57E4-42E4-8FCA-FCFBF419218E.png

Yep this is him! Got him from Petco. So normally cleans? I just want to make sure he’s not mimic cleaning and actually trying to nip at my tang

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3E9CC6AA-57E4-42E4-8FCA-FCFBF419218E.png

Yep this is him! Got him from Petco. So normally cleans? I just want to make sure he’s not mimic cleaning and actually trying to nip at my tang
I don't think the cleaner gobies are big enough to actually cause harm.
They eat small parasites, which is a benefit to the cleaned fish, but they also eat mucus/scales/shed skin, just not enough to cause actual harm to the living tissue of the fish.

Though they don't cause physical harm that I am aware of, they can be a nuisance to a fish that does not want to be cleaned which can stress the fish.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kinda sorta looks like a shark nosed goby - hard to tell - check it against pictures

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, that’s a neon goby. It does the same job and will eat parasites off of fish. I have heard that they may irritate fish, not sure how common this is.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not a cleaner wrasse (they're out and about harassing the fish like the squigee guys standing on the corner). :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

On the plus side, cleaner wrasses can be real ****'s. Mine killed the valentini puffer I introduced and even took a swipe at the new mandarin before he figures out what it was (and why they're generally avoided by fish).

I still have the cleaner wrasse, but I do have to watch him closely for the first day whenever I introduce a new fish.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 on definitely cleaner goby

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a neon blue cleaner or maybe sharknose goby

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not a cleaner wrasse (they're out and about harassing the fish like the squigee guys standing on the corner). :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

On the plus side, cleaner wrasses can be real ****'s. Mine killed the valentini puffer I introduced and even took a swipe at the new mandarin before he figures out what it was (and why they're generally avoided by fish).

I still have the cleaner wrasse, but I do have to watch him closely for the first day whenever I introduce a new fish.
This. Mine would harass the hell out of a new fish. Upside it lasted some years, prolly wont replace it now that it passed.

Back