Ecotech Marine

Emaxx321

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Just got my new skimmer to replace a RedSea RSK 300 that was annoyingly loud. Figured this new Maxspect Jump skimmer would be the cats pajamas based on reviews I’ve read and watched.

This thing is super loud to me - way louder than my RSK 300. I’m not happy and support is saying to just let it break in. For the money I was expecting this thing to be a lot quieter than it is.

Thoughts? Am I being too picky? Or should this thing be a heck of a lot quieter?

Attachments

• IMG_2531.MOV
    48.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
AquaCave Logo Banner

JaaxReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Just got my new skimmer to replace a RedSea RSK 300 that was annoyingly loud. Figured this new Maxspect Jump skimmer would be the cats pajamas based on reviews I’ve read and watched.

This thing is super loud to me - way louder than my RSK 300. I’m not happy and support is saying to just let it break in. For the money I was expecting this thing to be a lot quieter than it is.

Thoughts? Am I being too picky? Or should this thing be a heck of a lot quieter?

I have the smaller version of the same skimmer and it is VERY quiet. Almost sounds like something is putting friction on your pump and it is straining. It can get a slight whine to it when the DC pump is getting really dirty, but that is quite loud and annoying in your video. Did you trying disassembling the pump and putting it back together again just to make sure everything is fitting right?

OP
Emaxx321

Emaxx321

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have the smaller version of the same skimmer and it is VERY quiet. Almost sounds like something is putting friction on your pump and it is straining. It can get a slight whine to it when the DC pump is getting really dirty, but that is quite loud and annoying in your video. Did you trying disassembling the pump and putting it back together again just to make sure everything is fitting right?
Coral Vue CS asked me to take the pump all the way apart and check if anything was in there. I did take everything apart and decided to try running it out of the water to check it. This definitely showed the pump being the issue.

CLICK TO VIEW LIVESTREAM

JaaxReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Coral Vue CS asked me to take the pump all the way apart and check if anything was in there. I did take everything apart and decided to try running it out of the water to check it. This definitely showed the pump being the issue.

Definitely needs a new pump… ha. It will be really quiet once that is resolved though.

Nutramar Foods
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

JaaxReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Ah could I ask what size of a tank you use the SK400 for?
I'm getting my 180G soon and thought bigger would be ... less.. maintenance haha
I use it on a 120 gallon system and the pump speed is only running at 80% with a super high bio load (lots of fish). Skims really well. I would say you could easily get away with the SK400 on a 180 if you are also running filter socks or an auto filter roll. The SK800 is a huge beast. Not sure if you would need it, and oversizing skimmers can sometimes result in poor performance unless you are feeding a ton and have a lot of fish.

AquaCave Logo Banner
AI Nero 5

How will you use the R2R App?

• IOS Device

Votes: 277 55.6%
  • Android Device

Votes: 165 33.1%
  • Neither, I'll still use the desktop or mobile version I use now!

Votes: 56 11.2%
Copepods