Is this sponge growing on my zoa/palys?

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this growing under live rock, but noticed last night it was on my rastas & utter chaos. Will dipping them kill it?
19B7843B-7B9F-4C9F-A03B-D58D19787B70.jpeg

13A9AB42-A722-434B-91B7-A04057BF58FB.jpeg

9A4DB74C-63A9-4073-9A05-593D32286B37.jpeg

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it to me. I get it on some of mine here and there too. It comes off super easy though. I’m no sponge expert but I’ve also had the purple and yellow. From my experience the tan stuff isn’t super aggressive but the purple is very and the yellow can be at times too. I take the frag out and put it in a small container with tank water and coral dip. Then get some pointy tweezers and pinch a good chunk and then drag the chunk through the rest of it. The chunk tends to grab the little stuff. Seems like when you try to pull it out bit by bit it just breaks into little pieces and takes forever to get everything. Once the majority is removed swish the frag around in the container to break loose any little pieces left behind. More than one way to skin this cat but that’s how I do it.

OP
OP
Dolelo96

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it to me. I get it on some of mine here and there too. It comes off super easy though. I’m no sponge expert but I’ve also had the purple and yellow. From my experience the tan stuff isn’t super aggressive but the purple is very and the yellow can be at times too. I take the frag out and put it in a small container with tank water and coral dip. Then get some pointy tweezers and pinch a good chunk and then drag the chunk through the rest of it. The chunk tends to grab the little stuff. Seems like when you try to pull it out bit by bit it just breaks into little pieces and takes forever to get everything. Once the majority is removed swish the frag around in the container to break loose any little pieces left behind. More than one way to skin this cat but that’s how I do it.
Of course mine came of in tiny bits and pieces:p

ReefingDaily

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen sponges that look like that! I typically get pineapple sponges on my corals lol

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back