Is this QT big enough for these 2-fish

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never put new fish in a QT for precautionary purposes, until now. Apparently my luck of just going straight to the display tank with no QT, ran out. For my next batch of fish I plan to get a 2"-3" Whitetail Tang and a 2" Blue Hippo Tang.

Can they both go into a 20-Long QT together for 14-30 days? For biological filtration, all I have is a Aqueon 20 HOB rated for up to 30-gallons. Inside of the HOB filter I stuffed 9-bioballs. I already had a 3" Foxface and 2x clownfish in this QT with no ammonia issues for over 30-days. I took them out and then did a 100% water change and I'm now ready for my next group of fish to QT, in CopperSafe at the full recommended dosage.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a 20 long will be fine. That is what I use for my QT, which is currently housing (4) fish, (3) of which are 2.5" - 3".
They've been in since 3/29.

As long as it's cycled, you will be fine.

the seachem ammonia badges work great for QT tanks.

my 20 long has a HOB filter and an airstone. I also have a sponge filter that can be added if necessary.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've never put new fish in a QT for precautionary purposes, until now. Apparently my luck of just going straight to the display tank with no QT, ran out. For my next batch of fish I plan to get a 2"-3" Whitetail Tang and a 2" Blue Hippo Tang.

Can they both go into a 20-Long QT together for 14-30 days? For biological filtration, all I have is a Aqueon 20 HOB rated for up to 30-gallons. Inside of the HOB filter I stuffed 9-bioballs. I already had a 3" Foxface and 2x clownfish in this QT with no ammonia issues for over 30-days. I took them out and then did a 100% water change and I'm now ready for my next group of fish to QT, in CopperSafe at the full recommended dosage.
Yes
Be sure to monitor ammonia levels with a reliable test kit
What are you using for Qt if any?

OP
OP
ryshark

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a 20 long will be fine. That is what I use for my QT, which is currently housing (4) fish, (3) of which are 2.5" - 3".
They've been in since 3/29.

As long as it's cycled, you will be fine.

the seachem ammonia badges work great for QT tanks.

my 20 long has a HOB filter and an airstone. I also have a sponge filter that can be added if necessary.
Thanks. It is cycled, but I don’t know how much bacteria can grow on the 9x submerged bio-balls and the plastic thing that comes inside of the filter for bio. I will look into the seachem ammonia badges.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you stuff some sponges into the HOB filter? I just use sponges and filter floss in my HOB. Its quick and easy to rinse out, or replace when necessary.

I keep the sponges, just rinsing them out, so that they house bacteria and keeps the tank cycled.
The floss gets changed routinely as it gets dirty, full of food/waste.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You won’t get much bacteria established with quarantine in which you want to monitor your ammonia levels and change water as needed
Although not a necessity, some people will add copper or similar to cleanse any parasites or other preventative treatments

OP
OP
ryshark

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you stuff some sponges into the HOB filter? I just use sponges and filter floss in my HOB. Its quick and easy to rinse out, or replace when necessary.

I keep the sponges, just rinsing them out, so that they house bacteria and keeps the tank cycled.
The floss gets changed routinely as it gets dirty, full of food/waste.
Maybe if I pull out the bio-balls, but those are already cycled.

OP
OP
ryshark

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won’t get much bacteria established with quarantine in which you want to monitor your ammonia levels and change water as needed
Although not a necessity, some people will add copper or similar to cleanse any parasites or other preventative treatments
I cycled the QT awhile ago. With the fish I just took out, 1x 3" foxface and 2x clownfish, I never had to do a water change and they were in the QT for over 30-days in copper.
I fully cycled the QT before adding the foxface and clownfish.

In order to fit the bio-balls in the filter I had to take out the mechanical/carbon filter. After I took out the foxface and clowns I rinsed the bio-balls and the plastic bio piece which comes in the Aqueon 20, in the tank water and a bunch of detritus/etc came off of them (since I had to mechanical filtration). I then put them back in the filter and made sure it had water in it to keep them wet and then drained the tank and refilled for a 100% water change.

Last edited:

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of thoughts.

Regarding bio balls, foam filters or even poly fiber provide much more surface area to hold nitrifying bacteria than plastic balls. Additionally, foam or poly-fiber will trap detritus flowing through the filter. If the bio-balls have worked for you in the past, certainly use them if you prefer, but do monitor your ammonia.

I am hesitant to put two tangs in a 20 gallon QT. I've had problems doing so because they may not tolerate each other. I had a couple fight to the death.
So, be sure they have places to hide from each other in the QT and monitor closely for aggression.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hesitant to put two tangs in a 20 gallon QT. I've had problems doing so because they may not tolerate each other. I had a couple fight to the death.
So, be sure they have places to hide from each other in the QT and monitor closely for aggression.
good point. I did not even realize we were talking about two tangs here. good catch.
if they wont' get along, you can add an egg crate divider if necessary.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of thoughts.

Regarding bio balls, foam filters or even poly fiber provide much more surface area to hold nitrifying bacteria than plastic balls. Additionally, foam or poly-fiber will trap detritus flowing through the filter. If the bio-balls have worked for you in the past, certainly use them if you prefer, but do monitor your ammonia.

Good call - few people are aware that bioballs actually have very limited surface area for bacteria, and I agree that the tangs could fight.

Jay

OP
OP
ryshark

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call - few people are aware that bioballs actually have very limited surface area for bacteria, and I agree that the tangs could fight.

Jay
I’ll avoid the 2-tangs at once and if I was smart I’d avoid the blue hippo entirely. In what order would you QT this stocking list? It’s for a 120 gallon.

-Foxface One Spot
-Clownfish ocellaris x2
-Whitetail bristletooth tang
-Blue Tang (I know I should avoid it)
-Royal gramma
-Resplendent Anthias x3 or
-Springer damsel
-Sixline wrasse

Foxface and clownfish were already QT’d together and are in the display.

Next group, you think the whitetail and royal gramma together?

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll avoid the 2-tangs at once and if I was smart I’d avoid the blue hippo entirely. In what order would you QT this stocking list? It’s for a 120 gallon.

-Foxface One Spot
-Clownfish ocellaris x2
-Whitetail bristletooth tang
-Blue Tang (I know I should avoid it)
-Royal gramma
-Resplendent Anthias x3 or
-Springer damsel
-Sixline wrasse

Foxface and clownfish were already QT’d together and are in the display.

Next group the whitetail and royal gramma?
That sounds fine. I’m not a big fan of anthias - some species are pretty delicate and others may turn into males and fight. I haven’t worked with that species though…..
Jay

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
92B268A5-1CFF-46A4-973A-98316F3AF15D.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back