Is this Ostreopsis?

SoSublime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank just over 1 month old. So not terribly concerned.

Got some stringies so pulled out the microscope.

Ostreopsis?

20200803_185207.jpg
20200803_190739.jpg

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it to me. Welcome to hell. Although uv apparently kills them because they are free swimming, i haven't tried it for mine yet.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yup. Start fighting it now by turning off white light and add 1ml of peroxide per 10 gallons at night. If it progresses, I have a formula for you

tymo92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it. A 24W Green Machine on a 80G tank took them out within a few days of installing it. That was a few months ago and they haven't recurred since. Good luck.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peroxide huh. Well lets just say ive used 55mls of 35% h202 in 125 gallons and while it significantly reduced them, they are back just as bad as before. And worse it hurt some corals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SoSublime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought so.

I know theoretically there is dinos in -every- tank. And this tank is literally just starting into its ugly phase, which I wouldn't be surprised if its just part of this phase.

So im hesitant on dosing anything at the moment but wouldn't mind throwing the big green machine in this 13.5G

I also have liquid phosphate and nitrate (wouldn't be suprised if I have an imbalance) and microbacter7.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity what kind of rock you using?

OP
OP
S

SoSublime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My entire approach is not to "fight" anything. I just try to foster an environment to support a competitor. Going to do some more research on these bad boys. But I can say my nitrate has plunged in a week, and I'm expecting my phosphate to be at or near 0. Gonna run a phos test now, will edit with results for future reference.

So current plan of attack is nuke the tank with some good ole fashion overfeeding and reef roids, and some of my nitrate and phos supplements if it doesn't help, as well as get a UV sterilizer to stick in the tank to combat them in the free swimming stage.

Any word if this specific strain is dependent on high or low nutrient environments?

Currently there is a mess of diatoms, cyano, green algaes, dinos etc in the tank that I can see under my scope. One string under the scope is mostly diatoms and a small type of "algae" I cant identify. The others is all dinos.

Edit : Ran my phosphate test. 1ppb or 0.003ppm. Not to mention nitrate is literally plummeting. Went from 25ppm fresh cycle. To 15ppm post WC 1 1/2 weeks ago, to 3ppm yesterday.

20200803_223807.jpg

Last edited:

tymo92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used dry Marco rock as well and got Ostreopsis around the 4 month mark or so. NO3 and PO4 were plummeting for me as well and dosing NeoPhos and NeoNitro could barely keep up with it. UV sterilizer along with increasing nutrient levels got rid of them for me (but mainly the UV I think). Went from seeing only dinos under the scope, to a mix of diatoms, some cyano, and a few dinos (not Ostreopsis) in less than a week.

OP
OP
S

SoSublime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used dry Marco rock as well and got Ostreopsis around the 4 month mark or so. NO3 and PO4 were plummeting for me as well and dosing NeoPhos and NeoNitro could barely keep up with it. UV sterilizer along with increasing nutrient levels got rid of them for me (but mainly the UV I think). Went from seeing only dinos under the scope, to a mix of diatoms, some cyano, and a few dinos (not Ostreopsis) in less than a week.

Yeah I've noticed a definite decrease in dino coverage since I threw a 24w green machine in to run overnight in my 13.5g

I will actually be receiving my neophos and neonitro tomorrow, dont want to rob my chaeto grow out supplies for my nutrients.

OP
OP
S

SoSublime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: approximately 5-6 days into running a UV sterilizer over night, cleaning the rock daily, changing filter floss daily, overfeeding, and dosing Nitrate and Phosphate (still bringing those numbers up approx 2ppm nitrate and just over 0.05ppm phos), the dino population seems to be steadily decreasing each day, rock doesn't appear as "snotty" and is turning green, any strings are a fraction of their size and much less of them, and a couple zoas I pulled from another tank seem much happier. Once they seem to be all but on their last legs, I'm going to add some copepods and will add a piece of LR from my other tanks sump to help spread biodiversity in this tank as I'm sure thats a huge factor in this problem.

End result I'm fine with Cyano and algae blooms, as long as these things are pushed back into the oblivion they belong in.

I’m Batman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: approximately 5-6 days into running a UV sterilizer over night, cleaning the rock daily, changing filter floss daily, overfeeding, and dosing Nitrate and Phosphate (still bringing those numbers up approx 2ppm nitrate and just over 0.05ppm phos), the dino population seems to be steadily decreasing each day, rock doesn't appear as "snotty" and is turning green, any strings are a fraction of their size and much less of them, and a couple zoas I pulled from another tank seem much happier. Once they seem to be all but on their last legs, I'm going to add some copepods and will add a piece of LR from my other tanks sump to help spread biodiversity in this tank as I'm sure thats a huge factor in this problem.

End result I'm fine with Cyano and algae blooms, as long as these things are pushed back into the oblivion they belong in.
How did this work for you?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back