Is this spinoid worms? It’s everywhere.

Roccopaul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past few weeks these have exploded all over my rocks. It’s not allowing anything to grow. My three emerald crabs are eating them but not keeping up with the spread.

2AC58D75-348E-443F-A0DD-DDA6B320710D.jpeg
312A7448-D001-409D-90AC-CD2B209C038F.jpeg
8D2B8B38-8592-4A1C-B566-BAE3073A66AA.jpeg

I’ve attempted to scrub them off but not much luck denting the spread.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some reports that things like Interceptor can kill them...but such treatments aren't usually reef safe.... You would have to take the rocks out of the tank and give them a medicated soak in a tub or something.

I've never seen that many.... I was going to suggest maybe trying some bumblebee snails, which may eat them, but I don't think a few snails will make a dent in a population of that size.

keep in mind that these are a reef pest, but not a reef parasite.... they are ugly and can bother corals, but really shouldn't harm or kill them. A lot of things like this will tend to explode in numbers, only to die back later as they consume whatever they are consuming now.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
have you dosed aminos? seems to be the culprit with explosions like this or in hydroids.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not spionids. Looks like some sort of algae to me. They don't react to touch do they?

OP
OP
Roccopaul

Roccopaul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you dosed aminos? seems to be the culprit with explosions like this or in hydroids.
No, I only dose ca,alk,mg.
Not spionids. Looks like some sort of algae to me. They don't react to touch do they?
They don’t react. They sway in the flow though but are still rigid.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stuff looks crazy/nasty.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
These are colonies of tube worms and you will likely see little fans emerging from them especially when feeding. Spinoids have two little strings known as palps that emerge in search of food.
Best method of elimination is either. . . Direct water flow towards them, Not at them OR scrape away Outside of tank in a container of tank water.

OP
OP
Roccopaul

Roccopaul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are colonies of tube worms and you will likely see little fans emerging from them especially when feeding. Spinoids have two little strings known as palps that emerge in search of food.
Best method of elimination is either. . . Direct water flow towards them, Not at them OR scrape away Outside of tank in a container of tank water.
That is odd because I have a rock with tube worms and these are completely different. The tube worms get thicker and have an actual tube shape after a week. These never change. They don’t get wider or longer. They just multiply like hair. All the same size regardless of when they started.

Bothh my emerald crabs pluck them non-stop and eat them. Although they ain’t putting a dent in them. I feel like I’d need 20 emeralds to keep up. But not going to do that in a 55 gallon.

The only thing I’ve found that are exactly like I have was from a post in 2011 and no one could figure it out.

None of these hairlike things are around shells like in those pictures. Which leads me to believe what he had is two different things while I’m just dealing with the hair.

Last edited:

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These look like hydroids. There are so many of them. I do not know where to begin. Manual removal is usually ideal. But, they can retract deep into the rock.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That is odd because I have a rock with tube worms and these are completely different. The tube worms get thicker and have an actual tube shape after a week. These never change. They don’t get wider or longer. They just multiply like hair. All the same size regardless of when they started.

Bothh my emerald crabs pluck them non-stop and eat them. Although they ain’t putting a dent in them. I feel like I’d need 20 emeralds to keep up. But not going to do that in a 55 gallon.

The only thing I’ve found that are exactly like I have was from a post in 2011 and no one could figure it out.

None of these hairlike things are around shells like in those pictures. Which leads me to believe what he had is two different things while I’m just dealing with the hair.
Now that I can get to a screen at home rather than phone, these are colonial hydroids and multiply quickly. They are filter feeders and will wax and wane with available nutrient in the water column and favor plankton like foods and brine shrimp.
Smothering them with kalkwasser (pickling lime) kills them as will directing water flow towards them preventing food from reaching them. I personally would remove rock and scrape off for manual removal

OP
OP
Roccopaul

Roccopaul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I can get to a screen at home rather than phone, these are colonial hydroids and multiply quickly. They are filter feeders and will wax and wane with available nutrient in the water column and favor plankton like foods and brine shrimp.
Smothering them with kalkwasser (pickling lime) kills them as will directing water flow towards them preventing food from reaching them. I personally would remove rock and scrape off for manual removal
Thank you! Unfortunately the rock can’t be removed. I’ll have to find a way to reduce them through water adjustments.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you! Unfortunately the rock can’t be removed. I’ll have to find a way to reduce them through water adjustments.
6 line wrasse known to pick at them but I dont trust they would address this issue. Same with bumblebee snails. Starving them is best effect in erradication

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back