Is this some type of worm or am j seejng things?

the_chef_pierre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found this on my live rock when turning on a light on my newly cycling tank after it had been in the dark for a bit. Its very thin but appears to be attached to my rock and slightly wiggles around and expands and contracts when light is shone on it. I'm thinking it's some kind of worm since I recently found hitchhiking bristleworms but it definitely doesnt resemble a bristle worm. It's kinda hard to see since its color blends in with the rock but I circled it in the photo. It super small and really hard to see in real life and I still dont really know what it is as I'm super new to reading. Any help IDing this critter would be appreciated
20200129_035040.jpg
20200129_035040.jpg

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peanut Worm... Good hitchhiker. Eats detritus, stays in the same place.

OP
OP
T

the_chef_pierre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks for this. Definitely looks like the 2 larger live rocks I bought came with all the good hitchhikers (as this and the bristleworms were on it). It was just my little rock that has some kinda paly and hydroids on it that was the bad rock. Still pondering on just chucking it out since its fairly small

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks for this. Definitely looks like the 2 larger live rocks I bought came with all the good hitchhikers (as this and the bristleworms were on it). It was just my little rock that has some kinda paly and hydroids on it that was the bad rock. Still pondering on just chucking it out since its fairly small

I wouldn't ever just 'chuck' live rock these days. Hydroids can be removed. Palys can be moved to a frag base (CAREFULLY! Toxic...) I've had cryptic life come out after months of owning live rock that I never knew was there...

No such thing as bad rock.

OP
OP
T

the_chef_pierre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it look worth keeping in your opinion? The hydroids are near the tip and the paly looks slightly boring. Not really colorful or anything so I don't know if it's a bad one or worth keeping. What's your opinion based on how it looks if you dont mind me asking?

20200122_230642.jpg 20200123_204426.jpg

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrub the hydroids off with a toothbrush, they're not the worst case I've seen... Wait for the paly to color up.

It will not stay coffee creamer color forever.

OP
OP
T

the_chef_pierre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, true, I never thought of that. Will they likely grow back though after scrubbing? Do you think the one paly thats somehow growing on there will be worth it in the long run? I heard they can multiply and kinda take over (then again, it is a free coral right?)

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, true, I never thought of that. Will they likely grow back though after scrubbing? Do you think the one paly thats somehow growing on there will be worth it in the long run? I heard they can multiply and kinda take over (then again, it is a free coral right?)

Hydroids are colonial, so you have to make sure to scrub the entire colony, but they're also really soft shelled and brittle, so they scrub off easily. Some people have had nightmares dealing with them, Mine scrubbed away, stubborn ones can be treated with kalk paste.

The paly will grow and color up in the right light and water parameters. but it won't grow onto the sand, (Or at least mine didn't) so isolate the rock from the rest of your rockwork and use it as a 'Paly island'.

OP
OP
T

the_chef_pierre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, maybe i'll give this a shot and pull the rock out for a little scrubbing when I wake up.

Back