Is this some sort of starfish? Is it good for my tank?

michaelabellz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
00113872-916B-4B3A-9573-BC4E06BC89F3.jpeg

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an asterina starfish. They reproduce very quickly by tearing themselves in half. Some people hate them for this, I don't mind them because they eat algae and detritus. There are some rare species that eat coral, but this one is probably safe. Your choice whether to throw it out or keep it, just know that from one there will be MANY more in your future.

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
toss it. I let these go for far too long. Now I think they're going after coraline and zoas. I must have picked out 150 last night and 50 tonight.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not debating what's been said, but strangely in 2 1/2 years I've never had the explosion. I seeded the tank with 300+ early on knowing I was getting a harlequin. maybe a month after I got him I was having to add 100 bi-weekly. harlie just up and disappeared one day. no idea what happened to it. since he disappeared roughly 6 months ago I have one I see periodically. :cool:

OP
OP
michaelabellz

michaelabellz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an asterina starfish. They reproduce very quickly by tearing themselves in half. Some people hate them for this, I don't mind them because they eat algae and detritus. There are some rare species that eat coral, but this one is probably safe. Your choice whether to throw it out or keep it, just know that from one there will be MANY more in your future.
Oh wow, I heard about these how fascinating. Where do these come from?

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hitchhiker, from it being on rock, looks to be the good one that eats algae. I had a bunch in my E-260 eating algae, so got a Harlequin to keep in check. Saw Harlequin other day and really has grown! Had an Asterina in her clutches, (mwahahah). They reproduce fast enough so just one Harlequin won't starve.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No good and not welcomed in any of my tanks. I had one literally eat an entire colony of bam bam zoa on me

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U cant tell what species it is. Toss it. They take on the color of what they eat. Mostly they turn green from eating all the algae. As said they will sit on zoa colonys.
D

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
toss it unless you like polka dot rocks! they eat coralline algae also. I had missed one that came on a frag I presume. Luckily I saw and caught him right away because of a clean white area on a rock in a sea of purple.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 30 31.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back