Is this not cyanobacteria?

Exus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm almost done with my 48 hr treatment of chemiclean, and it didn't seem to do anything against what I thought were Cyanobacteria in my tank. Pictures below. What is it, diatoms or maybe Dino?

IMG_20210926_133940.jpg

IMG_20210926_133952.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On the first picture - the red - looks like cyanobacteria. Does it brush off or siphon off easily? Does it seem to be minimal in the AM - and worse in the PM after the lights? Chemiclean does not make it disappear immediately. Did you keep your skimmer off - and carbon out?

OP
OP
E

Exus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the first picture - the red - looks like cyanobacteria. Does it brush off or siphon off easily? Does it seem to be minimal in the AM - and worse in the PM after the lights? Chemiclean does not make it disappear immediately. Did you keep your skimmer off - and carbon out?
When I siphon it off the rocks, there is white powdery stuff underneath. But on substrate, there isn't the white stuff and comes off in a sheet. Seems to be the same AM or PM. I took the carbon out and turned off the UV. The skimmer is on, but I just let it overflow back into sump for aeration.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I siphon it off the rocks, there is white powdery stuff underneath. But on substrate, there isn't the white stuff and comes off in a sheet. Seems to be the same AM or PM. I took the carbon out and turned off the UV. The skimmer is on, but I just let it overflow back into sump for aeration.
You can repeat the treatment.

Back