Is this skimmer pump too loud? New Maxspect Jump SK800

Emaxx321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my new skimmer to replace a RedSea RSK 300 that was annoyingly loud. Figured this new Maxspect Jump skimmer would be the cats pajamas based on reviews I’ve read and watched.

This thing is super loud to me - way louder than my RSK 300. I’m not happy and support is saying to just let it break in. For the money I was expecting this thing to be a lot quieter than it is.

Thoughts? Am I being too picky? Or should this thing be a heck of a lot quieter?

Attachments

• IMG_2531.MOV
    48.1 MB
Last edited:

JaaxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my new skimmer to replace a RedSea RSK 300 that was annoyingly loud. Figured this new Maxspect Jump skimmer would be the cats pajamas based on reviews I’ve read and watched.

This thing is super loud to me - way louder than my RSK 300. I’m not happy and support is saying to just let it break in. For the money I was expecting this thing to be a lot quieter than it is.

Thoughts? Am I being too picky? Or should this thing be a heck of a lot quieter?

I have the smaller version of the same skimmer and it is VERY quiet. Almost sounds like something is putting friction on your pump and it is straining. It can get a slight whine to it when the DC pump is getting really dirty, but that is quite loud and annoying in your video. Did you trying disassembling the pump and putting it back together again just to make sure everything is fitting right?

OP
OP
Emaxx321

Emaxx321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the smaller version of the same skimmer and it is VERY quiet. Almost sounds like something is putting friction on your pump and it is straining. It can get a slight whine to it when the DC pump is getting really dirty, but that is quite loud and annoying in your video. Did you trying disassembling the pump and putting it back together again just to make sure everything is fitting right?
Coral Vue CS asked me to take the pump all the way apart and check if anything was in there. I did take everything apart and decided to try running it out of the water to check it. This definitely showed the pump being the issue.

JaaxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Vue CS asked me to take the pump all the way apart and check if anything was in there. I did take everything apart and decided to try running it out of the water to check it. This definitely showed the pump being the issue.

Definitely needs a new pump… ha. It will be really quiet once that is resolved though.

OP
OP
Emaxx321

Emaxx321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new pump is on the way to me from Coral Vue. I expect to see it Thursday and will be giving the new one a go. Will update this thread with results.

Sharebear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new pump is on the way to me from Coral Vue. I expect to see it Thursday and will be giving the new one a go. Will update this thread with results.
Hope it gets resolved! I was eyeing on the Maxspect SK800 haha

JaaxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the SK400 and it has been awesome so far and very quiet for me.

Sharebear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the SK400 and it has been awesome so far and very quiet for me.
Ah could I ask what size of a tank you use the SK400 for?
I'm getting my 180G soon and thought bigger would be ... less.. maintenance haha

JaaxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah could I ask what size of a tank you use the SK400 for?
I'm getting my 180G soon and thought bigger would be ... less.. maintenance haha
I use it on a 120 gallon system and the pump speed is only running at 80% with a super high bio load (lots of fish). Skims really well. I would say you could easily get away with the SK400 on a 180 if you are also running filter socks or an auto filter roll. The SK800 is a huge beast. Not sure if you would need it, and oversizing skimmers can sometimes result in poor performance unless you are feeding a ton and have a lot of fish.

OP
OP
Emaxx321

Emaxx321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New motor arrived today and is just as loud as the original. Coral Vue is reaching out to Maxspect for recommendation on what to do.
Jon

JaaxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it is somehow the driver or controller causing some problems powering it?

OP
OP
Emaxx321

Emaxx321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Four weeks of dealing with this going back and forth with CoralVue and now I see that IS distribution exclusivity is now going to be Aperture. I’m be had enough of the runaround and I’m super frustrated.

OscarHaglund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How quiet should it be?
My ambient noise in my sump is 44db but with the skimmer on its 62 and quite noticable!

JaaxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How quiet should it be?
My ambient noise in my sump is 44db but with the skimmer on its 62 and quite noticable!
Is it the pump making noise or the air intake? My pump is very quiet, but I noticed the air intake is where most of the sound mine produces comes from.

JaaxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. If i put my finger and block the air intake almost all of the noise goes away.
What some people have done is create a secondary silencer on it by adding some hose and a cup with a hole in it. The stock air silencer isn’t amazing; one of my only complaints.

OscarHaglund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What some people have done is create a secondary silencer on it by adding some hose and a cup with a hole in it. The stock air silencer isn’t amazing; one of my only complaints.
After seeing this post this is what i did. I took a ocean nutrition pellet box and made a makeshift silencer and replaced the existing one. Doesn’t look very nice but it’s actually much quieter. If i close the cupboard doors I cant hear the skimmer anymore

jsharpe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using an SK400 for the past year. Initially it was extremely quiet, however recently I had noticed the air intake “gurgle” had gotten loud enough to hear in another room even with the cabinet doors closed. After taking it apart and doing a thorough cleaning (which is very easy with this model) I reassembled it making sure to carefully position and fully seat all the connections. It’s once again extremely quiet. I can barely hear it even putting my head next to it inside the cabinet. I don’t know what the actual cause was but if I had to guess one of the press in side air tubes might have gotten bumped loose and changed the air path since that seemed to be where the noise was coming from.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%

Back