Is this safe to use as a bottom for rock?

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
69648992-306D-4781-B458-69B31C409FE0.png

JAC-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyethylene (what you have shown) it good, it tends to leach very little into the water. Most Poly compounds are fine, PVC is another good example. I however would advise washing it and rinsing it well as it could have contaminants from the manufacturing process or handling.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the textured variety typically used though? I could see that being more difficult to clean. Algae would also likely grip it better than smooth board.

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I didn't know it was the same.
But when you get a tank with star board bottom is it loose or glued down ? Never had anything like that so I don't know.

JAC-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the textured variety typically used though? I could see that being more difficult to clean. Algae would also likely grip it better than smooth board.
Good point, I have no experience in bare bottom so can't say with experience but I wouldn't think it'd make a huge difference because the texture is going to still have the plastic smoothness and be larger bumps than say live rock or something of that nature. It would however have the advantage of providing more surface area for bacteria. I'm curious to see someone with some experience on this. I suppose all bets would be off when it was covered in coraline.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back