Is this something to worry about?

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, hope they can clean up my mess :p thanks for the help so far.. my next problem is just to find some shells those hermits... Seems i cant get them at "my" store

And about my sandbed shark, its ok its their home :)
btw my 2nd picure was about 24 hours later than my 1st.. so i might agree, i need my CUC fast .
I ordered some shells for hermits as they get bigger from Amazon and they are ENORMOUS. Buyer beware -- don't get those ones.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sucks your lfs can’t get them for you. Most do. If you can even find decorative seashells at the store, anything really small (only an inch end to end, smaller for juvies), that will suffice. Mine actually don’t change shells as much as I’d expect.
Some sacrificial snails also help. When the hermits need shells…they find them.

OP
OP
J

Jim the noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small update if anyone cares :p

I got my CUC, sadly 1 of my blue hermits was either dead on arrival or killed by the other one during acclimation.
Atm, about 28 hours after, it seems to have helped..
On the downside im having temperature issues, even after i removed my heater, im at about 80,8F, so i just ordered a cooler, hope i arrives monday.

I have a question about my CUC, i read that some of them are nocturnal, and i want to ask, is it better if i turn off all light at night, or keep my night light on ?

Attachments

• 7-10 update.jpg
    7-10 update.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 13

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small update if anyone cares :p

I got my CUC, sadly 1 of my blue hermits was either dead on arrival or killed by the other one during acclimation.
Atm, about 28 hours after, it seems to have helped..
On the downside im having temperature issues, even after i removed my heater, im at about 80,8F, so i just ordered a cooler, hope i arrives monday.

I have a question about my CUC, i read that some of them are nocturnal, and i want to ask, is it better if i turn off all light at night, or keep my night light on ?
You can keep the night light on. Honestly even my nocturnal guys are out at day.

OP
OP
J

Jim the noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like my CUC, or whats left of it, did their job :D thx for the help...

So can i just add more now, or do i need a "stabilizing period?

My plan is ofc. more coral, dont know which yet, some anemone and clownfish (the more the better)
and a few scarlet skunks...

How much of this is stupid/unrealistic or just too much?
And is my tank ready for this?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like my CUC, or whats left of it, did their job :D thx for the help...

So can i just add more now, or do i need a "stabilizing period?

My plan is ofc. more coral, dont know which yet, some anemone and clownfish (the more the better)
and a few scarlet skunks...

How much of this is stupid/unrealistic or just too much?
And is my tank ready for this?
You could probably add your first fish or too. Best to do it in phases to not overload the beneficial bacteria and risk crashing. Shrimps tend to be more fragile, I’d wait a few months. Nems are best after a year or so. After the first fish, extra hardy corals can be added, like leathers and Xenia. Best to give a week or two after most big additions like a large cuc order or fish just to let the tank adjust, at least while it’s still early.

OP
OP
J

Jim the noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish or two ? shouldnt fish be bought in pairs?
i just mean even fish need company, dont they ?

Is there a big difference in clown's or is it basicly "choose by looks"?

Would you recommend 4 clown's or 2 clown's + 2 small longfin bannerfish (Heniochus Diphreutes)
I know they get bigger, but but then i should have a bigger tank ready.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish or two ? shouldnt fish be bought in pairs?
i just mean even fish need company, dont they ?

Is there a big difference in clown's or is it basicly "choose by looks"?

Would you recommend 4 clown's or 2 clown's + 2 small longfin bannerfish (Heniochus Diphreutes)
I know they get bigger, but but then i should have a bigger tank ready.
Different fish do better in different numbers. Some are schooling, some are pair fish (like clowns), some couldn’t care less, and some hate all others. Fish don’t really get lonely except for schooling fish, but that’s more of the stress of being alone and defenseless.
Personally I don’t advise buying with an upgrade plan, I’d only buy a fish that fits in your current tank, as life is crazy. But yes they should get along.
As long as you get the same species in a clown pair (occelaris, maroon, percula, clarkii, etc.) it is fine. Then there are various color morphs. It is fine to mix color morphs for a pair, but most morphs do tend to be meaner than wild type and the pair would likely have longer term success if they are the same breed rather than different ones. At leas that was for me. My mocha killed my wild type occelaris.
The bigger will be the female and the smaller the male.

