is this reflect good for growing algae??

sensei

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a FOWLR tank and I want to have some chaeto on the sump with a reflector to grow algae

would this reflect be good for growing algae??
Feit Electric PAR38/R/10KLED PAR38 Non-Dimmable LED Light Bulb, Red
feit.jpg

Thanks a lot

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a FOWLR tank and I want to have some chaeto on the sump with a reflector to grow algae

would this reflect be good for growing algae??
Feit Electric PAR38/R/10KLED PAR38 Non-Dimmable LED Light Bulb, Red
feit.jpg

Thanks a lot
Itll hit the red spectrum that algae uses to grow, but it doesnt cover any of the blue spectrum for chlorophyll a b absorption. Not sure how itll perform. Let's see if @Dana Riddle can provide more info :)

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen those (or similar) lamps at Lowe's but haven't picked up any to test. The Feit red LED produces light peaking at 655nm which, on paper at least, should grow marine algae. There are better choices I think. Feit makes a 10,000K LED that makes blue light at 450nm and phosphors to produce some red light as well. Feit also makes a LED 'Grow Light' that would be your best bet, I think, if you're looking for a mogul base lamp. If you can use two lamps, a combo of Feit's blue and red mogul base lamps will do the trick for sure. Intensity shouldn't be much of an issue for several reasons, not the least of which is that Chaeto doesn't need a lot of light.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back