OP
OP
J

Jim the noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think ill go with 2 of each then :)

and my upgrade plan is not "if" only "when".. i only consider my 200l as learning aquarium, and later quarantine/breeding tank, as i realy hope i can convince my clowns to grow in numbers :p

Do you happen to know if they eat the same food?
I assume Omega One Marine Flakes Fish Food would work?

OP
OP
J

Jim the noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But you might have point in a few at a time, 2 clowns this week, and the bannerfish in a week or two

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure how banner fish are, but I think they are a schooling fish.
Most butterfly fish have specialized diets and may not take to flakes the same way clowns will. They may need frozen and live, but I don’t know too much about this particular species outside of them being a good alternative to moorish idols.

OP
OP
J

Jim the noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh there goes that idea then. I'd say my tank is too small for schools. Just thought schooling banner and long finned banner where 2 different relatives, not just 2 sales names.

Ocellaris or percula, which is better/most likely to breed and host anemone?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh there goes that idea then. I'd say my tank is too small for schools. Just thought schooling banner and long finned banner where 2 different relatives, not just 2 sales names.

Ocellaris or percula, which is better/most likely to breed and host anemone?
Occy and percula are practically the same, so much so that they are often crossbred. Either one will do fine for you. Breeding is surprisingly difficult though from what I’ve read. Given proper conditions both will breed though.

OP
OP
J

Jim the noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a pair of Percula's, i read that occy might be a little more aggresive when there's anemone involved, which i have a dream about getting eventualy..

But i start out with a 2 that according to seller, allready paired up, just hope thats true, + 2 Sarcophyton ehrenbergi, to give them some "hiding areas.

And thanks for the help so far, realy appreciate it :)

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s possible they will host the toadstools instead of the nems.
All you need is 2 clowns, the dominant one becomes the female and the other is the male. If the male submits, they pair up no problems. Buying already paired up should increase the odds that it works out.

OP
OP
J

Jim the noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So its been a week since my last update, my clownfish are slowly setteling in. Mostly around my heater, not sure it its just a safe corner, or they just like it xtra hot.

My algea were allmost gone a a few days after the CUC was introduced, but now its coming back..
my CUC is down to 5 Astrea, 5 Nassa's, 5 Hermits and my shrimp..
Should i get some more Astrea's to counter the algeas, or wait it out and hope it fixes itself?

Im also having issues ammonia levels, trying to find some macro algea ( i read i should help, i could be wrong)
Would adding more Nitro bac, on daily basis help on that problem? or any ideas on that one ?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So its been a week since my last update, my clownfish are slowly setteling in. Mostly around my heater, not sure it its just a safe corner, or they just like it xtra hot.

My algea were allmost gone a a few days after the CUC was introduced, but now its coming back..
my CUC is down to 5 Astrea, 5 Nassa's, 5 Hermits and my shrimp..
Should i get some more Astrea's to counter the algeas, or wait it out and hope it fixes itself?

Im also having issues ammonia levels, trying to find some macro algea ( i read i should help, i could be wrong)
Would adding more Nitro bac, on daily basis help on that problem? or any ideas on that one ?
If there is ammonia problems, I’d hold off on adding snails. Adding bacteria would help, so would coral and macro. Sounds like the bacteria can’t keep up at the moment. Water changes will help.

OP
OP
J

Jim the noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Judging from the color of my test i would say somewhere between 0,4-0,8.
Corals absorb ammonia? i actualy thought they were adding to the problem.

The water change i did a little allready, but thats temporary, the bacteria seems more logical to me, i assume i would "improve" the cycling, to get it more stabil, unless i misunderstood something.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Judging from the color of my test i would say somewhere between 0,4-0,8.
Corals absorb ammonia? i actualy thought they were adding to the problem.

The water change i did a little allready, but thats temporary, the bacteria seems more logical to me, i assume i would "improve" the cycling, to get it more stabil, unless i misunderstood something.
I don’t think it would hurt to add bacteria. Corals don’t use ammonia directly, but aid the bacteria in removing nitrates. They give the bacteria a hand so it can work harder on ammonia (I think).

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back